Patriot maiden voyage...kinda.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was actually 2nd outing. First was a few days ago at my old go to homestead I've been working for 3 years. No luck that day but did get a feel for the machine. So today I went with wife and kid on an outing to her family farm. Really lovin the machine..no earth shattering finds but only hunted couple hours total. Next time I go back I'll have all day. Gonna try to post pic of what I brought home to clean up. Not sure what trinket is in bottom left corner but will magnify the name later and see what it says. Was in disc 35 sens 75ish thresh -2. tone 3 or 3h most of day.

Attachments

• 20180304_180918.jpg
    20180304_180918.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Aaron! Give us more info on the finds, what type and date of coins, etc... and let us know what that trinket actually is. The more time you get on the Patriot, the more impressed you will be. Don't be afraid to turn down sens if needed to stabilize it due to EMI, you won't really lose much depth. It's a great machine! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins were all clad. Oldest was the dime at 1977. As for the bottom left trinket,..the writing is "Micamold". A quick google search shows that it is a capacitor for vintage radios. I was under a lot of low overhead power lines there. A lot of the out buildings on this farm have electric run to them. I actually didn't run into any EMI unless I ran sens up to about 80 or more. She ran really quiet and stable. Did a lot of reading last night when I got back in,..mainly some of NASA Toms write ups. I'll try some new settings next time out,....hopefully next week weather permitting. Probably because I've never had this many options before but to be honest with you I'm as excited about exploring all these tone options as anything lol. This thing is really easy on my ears no matter what tone mode it's in.,........and it's LIGHT. A pleasure to run.

,.......and one more thing I'm very interested in is the SL speed. Digger says it's kinda like a "boost". I am going to spend some time trying it out next time I go. Have to do a bit more research but sounds like an awesome feature.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not kinda like...it IS boost.
On DE this thing is really deep but SL can possibly get you deeper or at least firm up some deeper more iffy signals sometimes.
Also could get noisier but turn down the gain or thresh till it gets quieter.
I have seen SL on lower settings actually do a bit better for me sometimes than DE on higher settings but you have to try both over some deeper targets in your soil to see if it is the same for you.

Move the coil slower in SL to give it a chance to acquire targets, also.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaron, I have tried SL a few times, but as Digger27 said, it did get noisier, at least at the sites I was using it at. I had to turn down sens more to run quiet, so I figured I was just giving up that extra SL depth anyway. Nice to know it may still be deeper than De even when dropping the sens. I will give it some more experimentation. I feel the same way about the many options available! I tend to usually run zero disc & 3 tones mostly but sometimes I will use monotone, disc 6 as per Nasa Tom's suggestion. I have a lot to learn still, but Dave (Digger27) is a huge help. HH!

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read somewhere within the last hour that to be in SL that your threshold must be (-)negative. This may or may not be true and you and digger may or may not already have read it...it could be in the manual, I haven't looked yet.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I just read somewhere within the last hour that to be in SL that your threshold must be (-)negative. This may or may not be true and you and digger may or may not already have read it...it could be in the manual, I haven't looked yet.

Yea, I saw you reply on MarkCZ's thread where he came to that conclusion after doing air tests and making up this chart.

photostudio_1520350025307.jpg

I can see from his observations why he came to this conclusion but I am not so sure this is true in the real world.
I recall in real life hunting in the wild I have come across a few deeper targets WITH the thresh into the positive in both all metal and disc and I have switched in and out of SL to see what happens.
I know a couple of times I got more solid and stable signals with SL that I didn't with DE...in all metal for sure and even in disc.
I also remember at least once or twice with both all metal and disc where on DE I got nothing over a deep target but after switching to SL the signal came back.

I don't keep track of every setting I have tried but for the last couple of years I have been pushing that thresh into the positive more often then not so there is a very good chance I have proved that this SL only works in lower thresh thing isn't exactly true in the wild exactly as that chart seems to indicate.
Whatever, it seems to me that flipping to SL even on higher thresh can't actually hurt you much and depending on sites and conditions still might be helpful so I still use SL and high thresh...a lot.
Pretty much the only way I set up program 2 on my F70 is the same as it had been for a long time...AT, sense 99, thresh +9, SL speed.
It always works for me to get me decently solid signals, unmask targets and clue me in when I get false high signals in disc over iron, (using these settings most high falsing signals revert back to iron), so I see no reason to change.
Just one more thing I will experiment with sometime and try to prove or disprove.

I am a big fan of Mark and all the great charts he spends a lot of time and effort putting together and I do like seeing results of air tests because they can give you some decent info and baseline behavior of detectors but do I take all air test results as gospel...nope, never have, never will.
I have seen many different results after using that same tool in the real world.
Sometimes the same, sometimes better, sometimes worse but many times different than indoor air tests so I take all air test results with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-4 digger. I'll be experimenting with SL on my next hunt.

Legolas

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2017
Steiermark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, have a question about the depth on small silver, gold ...... coins in good soil, disturbances when hitting trees or roots, damp grass?
wonder if I should possibly buy Patriot or Tecnetics Eurotec Pro. Forgive my English and look especially in quaint forests and very old ways here in Austria.
Thanks, Legolas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread