I Have A Teknetics Omega 8500 Headed My Way

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll be interested in your comments Tabman, I;m very curious what improvements over the 8000 which I have had for a couple years.
Particularly want to know about thevariable audio for iron, and also the boost function.
good luck with it, and look forward to your comments.

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From reading the reviews and reports, it seems like it has gotten lukewarm reviews. Not bad, but just the feeling that it's not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading. Personally, I'd be excited about it just for the backlight lol. I am a huge fan of the 8000, and I know you have used one quite a bit, so I'll be anxious to hear about it. I know you and me are both Tesoro people at heart, so I feel like you can give us the real skinny on it

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck on your new purchase of the Omega 8500!....Give us a review of what you think of it after a few trial hunts! I see that you have owned the Omega 8000 so you should be able to compare the two to notice if the 8500 is any better especially when it comes to EMI or if the new features of the 8500 has any additional advantage over the 8000...Thanks and all the best, Tabman!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hanging on to my Omega 8000 for a while until I can do some side by side comparisons at different sites. I'm mainly want to check to see the how each detector handles EMI at different sites. I downloaded the Omega 8500's manual so I'll be ready to put it though its paces when it arrives. Is it worth upgrading from my Omega 8000 version 5 to the new Omega 8500? Time will tell.

tabman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the new detector. Let us know. I like to collect them too, so I'll be curious to know if I should consider getting one! The ETRAC is next on my list though!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of my hunt today with my F75SE-DST I got 15 minutes or so of swing time in with the Omega 8500. Not bad at all! It's a different animal than the 8000, but it still hits coins super hard. It also handles EMI better and is deeper on coins. The fast mode is going to come in handy as well. The only thing that I dislike some is that its audio tone sounds more digital, especially the high tone.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how's the 8500 doin' for you now that you've used it for a while??

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sold it to me about a month ago because he didn't like the overly digital sounding tones. I think it makes a great backup to my F75. But just got my upgraded T2 back from FTP so I'm probably going to have to sell something...we'll see. Head-to-head, Deus kicks all of them in the tuckus, but I have had my lowly but capable Delta find things the Deus has missed. Why do I keep them around? They each serve their purposes for different types of detecting. The T2 has a big 15" coil for deep seeking but can't accommodate concentric coils of any type. The F75 is probably 2nd to my Deus in overall capability and with a closed smaller elliptical dd coil can search in tight spots the Deus can't touch. The 8500 serves as the backup to the F75 with similar coil options and makes a good loaner machine because the interface is intuitive and easy and performance is close to the F75. The tones are definitely more digital sounding than the F75 and T2, but I don't find them as objectionable as tabman did. The Delta is now my kids machine when they go hunting with me.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He sold it to me about a month ago because he didn't like the overly digital sounding tones. I think it makes a great backup to my F75. But just got my upgraded T2 back from FTP so I'm probably going to have to sell something...we'll see. Head-to-head, Deus kicks all of them in the tuckus, but I have had my lowly but capable Delta find things the Deus has missed. Why do I keep them around? They each serve their purposes for different types of detecting. The T2 has a big 15" coil for deep seeking but can't accommodate concentric coils of any type. The F75 is probably 2nd to my Deus in overall capability and with a closed smaller elliptical dd coil can search in tight spots the Deus can't touch. The 8500 serves as the backup to the F75 with similar coil options and makes a good loaner machine because the interface is intuitive and easy and performance is close to the F75. The tones are definitely more digital sounding than the F75 and T2, but I don't find them as objectionable as tabman did. The Delta is now my kids machine when they go hunting with me.

I used the Delta for over a year and just upgraded to the Omega but I have no intention of letting the Delta go. You're right, it's very capable.

My plan is a NEL coil upgrade on the Omega and to put the 10" concentric on the Delta and see how it does. It may not do much but it certainly can't hurt.
Between the two I feel like I'm pretty well armed for now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a Nel Sharpshooter or Snake coil for the Omega would be a great move. I would tend towards the Snake because it is a closed coil design which is good for tight spots and bushes and brambles. I don't think the performance difference would be noticeable between the two with a little more coverage per sweep with the larger sharpshooter. Besides swapping the 10" elliptical biaxial coil onto the Delta (which agree won't make too much difference), you might be pleasantly surprised how the 8" Delta concentric performs on the Omega. I think that is what makes the Delta pull some targets that higher-end detectors miss with their DD coils. The DD coils give you depth but the concentric coil is very sensitive to helping you ID targets that might register as keepers on a DD coil but are actually trash (rusted bottlecaps), the elliptical biaxial coils (like the Omega's stock 10" coil) are a little less effective at this from my experience,but I could just be imagining things. Plus the inherent inverse conical detection space of the concentric coil enables more precise pinpointing. Let us know how you like your NEL coil when you have had a chance to try it out.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting a Nel Sharpshooter or Snake coil for the Omega would be a great move. I would tend towards the Snake because it is a closed coil design which is good for tight spots and bushes and brambles. I don't think the performance difference would be noticeable between the two with a little more coverage per sweep with the larger sharpshooter. Besides swapping the 10" elliptical biaxial coil onto the Delta (which agree won't make too much difference), you might be pleasantly surprised how the 8" Delta concentric performs on the Omega. I think that is what makes the Delta pull some targets that higher-end detectors miss with their DD coils. The DD coils give you depth but the concentric coil is very sensitive to helping you ID targets that might register as keepers on a DD coil but are actually trash (rusted bottlecaps), the elliptical biaxial coils (like the Omega's stock 10" coil) are a little less effective at this from my experience,but I could just be imagining things. Plus the inherent inverse conical detection space of the concentric coil enables more precise pinpointing. Let us know how you like your NEL coil when you have had a chance to try it out.

It'll probably be a little while before I get the coil. I have a few car repairs to take care of first. I hope to have one some time in May.
I just ordered a neoprene rain cover last night. Until now I've been using a Ziploc and a rubber band but I figured I'd splurge and spend the 20 bucks this time.

Last edited:

slufbeer

Oct 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello detectorist .
I once had a teknetics omega 8000 .I am now looking for a second hand teknetics omega 8500
Is there ayone willing to sell ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread