Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purchased the Delta 4000 as a second detector for my family, really hoping my wife will join in the fun. For $199.00 from Teknetics.direct, I am sure glad I did. The Delta thinks and acts like it is a $500+ MD.

Gave it a go for 40 min. this morning at a local park. Promised my grandson we would only hunt a short time, since the heat and knats were vicious.

12 modern coins, p, q, n, d. Very very impressed with the VID, and pin pointing. 95% spot on every dig. Very easy figuring out what not to dig.

I prefer the sound of the one tone on my Deleon, but getting used to the different tones of the Delta. Wasn't sure I liked it in the beginning, but it kind of grows on you.

Since this was my first real test with the Delta, I ran the sensi all the way down to 5, and notched out iron, foil, and allum. I'll move up on the sensi as I learn the machine.

Delta 4000 is light and very well balanced with the 8" round concentric. Not nose heavy. I like it cause it feels like I am still swinging my Deleon, which I am absolutely pleased with.

The Delta will never replace the Deleon as my go to detector, as the Deleon may just be the best detector for under $700.00 on the planet. At least for use on the eastern side of America. But I believe the Delta will get plenty of use. I have bought and sold several MD in the past 60 days, searching for just the right one at a reasonable cost to be my family's 2nd Md. I think i have finally found it.

A man.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how the 600 dollar f75 would fare against the deleon. Or even the $400 patriot. Are you holding onto this machine now? I saw you had it listed for sale.....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I no longer have the Delta 4000 for sale. Changed my mind. For the price I paid, just too good a detector to let go.

I think the DeLeon would hold its own against the MD you mentioned.
I've owned a Gamma 6000 and a Makro Racer, which are comparably priced. I've sold both of them.
I wouldn't sell my DeLeon for the full price I paid. The preset GB is perfect for the soil in south west Georgia. If I lived in N Georgia, might would need manual GB.

The D is not as deep as a couple of other Tesoros, but it detects about as deep as this senior man desires to dig.

My brother loves his Gamma 6000, another loves his ACE 200, and my best friend loves his BH Pioneer.
We all have different tastes, and it's our money to spend as we all please.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I no longer have the Delta 4000 for sale. Changed my mind. For the price I paid, just too good a detector to let go.

I think the DeLeon would hold its own against the MD you mentioned.
I've owned a Gamma 6000 and a Makro Racer, which are comparably priced. I've sold both of them.
I wouldn't sell my DeLeon for the full price I paid. The preset GB is perfect for the soil in south west Georgia. If I lived in N Georgia, might would need manual GB.

The D is not as deep as a couple of other Tesoros, but it detects about as deep as this senior man desires to dig.

My brother loves his Gamma 6000, another loves his ACE 200, and my best friend loves his BH Pioneer.
We all have different tastes, and it's our money to spend as we all please.

Absolutely. I'm glad you're getting used to the tones. Like you said that's hard to beat for the money invested. I also hear that about digging deep......although, there is something wayyyy cool, and addictive about a super deep old coin or flat button! Good luck with the new machine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4000 was my first real detector and I have not let it go because it is a great learning detector for newbies and kids AND can hold its own against some of the big guns as long as the soil is mild enough for its fixed GB circuit. IMO best bang for the buck for a non-adj GB detector.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Hunted with it again this morning for two hours and did quite well.
A cheap costume ring, 11 pennies, 2 nickels, and 3 dimes.
I think it's a good nickel machine.
Not a deep MD, but I figured this in when I purchased it.
I find the depth to be very accurate.
The pin pointing is as easy and accurate as any I have used.
Love the high tone of a dime and quarter.
The VID is spot on.
Discrimination at 55, sensitivity at 8. Any signals from 61 to 73 I didn't dig.

I recently had hand surgery and the healing process is limiting my digging. Having to back off of any hard pan soil, rocks, and roots. This to shall pass.

All in all, I am impressed with the Delta, and glad I changed my mind about selling. Like the DeLeon, it's a keeper.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No longer a keeper? I'd actually like to take it off your hands and give it a try. Hard to beat for the dough..

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No longer a keeper? I'd actually like to take it off your hands and give it a try. Hard to beat for the dough..

Thank you. I just sent you a PM.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a unbelievable price. Those seem to be good detectors. Good buy!

The Delta is a wonderful detector. Just because I am selling mine cheap, says nothing about the performance of the Delta. I am just hell bent on another higher cost detector for salt beach use. Gotta raise some funds.

I've owned a Garrett 250, Gamma 6000, Fisher F22. I liked the Delta 4000 better than all three, even the Gamma. It loves nickels at 58. Loves dimes too. Very accurate ID, and Pin point is spot on and easy. Real easy.

As a side note, I sold the Gamma to my brother, and he absolutely loves it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be forewarned, you are going to have to spend about ~10x what you are selling the 4000 for to acquire a decent wet salt beach detector. AT Max, AT Pro, MX Sport class detectors are all great mid priced waterproof, general purpose detectors, but will disappoint in terms of ultimate performance capability in wet salt beach/surf. OTOH, some of the best (and expensive) salt beach detectors can disappoint in all around terrestrial applications. Point is you want to get the right tool for the job, and that may practically require more than one specialized detector (and associated accessories - water scoop, wet suit, floating sifter, etc...). Good luck and hope you are seeking and heeding expert advice on that salt beach machine. Way different animal than the detectors you listed out above. Don't make any rash decisions on hardware. I only say that because I have observed you make 2 complete 180s on whether to keep that 4000 in the span of just a little over one week's time. HH.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear what you are saying, and that's good advice. However, I have no plans to get in the water. I just want a detector that will serve me well in the dry sand and wet sand, on salt water beaches.
After some telephone conversations, reading reviews, and watching a ton of videos, my target detector is the Makro Red Racer.
I absolutely love my DeLeon, but it's lone weakness is a salt beach. Tried it there last month and was disappointed. But I wouldn't part with the DeLeon for what I paid 6 months ago. Keeper.

As for doing 180's? Hell, that's just me. Drives my wife nuts. From what I see, I certainly am not alone with this behavior. Maybe too much whacky weed in the sixties while in the military.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For best performance even in just wet sand (no submersìon), single frequency detectors such as the Racer will still have issues vs. the specialized salt beach monsters such as the Minelab Excalibur 2, CTX 3030, Fisher CZ-21, and Tesoro Sand Shark, not to mention the PI machines. All in all not a bad value pick for a decent all purpose machine, though I would personally opt for the Racer 2 which appeared to address some of the glaring shortcomings of the Red Racer (missing Iron VDI and tone, no notch, no adj. tone break, no ability to save settings). That's just based on what I've read, actual Makro users can chime in and set me straight. Good luck with it.

And regarding changing your mind, yeah it seems to come with the territory as we tend to salivate at the detector that can do what our existing detector cannot. Resist the temptation to detector hop, though. To become proficient with ANY machine, you really need to stick with it for hundreds of hours which for most folks means several weeks if not several months of primarily swinging your go to machine. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, I hear what you are saying.
Talk about machines, your list is amazing. Unfortunately, my retirement funds won't ever allow me to venture into your bracket. Way over my head.

Yeah, about $200 more, but I am thinking seriously about the R2.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vern, a used Fisher CZ-5 or CZ-6a can be found for $250-300. These are excellent detectors for beaach use and on land as well. They are simultaneous multifrequency machines and work fine in wet salt sand or seawater. They are the same detector as their waterproof stablemate the CZ-21. Likewise older Minelab multifrequency machines work as well as their current Soverign beach detector.

No single frequency will match these on wet salt sand and they have excellent performance inland as well.

mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been away from the hobby for a few years now and sold all my detectors. After doing lots of research, I decided to get the 4000. I just ordered one yesterday direct from Teknetics.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Let us know how it goes once you get back in the saddle.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Tom, on your purchase of a Delta 4000. I sold mine on a whim. But I will tell you this, "it is one heck of a MD".
Great coin and jewelry machine. It's the only MD I regret selling.
Seller's remorse lingers. But, life goes on.
Great choice. (Imho)

Last edited:

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold mine on a whim. But I will tell you this, "it is one heck of a MD".
Great coin and jewelry machine. It's the only MD I regret selling.
Seller's remorse lingers. But, life goes on.

Hey Vern2, I just used the Delta, I got from you, for the first time a couple of days ago at a tot lot, and picked up $1.81 in about an hour. At 74 I don't do much 'teckin" anymore. My condolences on your loss. Ron

Last edited:

mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Vern2...

I'm still waiting for my delivery to get here... Hopefully it will be here Monday so I can get out and give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread