g2 on the beach

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi !

Dry sand : it's best to keep the GB at preset settings, unless your dry sand beaches are mineralised. If you want to use disc, do not disc above 35, and just dig those 35-40 "iron" targets too, they're not always iron...

When approaching the wet sand, work parallel to the water line.

In doing so, the changes in soil conditions will be minimal.

Always ground balance manually. When on damper/wetter sand, the detector wil emit false signals, time to drop the GB. I drop it by 20 steps at a time.

In doing so, you prevent the unit to automatically GB closer to wet salt sand (gb = 0), which means losing sensitivity to small gold.

In fact, on damp sand, the highest level of manual GB you can use without too much ground chatter is the best.

On wet sand, you can"t avoid the "zero" GB setting, but still will find rings, pendants, etc.

Great unit, I complemented mine with the 5"DD coil for trash and damp sand work . Smaller coils get smaller go...ehm targets, and handle ground conditions better due to smaller scanned surface.

On the beach, you need to be creative.

HH

Grumpy

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, while im waiting for its return from the shop.wondering if anyone has used a g2 on the beach.any feedback would be helpfull thanks

Agree with Olegrumpy, my G2 is relatively stable on wet sand with a ground balance of 0.0. However it still falses on pockets of salt mineralization on a very regular basis even with reduced gain. The problem is salinity levels vary by beach due to geographical,geological and wave action variables. For example the salinity levels on Miami Beach are very high, while mineral magnetite and other concentrations are extremely low. The G2 here performs just okay 50% of the time, it can find a nickel 6-7" down (100% gain GB 0.0 disc 39) at most even listening for the whispers in the soaking wet sand, while i know i can airtest 13" with disc at 39 100% gain on a nickel . In my test garden it can find it at 10" with no problems. The G2 has no problems being stable at 100% gain on the wet sand, however it will false on salt pockets every 6 feet or so requiring 90 degree sweeps to rule out salt pockets and scraping some sand of the top every 6 feet. This is very time consuming and all this for 7" of depth. I recommend a machine that can work the wet sand and the dry. Or get two machines designed for the tasks at hand.

OP
OP
T

trashman

Jun 6, 2014
edgewater
Detector(s) used
bountyhunter trk4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the great info sfd and grumpy, cant wait for its return so i can try it out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread