Omega 8000 in D2: I like it!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would share some thoughts on using the Omega/NEL Sharpshooter at an old home site (1905) with 2 tones. I had never tried D2 for more than a few minutes at a time, but thought this time I would go back over an old site that I had hit before when using 3/4 tones. I was able to run sensitivity at 95 or so at this site, there were telephone lines above but no probs with EMI, but for the majority I was running 70-75, occasionally cranking up sens on fainter targets as needed. I set disc at 16 and forced myself to dig anything that bounced even 10-12 numbers, except for the low iron tones. I noticed right away that I was more motivated to dig when a high tone came out through all the machine gun fire of iron at this site. Found 2 Win. No 12 shotgun shells (1904-1927) & 2 UMC-REM shells (1930'2-1950), 3 .22 shells from 1920's, 2 copper lincolns from 1960's, a few tiny brass clothes rivets, a few beaver tails, etc... Not a whole lot of interesting stuff, but this is a super trashy iron filled site & it's stuff that I missed when using multi tones. Trash is so bad here, I am actually shocked to find anything in this site, lol. I was also very impressed with the NEL Sharpshooter's ability to find the small brass rivets at 4-5" deep. I feel more compelled to dig using 2 tones, as the high tone makes you want to see what you may be missing & maybe not concentrate on the ID as much. I think coming from the X-Terra, I was used to using so many tones (19), I just haven't given the D2 chance on the Omega.
I am going to try using the 2 tone at some parks & see if I can be disciplined enough to dig all those iffy signals in the gold (foil/nickel/zinc) range! So, if you haven't given D2 a try, give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using the D2 audio tone in the pull tab test, because I like its audio tone better than the D1 audio tone. It did amazingly well in this test if you ignored the VDI numbers. You can also set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate a iron nail and then dig all audio targets. I'll test the 8000 both ways again and when I get the 8500 I'll test it as well to see how they compare.

The Omega is a very nice detector.

tabman

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the D2 audio tone in the pull tab test, because I like its audio tone better than the D1 audio tone. It did amazingly well in this test if you ignored the VDI numbers. You can also set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate a iron nail and then dig all audio targets. I'll test the 8000 both ways again and when I get the 8500 I'll test it as well to see how they compare.

The Omega is a very nice detector.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5vPPv4xYk

tabman
Good to hear it did well! I am planning to hit this site again, there were 3 buildings (torn down now) on at least an acre in 1905. I was looking at the Omega 8500, I don't hunt at night so backlight is no issue, but the adjustable tone volumes sounds very intriguing. I love the Omega. If the 8500 is much better, I may see one in my future. Keep us posted on the 8500.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try it in 1 tone with just enough disc to knock out nails (sound familiar?). Usually around 16. It will be killer with the 5" sharp coil. I had one on a T2 classic. Very well built coil and coil bolt they ship with the coil.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try it in 1 tone with just enough disc to knock out nails (sound familiar?). Usually around 16. It will be killer with the 5" sharp coil. I had one on a T2 classic. Very well built coil and coil bolt they ship with the coil.
I was thinking that earlier as I read Tab's post regarding D1! If the disc is accurate enough & I still have the numbers (just in case) it's worth a shot, haha. I got that NEL Sharp coil today, and as you said Walt, it is very well made, as is the Sharpshooter I normally use. Playing with some small lead pieces, using a 3 grain piece I was able to get out 2+" in air with sens at 67, 6 grainer hit 3" and 12 grains nearly 5". Not bad for a 7.69 kHz detector. About the same air tests as my Vaquero with 5.75" widescan, which found some small lead shot in the 2 grain size in AM. I may be picking up an original Gold Bug if the guy still has it, but I want to see how this Omega does in the gold bearing areas until then. If I can find that small lead in the hotter ground, that will be reassuring. Hoping to finish work early enough to get the Sharp out for a test run at one of my "hunted out" old home sites tomorrow, may just give that D1 a try as well. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Omega coming tomorrow and I can't wait to get started with it.

My Delta also finds really small targets like rivets, fragments of .22 shell casings, bits of copper wire, beaver tail fragments, etc. It's amazing how deep that thing will pick up on such tiny targets. I'm assuming that the Omega will do the same and hopefully even more.

I'm used to hunting with three tones after using the Delta and having even more tones is something I've been thinking about. I wasn't even aware you could change that with the Omega. I started with a BH Tracker IV which only has two tones so I'll definitely have to give it a try and see how I like it with the Omega.

Everything I've seen and heard about the Omega has me convinced I'm really gonna' like it. Thanks for the tip.
I'll try D2 at some point and report back....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread