Delta 4000 new model vs. old

GreatCanadian

Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Tried to find a definitive answer to this, but no luck so far. I have a chance to pick up a new Delta 4000 from a friend for a good price. It's still in the box, never used. From reading, I am aware that this is a "decent" detector, and certainly good enough for my intentions. I do have a question about the different versions of the 4000. I have read that the model has been updated a couple of times since its original release. Apparently the headphone jacks have been changed a couple of times, which is of no concern to me. However, it also appears that the coil and/or cord may have changed as well. Is this true? Were there any other changes? If so, would these changes negate my "good deal" on this "new" older Delta 4000. Are the upgrades (other than headphone jacks) so significant that the 1st generation is nowhere as good as following versions? Thank you for any help you may offer.

GC

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The headphone jacks and coil connectors vary. These detectors are all the same electronically, but the connectors differ based on whether they are produced for the distributor/dealer sales chain or the “big box” sales chain. The difference is a few dollars in production cost, allowing lower wholesale prices in volume to the “big box” stores.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have been reading about these on the forums for years.
Pretty decent and many owners seem to enjoy them but I have noticed one other thing has changed over the years.
Now I have never owned or even touch one so don't take this as fact but just something I noticed, maybe someone that has some actual experience will chime in on this subject.

The original and older models were mentioned to be pretty slow in the recovery area.
It's cousin the F2 and maybe a couple other entry level detectors from FTP weren't the same and much faster but a lot of owners of the Delta seemed to mention the slow recovery speed was noticeable.
As the years went on this seemed to be fixed and owners talking about them never mentioned them that speed thing again except to say they were much faster whenever the subject came up.
I do believe FTP is known to do slight tweaks and upgrades to models across their platforms from time to time without mentioning it to anyone.
I have no idea how to tell which models were the slower ones but if there is a way to tell if this one is 2 years old or newer I assume those will be the upgraded faster ones.

Not a big deal breaker on that speed thing, really, it just means you have to swing a little slower which isn't a bad idea, anyway.

OP
OP
G

GreatCanadian

Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. The only thing I can tell you about it right now is that it has the 1/8 in jack, and came from a big box store. Can anything be determined from that?

GC

EDIT: I lied. It's 1/4 inch jack.
EDIT:That may be a lie too!! Just discovered that some people have the 4000 with 1/8 jack even though it said 1/4 on the box.

If I'm not confusing you guys I'm doing a damn fine job of confusing myself!!

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant remember without looking, but one of my Fisher or Teknetics came with both jack sizes!

OP
OP
G

GreatCanadian

Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the box. He apparently purchased it at Canadian Tire within the last few months, so it's not as old as I thought. But I guess it could still be old stock.

Attach778_20180425_184528.jpg

GC

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the first several numbers of the serial number indicates date of manufacture. It is a very, very light detector and has some features that others in its class do not have. I wish I had never gotten rid of mine. Ron

OP
OP
G

GreatCanadian

Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the first several numbers of the serial number indicates date of manufacture. It is a very, very light detector and has some features that others in its class do not have. I wish I had never gotten rid of mine. Ron

Did you have one of the early ones or a later model?

GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread