New Patriot

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I tried out my new Patriot yesterday and it seems to work fine. This is a different cat than I have been using (Xterra 705) hopefully it will be as effective in a lighter package. I don't hunt old coins much anymore, just jewelry and coins. This machine seems to have the punch to go down in those deep sand volley ball courts I like to hunt. It appears to be very versatile with a lot of options. I am using the stock coil for now. Anyway need to go log in some more time. good luck and HH.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have used the original version, the F70, for about 3.5 years and explored it at some very deep levels.
I know a ton but I am still not even close to fully understanding what this thing is actually capable of and yet my jaw keeps dropping.
I found tiny silver on my first hunt, big gold on my fourth, enough coins to win awards at my club several years running and the bucket listers still keep coming.
I paid for mine within the first couple months in just the gold and silver I found.

You mention volleyball courts, here is a vid I did recently using mine and a new Sharpshooter Nel sniper coil I just started using.
10" easy on a nickel.
You will be impressed with the depth and everything else, trust me...I know.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vwt73Yq-E&feature=youtu.be

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm ordering one soon. Please keep us updated on your experiences, and learning curve/opinions.

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Thanks digger, HighVDI, so far I have dug mostly coins with some costume ear rings. In the sandy volleyball courts, I'm using the AT mode with -2 and 82 to 88 sensitivity. it is getting deep targets, but no gold this am. Dang EMI here is like hunting in Hong Kong, but this detector is very adaptable and deep.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Lots of ways to mitigate EMI, I choose to hunt quietly sometimes, other times I blast it up high because I can deal with anything including a bunch of noise.
That was learned over time though, gotta work up to the noisier ones because diving right in can make you crazy.

This can get deep on most quieter settings, the gain is not like most other brands and is way higher than you might think it is.
This vid is cool...
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KaJG8ohPbjE

Hitting an 8" nickel with SL, Disc on 4, thresh on +9, sense on....1.
Quiet too.
Many hunt with the sense in the 40's all the time...and get deep.

Combinations of the sense and thresh will control the chatter, thresh high- sense low, thresh low-sense high, both moderate...a thousand ways to do it that work.
High disc can shut down the noise too.
Recently I have been shooting for deeper high conductive coins at a few sites.
Pure cherry picking.
Disc at 65, I can push the sense and thresh to max and it stays eerily quiet.
A bit of noise at SL but not much to write home about, even notching in one area of choice like nickels only makes it a tiny bit more jittery.

Also the three lowest tone choices are the quietest and the least affected by EMI, 1, 1F and 2F.
1 is what I use the most in disc and it has some great unmasking abilities in heavy iron.

If you can think of almost any setting combination plus combine them with most of the tone choices I have probably used it and I seem to find great things with all of them.

TheDirtKing

Mar 5, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex +
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Patriot
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been loving my Patriot. I agree with Digger27, so far there seems to be an endless way of setting this thing up for whatever you want to do or condition you encounter. Its a cherry picking monster. With my soil, ive been set at disc 20, sens 60-40 depending on the ground and thresh anywhere from +2 to -3 and so far have been enjoying 4H and 3H tones. Those are usually my modern park, coin and jewelry, cherry picking settings. At farm permissions where relics and deeper, older coins may exist, I try to open it up as much as my ears and brain can stand. I havent made it to anything over 87 sens and +5 thresh as I think my soil is just too noisy.

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Dirt king my dirt is probably kinder as a rule (53 to 58),sandy volley ball courts run 80-90. While testing 3 gold rings, a madonna, and a small gold chain with crucifix, all tested 20 or less with the exception of a 8.4 gram ring that rang out at 51. While a lot of gold rings are in the the nickel pull tab range it has been my experience there are a bunch in the Foil range. I watched you tube Gerry's Detectors test 48 gold rings, a large number were in the foil range. I am running disc at 4-10, speed de, sensitivity 30 to 50 in tot lots, 60 to 88 every where else. Threshold -1 to -3. Alot of -2. I'm new with this machine, so these are my starting points so far. I like to be comfortable, but don't mind a little noise sometimes. I expect to be running a lot of dp and 3h tones with some 2h sometimes.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noticed this Patriot doesn't have a physical trigger like the T2 classic or F75. Is that something one can get use to? Had machines in the past that didn't have a button or trigger and found them harder to operate. Looking for something to replace my Treasure Baron......but not sure if a new release from Teknetics or Fisher isn't due out soon.... in that case I may wait to buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
The trigger or push button doesn't make any difference to me. I have used Tesoro's, Fishers,Teknetics, Minelab with push buttons and some detectors that didn't have pinpoint at all. To be honest I use the pinpoint mainly on deep targets. On the Patriot I heal-toe shallow coins with the stock DD 11 inch coil. No trigger is no deal breaker for me, holding the button down isn't that big a deal. HH

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't like the trigger units, accidents happen and just one more thing to break.
Tried it on an F75 and a Racer, much more confident in the push button pad which for me is simple, easy and comfortable.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my last detector before the Treasure Baron.....I had a Teknetics 8500 unit in the early 90s.....which had the pin point button built into the handle....overall machine had good balance and good performance in it's day. If the pin point button is easy to access and replace it would be okay in my opinion.......probably depends on what you get use to. In it's day the Teknetics 8500 was a silver monster for me......and haven't found a unit as good as that unit but haven't used the newer Teknetics yet to compare. Never did like the Treasure Baron as well.

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
After 3 hunts with the Patriot, I have found 2 ear rings, 1 fake gold ring, 39 quarters,39 dimes,18 nickles, and 132 pennies. All hunts in modern parks with exception of 1 park might have been in mid 60's. I hunt mainly modern, well used parks, sport fields, volleyball courts ect; for gold and silver rings. There has been a lot of experimenting going, and right now I am using a lot of disc at 1, sens 85,thres -2 tones dp, and notch 1. Having fun with this machine and believe it will work well for my kind of hunting. Will have to get a smaller coil later, but this one 11 inch coil really responds to lower sensitiviy when needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread