Delta 4000 issue / question

helmethead

Greenie
Feb 22, 2017
DFW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first detector is a delta 4000. I have really liked it a lot except for a few quirks. We even did a YouTube video comparing it to our new Garrett at pro and it did remarkably well!

Unfortunately the mode switching is messed up and I was wondering if anyone knew of some way to "reset" the detector before I bother sending it in.

Problem: when I turn it on, it defaults to discriminate mode, but then if I press mode button, it goes to pinpoint mode (even though the display reads "all metal" mode. You can tell by the sound that it is pinpoint mode. When I press mode a second time it stays in pinpoint mode...display still reads "all metal" mode. Then pressing mode button a third time returns to discriminate mode.

It isn't such a big deal because I can always lower the discrimination in discriminate mode to include all metals...so it probably isn't worth sending in.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or if there was a reset button.

Thanks
Brian

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems Teknetics does a sloppy job of testing for software bugs, but they are a great value.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems Teknetics does a sloppy job of testing for software bugs, but they are a great value.

These sort of defects normally happen within the life of the warranty, that is why reputable manufacturers have warranties. If it's under warranty they will likely fix it for free, call Teknetics.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector is a delta 4000. I have really liked it a lot except for a few quirks. We even did a YouTube video comparing it to our new Garrett at pro and it did remarkably well!

Unfortunately the mode switching is messed up and I was wondering if anyone knew of some way to "reset" the detector before I bother sending it in.

Problem: when I turn it on, it defaults to discriminate mode, but then if I press mode button, it goes to pinpoint mode (even though the display reads "all metal" mode. You can tell by the sound that it is pinpoint mode. When I press mode a second time it stays in pinpoint mode...display still reads "all metal" mode. Then pressing mode button a third time returns to discriminate mode.

It isn't such a big deal because I can always lower the discrimination in discriminate mode to include all metals...so it probably isn't worth sending in.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or if there was a reset button.

Thanks
Brian

I must be honest it sounds like you are actually in the 2X All-Metal modes and not PP mode. Upon turning a Delta on...it will default to Discriminate mode. So all good there.

Once you hit Menu you are moving to the first All-Metal mode - which sounds just like PP mode. Hitting it a 2nd time sends you into the 2nd All-Metal mode - again sounds just like PP mode.

To tell the difference throw a coin down and lift the coil....if it is showing inches it is stuck in PP mode. If it is not - you are simply in all metal mode and the detector is working fine.

Try pressing the PP button while in the AM mode to see if it switches over while pressing the button.

PP mode and AM mode are both modulated audio and sound identical - closer to target = louder the signal and larger the target = louder the signal.

I disagree . If it was a software issue we would have seen it on other Delta's as well. If it is indeed sticking in PP mode ...it sounds like a membrane switch issue. If under warranty Teknetics will fix it right up.

OP
OP
helmethead

helmethead

Greenie
Feb 22, 2017
DFW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks TheHunterGT !
If that's the case, maybe I'm fine but when I first got the delta, "I thought" all metal mode sounded like discrimination mode with iron turned on. Being this was my first detector and a newbie, maybe I just didn't understand what was happening. But I could have swore some thing changed.
I will do some more checking tonight and report back.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TheHunterGT !
If that's the case, maybe I'm fine but when I first got the delta, "I thought" all metal mode sounded like discrimination mode with iron turned on. Being this was my first detector and a newbie, maybe I just didn't understand what was happening. But I could have swore some thing changed.
I will do some more checking tonight and report back.

Glad to help. When I first got one for review I did not realize it had 2X AM either...it threw me for a loop until I read the manual.

Look on the top left as you press Menu....it should cycle to the next 2 AM modes.

One other thing to add....both AM modes are motion all-metal. So if you are moving the coin it should sound off...but hold it very still and it should quiet down.

Holding the PP button is NON-motion.....so if the coin is held still it should sound off and get louder as you move it towards the coil.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to help. When I first got one for review I did not realize it had 2X AM either...it threw me for a loop until I read the manual.

Look on the top left as you press Menu....it should cycle to the next 2 AM modes.

One other thing to add....both AM modes are motion all-metal. So if you are moving the coin it should sound off...but hold it very still and it should quiet down.

Holding the PP button is NON-motion.....so if the coin is held still it should sound off and get louder as you move it towards the coil.

You Da Man THGT:notworthy:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be honest it sounds like you are actually in the 2X All-Metal modes and not PP mode. Upon turning a Delta on...it will default to Discriminate mode. So all good there.

Once you hit Menu you are moving to the first All-Metal mode - which sounds just like PP mode. Hitting it a 2nd time sends you into the 2nd All-Metal mode - again sounds just like PP mode.

To tell the difference throw a coin down and lift the coil....if it is showing inches it is stuck in PP mode. If it is not - you are simply in all metal mode and the detector is working fine.

Try pressing the PP button while in the AM mode to see if it switches over while pressing the button.

PP mode and AM mode are both modulated audio and sound identical - closer to target = louder the signal and larger the target = louder the signal.

I disagree . If it was a software issue we would have seen it on other Delta's as well. If it is indeed sticking in PP mode ...it sounds like a membrane switch issue. If under warranty Teknetics will fix it right up.

What he said.
You have a great little detector...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread