Omega on the way. Any tips or tricks?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm officially no longer a Whites man and have traded up to the Omega. I was wondering what tips and tricks you all might bestow upon me to get me up to speed. I hunt mostly colonial era homesteads for mostly deep silver and relics, but would also like to do a little nugget hunting as we are in a gold rich area. These homestead sites aren't pristine and often contain hundreds of years worth of square nails and other iron farm bits. I've dug targets from 3" down to 15" (buggy spring), so hopefully the Omega can carry the water. :icon_thumleft:

I've read so much praise about the DD coil, yet some of the Omega experts claim the concentric goes deeper. Any input or opinions? I'm starting with the concentric which I normally don't use often on the VX3. I want to make sure I like it enough to invest in more coils, but what are the preferred coils and where's the best place for used units?

Lastly, how does the Omega compare to the F75LTD, T2 and G2? All of those were in the running for me a couple years back. I'd just like to know how they stack up against my new Omega and if I need to possibly invest in a companion unit.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hits hard on coins. I've dug VERY few "iffy" signals that ended up being a coin, most of the time you will know when your on a coin.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Juice and welcome to team Teknetics! :)
Love my Omega and like Man o War replied, you will do well coin shooting with it and finding silver. My suggestion would be to check out the other Omega related postings in the Teknetics Brands forum as you will find a whole bunch of info that has already been posted (comparisons, target id info, coil preferences, etc) I have never used the F75, T2 or G2 so I can't offer you any comparison info; but, I will say that I do prefer the concentric instead of the DD. I find that I get just as deep when using either and the concentric is just so much easier at placing your object's location. I was always finding myself slightly left or right when using the DD; but, with the concentric I tend to nail my find dead center. My other recommendations would be to pick up the 5" sharpshooter if you like the Omega and if you hunt trashy areas. You don't get as much depth/coverage as you would with the 8" concentric or 11" DD but the target separation is awesome.
You also mention, a companion machine. I would look at something that is waterproof if you plan on hitting any rivers/lakes/beaches. The Omega is great for land hunting; but, I do not use it when I hit areas such as beaches or lakes (I use my CZ21 for that)

Best of Luck and definitely check out the other postings in that forum as I'm sure you will find the info you are looking for.

-TwoYewts

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Man o' War and TwoYewts. I've read through the instruction manual and took it for a 2 hour spin last night in my yard. I found a quarter sized erotic astrological token, but it also hit hard on a 4" deep aluminum kitchen fire extinguisher that identified as a quarter. EMI wasn't bad with the concentric and I was running it at 99 sensitivity in DISC mode 3 & 4 (mostly). I chased a hard hit on a 'dime' at 8-9", but when I dug it up, I couldn't locate it with the Garret pinpointer or the Omega. Ghost signal? Everything else was dug at around 4-5". This thing is light weight for sure! I'm just going to have to ring it out (pardon the pun) to see if she's a keeper. :laughing7:

I do have a few questions for any Omega user or Teknetics users who may have experience with the Omega where the manual was not very informative or just poorly written:

What do the different search modes represent specifically, what are their differences and how does each affect depth? How do you utilize each mode (i.e. which do you choose for which type of hunting site)? Which is your favorite and why?

Is Auto Tune (AT) a true metal channel and does it automatically ground balance? What is it automatically tuning and what is its purpose? I notice this channel is very noisy when the gain is increased. I've read this is the deepest mode, yet I can't increase the gain lest I lose my mind from noise overload.

The manual says to ground balance in AT. If I'm not planning to hunt in AT, shouldn't I GB in the mode I'm planning on using?

I notice while hunting that the little GB meter sometimes shows bars above and below and this comes some period after doing a GB. Is this the time when I should do another ground balance or should I simply use the +/- feature at this time?

My GB phase number is 75-78 (Bttm right box). This after repeated ground balancing in my yard and adjacent field. What does this mean? Is this a numerical representation of the Fe meter in the top right corner? I see nothing in the manual indicating exactly what this number is and how to use this number. If it is a numerical representation of the mineralization of the ground (my guess), I see no scale anywhere.

Where is the depth meter when swinging over a target?

When in pin point mode, where is exactly is the target located in reference to the search coil? I didn't have time to do sufficient testing in my yard that contains limited 'good' targets.

Thanks for answers to any or all of my questions!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Juice,
Might not have all of your answers but will try poking at some.

Q -What do the different search modes represent specifically, what are their differences and how does each affect depth? How do you utilize each mode (i.e. which do you choose for which type of hunting site)? Which is your favorite and why?

A - The only modes I know of on the Omega is AT mode and any click to the left of AT being DISC mode. I typically set my Omega to 16 and leave it at that setting. This allows me to discriminate most iron objects that I'm not interested in. The higher you raise the number you will notice that the machine will auto notch out certain targets. I leave mine at 16 because as I said it eliminates large iron objects and still allows me to find smaller iron relics and other targets. If I am hunting for something specific, I will use the notch feature to further notch out targets. From my understanding the higher you raise the DISC number, it begins to slightly affect depth as well since you are narrowing the signal field you are looking to receive. I can honestly say that I have consistently hit targets at 9 to 10" without issue at the 16 DISC setting.

Q - Is Auto Tune (AT) a true metal channel and does it automatically ground balance? What is it automatically tuning and what is its purpose? I notice this channel is very noisy when the gain is increased. I've read this is the deepest mode, yet I can't increase the gain lest I lose my mind from noise overload.

A - AT is an all metal channel that does not distinguish with tone what your machine is passing over. You just get a standard tone if you pass over metal regardless of what it is. This would be your deepest possible setting since you are running the machine completely open and not having it try and filter out any signals; but, it will also be your absolute chattiest mode by far. I do not typically run AT when hunting with Omega. I also never run my Omega completely hot at 99% sensitivity. I typically stop at 70 or 75. I believe above 75 the machine starts to pick up internal circuitry causing a lot of chatter and false/ghost signals. Sometimes due to EMI, I have to run mine at 55 or 60; but, I have never had to run it lower and I still find plenty of targets at these sensitivity settings.

Q - The manual says to ground balance in AT. If I'm not planning to hunt in AT, shouldn't I GB in the mode I'm planning on using?

A- Good question, thinking about it...I generally ground balance with the machine set at the 16 DISC setting. I don't believe I have ever done a ground grab at the AT mode.

Q - I notice while hunting that the little GB meter sometimes shows bars above and below and this comes some period after doing a GB. Is this the time when I should do another ground balance or should I simply use the +/- feature at this time?

A - The bars will consistently change as you move over terrain. I typically do not do another ground grab unless I see that the bars stay way above or way below the level line for a good period of time or if I am entering a different type of area (example, moving from sandy tot lot to grass field) I will do another ground grab.

Q- My GB phase number is 75-78 (Bttm right box).
A - If you mean the number in the upper right, then yes that is a numerical representation of the Fe3O4 concentration that the Omega detects beneath the coil.

Q - Where is the depth meter when swinging over a target?
A - You have to pinpoint to see the depth numbers. If you hold pinpoint while swinging, the depth will take the place of the VDI number field

Q - When in pin point mode, where is exactly is the target located in reference to the search coil?
A - Depends what type of coil you are using. If you are using the 8" concentric it is typically dead center of coil. If you are using the 11"DD then I have found it to be just north of a small circular impression near where the shaft meets the coil. If you need a visual, do a search in the Brands -> Teknetics forum as I had posted a pic in reply to a similar thread.

Hope that helps!
-TwoYewts

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply! When I speak of search modes, I'm talking about tones (D1, D2, D3 and D4). In some of the posts I've read, certain posters have described them as search modes and act as if they react differently to various targets and that some go deeper than others.

I see the depth readout when I PP, but the manual speaks of a depth reading while sweeping. I believe the segmented sections just under the main display light up to only give an idea of depth. They're fully lit in the pic below and directly above the wording "Target ID." I'll have a chance to mess with it tomorrow and report back.

The GB phase number (my wording) is in the bottom right of this picture and reads 46. Mine reads around 75-78 consistently. I'm thinking this is measuring the minerals in the ground much like the Whites detectors do. I was unable to find a chart however that shows what the various readings mean. My Fe meter reads either no bars or one bar.

teknetics-omega-8000.jpg

Last edited:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Juice,
Thanks for the clarification. Here are my 2 cents on the items you clarified:

Q - When I speak of search modes, I'm talking about tones (D1, D2, D3 and D4).
A- In regards to Tones, I believe all those do is set how the Omega identifies targets for you. For example, I'm mostly a coin shooter and therefore tend to use D3 or D4. D3 gives me 3 distinct tones (low, mid, high) where D4 gives me an extra distinct tone for nickel range targets. I believe D1 and D2 are more for relic hunters. As for depth, I honestly do not know. I cant say that I have seen a difference when I switch between D3 to D4.

Q-I see the depth readout when I PP, but the manual speaks of a depth reading while sweeping. I believe the segmented sections just under the main display light up to only give an idea of depth.
A- Yes, sorry should have referred to those. My take is that offers you the signal strength of the target signal you receive. So a target closer to the surface will give you a stronger (more bars) signal return. But for getting an actual depth reading, I will use pinpoint mode to get a better idea

Q-The GB phase number (my wording) is in the bottom right of this picture and reads 46. Mine reads around 75-78 consistently
A-That is indeed the ground balance number that your machine is reading (as long as the word ground is beneath the number). As for a chart that will indicate what values mean in terms of ground conditions, I am unaware of any. If I find one I will gladly share it :)

-TwoYewts

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omega, awesome machine, it will find the goodies in amonst those square nails you mention. I prefer the stock coil and just "wiggle" it around short swings in different directions.

Not to argue will anyone, just to add in my own "simple" words....

Coils, your first question, I find the 11DD will get maybe an extra 1/2 inch, to me it is not worth it, the stock coil is only 5 inches wide, the separation, and maneuverability between corn stalks, rocks, make it more valueable...to me. That said I have ordered a NEL hunter which is 8.5 X 12.5 inches, just to try, as "I hear" it is supposed to be quieter....we'll see.

How does it compare to G2, F75LTD, I prefer Omega to G2 because of better tones, F75 is deeper, but nearly twice the $$.

GB chart. there are charts in some manuals, I wouldn't be too concerned about that but this is what it says in one of them

"typical GB readings"
80-99 highly ferrous (magnetite, ferrous oxide minerals, black sands, hot rocks)
60-80 moderately mineralized soils (red clay, brown clay, iron bearingclay minerals)
20-60 likely an iron object
0-20 highly conductive non-ferrous minerals, such as salt water

Tones D2, D3 etc. I much prefer the default D3, and yes there is a lot of "talk" about how D2 is deeper....nonsense.

Ground Balance, you mention you tried it in a few places, and it always comes up 75-78 so that will "probably" be average for your area. For "most" hunting it is not critical. What I like about Omega is it is simple, I just turn on wide open, start swinging, push down arrow till I hit my average GB number. No looking for a spot with no mineral or metal, anyway.. The exception to this is when your looking for that small gold you will want to be more fussy about it then.

You can certainly GB in DISC mode as well.

AT Mode, yes it's a true all metal mode, no it does not auto GB, at least not in the way some detectors do, but will GB itself by pushing a button, and pumping the coil.
Not sure I can explain the "AT auto tune" well but more or less it is constantly compensating to make things go away...say you swing over a hot rock once, you get a beep, very often the second sweep there will not be a beep, that is auto tune. Move the coil away for a few seconds, then swing over the same hot rock again, and you get the one beep. I think for the most part detectors today do this in DISC mode as well.

Also the reason the noise increases with high "gain in this mode is the "gain" becomes the threshold in AT mode, and shold not be turned up to that point.

As far as a gold machine, I've had a GB2 it was actually my first, and I can tell you Omega will hold it's own. It will pick up this piece at 3.5 to 4 inches with stock coil (10" elip.) it weighs about 1/10th of a gram.

IMG_1037.JPG

Last I guess, I never went by the "signal strength" meter for a sense of depth, I use the pin point button, not for pin pointing, but to get the number in inches, and I do do this every time, because I know if it says 6 inches, and I have gone down 8 it is NOT going to be a coin sized object.

@ twoyewts your CZ21 sure is a nice "companion". I'd like one of those too, but don't get in the water much, so a CZ3D is an OK sub. for the salt beaches.

Last edited:

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
attached is some files someone emailed me many moons ago.

Attachments

• Iron Discrimination.doc
    29 KB · Views: 87
  • Omega Bench Test Results.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 63
  • OMEGA NOTES 2.doc
    444.5 KB · Views: 133

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
A couple of things I will add to the excellent answers you have been getting. I bought a vaquero because of a wrist injury. My M6 was to heavy for my situation .I traded the vaquero for a Gamma. Which I found lots of coins and jewelry, it was lots of fun. I then bought a Omega (new,version 4) and it is my go to detector. Here are a few tips on features. The signal indicator in the center above your target ID no. is a good way to tell depth before engaging pin point. Another but very little talked about feature is the tone options in the AT mode. A1-A4 are tone changes that allow you to pick one of 4 that is comfortable to you when hunting in the AT Mode. I have hunted in the AT or all metal mode while use the gamma and omega more than machines since starting this hobby in 1979.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT as in the all metal mode?

A couple of things I will add to the excellent answers you have been getting. I bought a vaquero because of a wrist injury. My M6 was to heavy for my situation .I traded the vaquero for a Gamma. Which I found lots of coins and jewelry, it was lots of fun. I then bought a Omega (new,version 4) and it is my go to detector. Here are a few tips on features. The signal indicator in the center above your target ID no. is a good way to tell depth before engaging pin point. Another but very little talked about feature is the tone options in the AT mode. A1-A4 are tone changes that allow you to pick one of 4 that is comfortable to you when hunting in the AT Mode. I have hunted in the AT or all metal mode while use the gamma and omega more than machines since starting this hobby in 1979.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread