Any Luck with Bluetooth?

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone had success with Bluetooth earphones?

I tried some with two detectors: Garrett GTI2500, and Teknetics Omega 8000.

I connected a miniature Bluetooth transmitter to the detector's earphones socket. The Bluetooth headphones linked to it perfectly.

The problem is the Bluetooth time "latency" -- the time delay until the sound is heard in the headphones.

The delay wouldn't be a problem, if just listening to some music. It's a big problem for detecting.

When swinging the coil, the sounds you hear are not close to the coil's position. The sound comes after about a half-second delay. The coil has already moved away from that spot.

- - -

Here's an example.

Suppose your coil sweep is about four feet wide, with about two seconds of time from end to end.

If there's a target in the sweep, the delay makes the sound come at about 8 inches to each side of the target.

... Swinging to the right, the sound comes about 8 inches to the right of the target.

... Sweeping back to the left, the sound is about 8 inches to the left of the target.

The only way to find the target's actual position is to sweep very slowly -- at about one foot per second. Even then, going back and forth, the sound comes at two different positions several inches apart. (And also the slow sweep speed affects the way the detector works.)

If there's also trash around the target, then you get multiple sounds at different spots, that change position when you're swinging to the right or to the left.

I found it unusable.

It's just very slow and tedious to sort out the sounds, and to figure out where they're coming from.

Pinpointing is OK, because you're sweeping very slowly anyway.

- - -

Instead of Bluetooth, I could try an FM wireless radio setup, but the Omega doesn't like the RFI. The GTI seems OK with it.

Has anyone had success with Bluetooth?

Many thanks for ideas.

Joe

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had considered using a Bluetooth setup but it looks like you saved me a few bucks so thanks for the post.

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
I have tried the exact same thing. Using a Bluetooth receiver and Bluetooth headphones on my T2SE and had the same problem with delay. It just does not work when applying the idea to metal detecting. I thought about trying the FM route as well.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was gonna' try bluetooth but decided against it for the very reasons you've posted. maybe one day the technology will be better but until then it's better to get the right wireless setup.
Deteknix has a wireless setup for about 90 bucks that's been rated pretty well. I'm getting close to just buying it...

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
I have tried a couple Bluetooth options but the delay is what kills it for me. I tried the FM route as well with a small transmitter but when I would swing the detector I would get static. I've given up for the time being.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bluetooth works if you have an APTX low latency chipset on the transmit and receive sides. With it...you have sub 40ms delay which is fairly fast and will seem lag free to your ears.

Without APTX...just buy something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread