Which one to buy... Teknetics or Bounty Hunter.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at buying one more detector and would like your opinion on your experience with the following detectors:

Teknetics Omega 8500
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Teknetics Liberator
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro (I had one but gave it to a friend to use and she's wanting to keep (buy) it.

I actually prefer a Concentric Coil compared to a DD Coil only because a CC will separate Bottle Caps from Quarters much better (depending on the machine it's being used with) but, it's not a deal breaker. EDIT: I failed to mention this; Concentric only on my lower-end machines and DD on my mid to high-end machines but, it's still not a deal breaker on my other machines as long as they will accept a DD coil.

Looking for comments from users that did / do own them.

Thanks.
-DH-

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not go with the Patriot? I'd take it over those you listed and heck I am a huge fan of the DD over the concentric.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not go with the Patriot? I'd take it over those you listed and heck I am a huge fan of the DD over the concentric.

The Patriot does not have good reviews - depending on where you look - and both coils have their uses so it's not a coil issue with me. I like the idea of a 13kHz coil though but, I'm looking for the best product for my money, that and my cheap a$$ is trying to stay under 400 bucks for this purchase. Saving my pennies for the Nox 800.

-DH-

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look up reviews on the F70, same machine.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are just looking for another detector possibly a First Texas product for under $400, or are you looking for an FTP detector that is equal to or better than your Nokta Makro Simplex which in my opinion is the best detector you own?

F70 and Patriot are excellent detectors. Any bad reviews.......I haven't seen them unless they are build quality issues. Definitely equal to the Simplex or maybe an upgrade. A new Patriot is an excellent bargain for the price. There have been some F75s being sold for under $400 used if you search a bit.

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro and the Teknetics Liberator are basically the same detector and have the same build quality issue with the pinpoint button. I would only buy a new one of those so you are covered by the 5 year warranty. The F11, F22 and F44 are also basically the same detector with a redesigned exterior. Still entry level detectors

Teknetics Gamma and Bounty Hunter Platinum are basically the same detector. Again, I would only buy a new one. Again still entry level detectors.

Teknetics Omega 8500 is definitely not an entry level detector. Fairly complex but a really nice detector and in my opinion an upgrade.

Have you considered a used F19, Teknetics G2+ or a used T2? They can be found used for under your price and are equal to or an upgrade to the Simplex in my opinion. Cannot use concentric coils with those however.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger,

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate your willingness to help.

I have done a lot of research on all the models listed and, yes the Patriot is very similar to the F70. I used to own the F70 quite some time ago but, I gave it to my dad for his birthday years back. We went out one day and all the way back home he went on and on about how he couldn't believe how much detectors had changed and how much "stuff" we pulled out of the ground.

First came the F70, then the T2 and next was the F75. I believe it was around 2 years ago the Patriot came out and it had a lot of good reviews but, for some reason it isn't getting the rave reviews it used to - I suppose this is because it's been out for some time and there are other detectors out that are "about" as good for less money. The T2LTD came along at some point but I don't remember when.

Everyone has their favorite machine(s) and I always welcome comments on how they like a particular machine. It gives me enough information to go on to compare with what I am looking into buying. I am actually looking into getting the Patriot - I found a dealer that is willing to work with me on the price a bit. I'm still considering all options at this point and your info won't go unchecked.

Thanks again!
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

The more I research the more I find another detector that I like better that the last. All I'm trying to do is fill in the gaps of the ones (not my high end detectors) I have now and the Patriot actually seems to be the perfect one for that.

I was thinking that the "Button" issue(s) would be the same on the Liberator and the only way I would buy it is to buy it new. As far as Bounty Hunter goes (i.e. Teknetics, Fisher, First Texas), I have two now and have been rethinking my choices on them. However, the Omega 8500 is looking like a good choice for me as well.

I am buying a Nox 800 in July to go with my four other high-end detectors. I have budgeted a mid-range and a high-end detector for my last two purchases this year and I'm finding that there are way too many choices to choose from. With those choices comes a lot of hype and I find that this deters me more than entices me with my purchase.

I bought a G2+ a while back and that's why I'm taking, what I consider, a big jump with the Nox 800 in July.

I still have a couple of weeks before I'm going to buy another detector and I should be able to do enough research to pick the "right" one. I take friends out all the time trying to get them interested in metal detecting so I like to have a little diversity when letting someone use my detectors.

Thanks a lot for the info. I think my brain is about to go into overload though! :)

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to learn the Equinox, a great way to start would be to buy a Vanquish 440 or 340. It would be easy for you to learn, give you a head start on the Nox and it would be really easy to teach a newbie, family member or use as a loaner. The Vanquish is way better than Minelab's advertisements. I have a Nox 600 and 800 and bought the Vanquish 440 for one of my grown kids. After using it, he's going to have to buy his own!!!!!

Jeff

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to learn the Equinox, a great way to start would be to buy a Vanquish 440 or 340. It would be easy for you to learn, give you a head start on the Nox and it would be really easy to teach a newbie, family member or use as a loaner. The Vanquish is way better than Minelab's advertisements. I have a Nox 600 and 800 and bought the Vanquish 440 for one of my grown kids. After using it, he's going to have to buy his own!!!!!

Jeff

OK, now that is just waaaay too scary...

...I'm sitting here looking for other options and went back to Minelab's website to check out a few other detectors. Just as I clicked on the Vanquish 440 link I get an email notification regarding your post. I am typing this from the floor as I haven't got back in my chair yet! :)

So, do you have your own Psychic Hotline?? Can I subscribe??

I think it's coming down to the Vanquish (not sure which one yet), the Patriot, and, yes, the Liberator.

Back to my research.

Thanks again for all your info!
-DH-

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've learned a lot about detectors in this thread. Sometimes you don't even know what you don't know to ask about.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was looking to invest in detectors, I let my wife choose...
“That one’s pretty!”
I tend not to over-think things.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you like your F75 and would you take the Patriot over it?

-DH-

I have had both an F70 and a Patriot because I bought them used for a cheap prices. I used to have 3 machines in the back of my van (F70/Patriot, F75, & the F75LTD) and I decided which one to use for the coil it had installed on it. One had the 5" DD, another had the nel sharpshooter and the 3rd had the stock DD coil. They all worked fine and I understand what they say when they beep on targets. After doing this for a while I thought I sure am lazy if I needed 3 machines rather than to simply swap out a coil every now and then. Heck all my coils are already mounted on spare shafts. I still swing my F75LTD and am not going to buy another model anytime soon. I have since sold the F75 and both the F70 and Patriot before they lost much value.

I am not a fan of the minelab flute tone and target ID scale of 1-44, thus I have not bought an Equinox and am quite satisfied with my current machines capabilities.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both an F70 and a Patriot because I bought them used for a cheap prices. I used to have 3 machines in the back of my van (F70/Patriot, F75, & the F75LTD) and I decided which one to use for the coil it had installed on it. One had the 5" DD, another had the nel sharpshooter and the 3rd had the stock DD coil. They all worked fine and I understand what they say when they beep on targets. After doing this for a while I thought I sure am lazy if I needed 3 machines rather than to simply swap out a coil every now and then. Heck all my coils are already mounted on spare shafts. I still swing my F75LTD and am not going to buy another model anytime soon. I have since sold the F75 and both the F70 and Patriot before they lost much value.

I am not a fan of the minelab flute tone and target ID scale of 1-44, thus I have not bought an Equinox and am quite satisfied with my current machines capabilities.

Thanks for the info Loco-Digger.

I have four (4) high-end machines that I take with me when I do Coin Hunts - I have four because I am lazy and want to get to my next event without having to reprogram one detector for 4 or 5 separate events. I've done really well with this setup and don't plan on changing in the near future - that is why I want another high-end machine for around the house and vacation trips,

Since receiving detailed information from you, Jeff, and others, I am rethinking my next detector purchase. I have the four (4) listed in my profile in which I use a lot as well as loan out to my friends when I take them out detecting. Therefore, I'm thinking I really do not need another detector in that "range" and should buy an upper end Teknetics or Fisher (I like the features of the F75+).

Thanks again for your input Loco-Digger as well as all the other help I've received from other members. It is very much appreciated.

Now I'm off to ponder my next purchase.

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously??
It's an F70...I can point you to many dozens of great reviews on that one.

Yup.. but I guess you missed this part of the post "- depending on where you look -" and then there is this one, "I believe it was around 2 years ago the Patriot came out and it had a lot of good reviews but, for some reason it isn't getting the rave reviews it used to - I suppose this is because it's been out for some time and there are other detectors out that are "about" as good for less money." And then of course there is this one, "All I'm trying to do is fill in the gaps of the ones (not my high end detectors) I have now and the Patriot actually seems to be the perfect one for that."

Just sayin'.
-DH-

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yup.. but I guess you missed this part of the post "- depending on where you look -" and then there is this one, "I believe it was around 2 years ago the Patriot came out and it had a lot of good reviews but, for some reason it isn't getting the rave reviews it used to - I suppose this is because it's been out for some time and there are other detectors out that are "about" as good for less money." And then of course there is this one, "All I'm trying to do is fill in the gaps of the ones (not my high end detectors) I have now and the Patriot actually seems to be the perfect one for that."

Just sayin'.
-DH-

Apologies, the upshot is if you decided on or already have the Patriot then I believe you checked everything off, nicely.
I have thousands of hours on the F70, and I have explored an extreme amount of settings...the thing never let me down at any site with any conditions.
High disc, low disc, no disc, high thresh, low thresh, all metal, gain from high to low, SL boost on and off, many hours using all the tone choices and in sites that range from beautiful black dirt out west to the most iron infested sites you can hardly imagine and now in the red clay mineralized SE. devil dirt.
I have posted my settings and results, some shocking results, regarding them all and my jaw never stopped dropping through any of it.
Oh yea, that elliptical concentric coil...BIG fan.
It was the coil designed to compliment this unit and how it works, and more importantly sounds, is pretty remarkable in more than one kind of site.
There are two tones that flibber my gibbits and mean more to me than any others in this hobby, the sound of bigger gold on a Tesoro and the sound of silver on my F70 with that concentric coil using multi tones like 4H...the only way to describe these two uniquely sounding tones is, sweet.

Enjoy it if this is the one...you won't have much choice but you'll see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies, the upshot is if you decided on or already have the Patriot then I believe you checked everything off, nicely.
I have thousands of hours on the F70, and I have explored an extreme amount of settings...the thing never let me down at any site with any conditions.
High disc, low disc, no disc, high thresh, low thresh, all metal, gain from high to low, SL boost on and off, many hours using all the tone choices and in sites that range from beautiful black dirt out west to the most iron infested sites you can hardly imagine and now in the red clay mineralized SE. devil dirt.
I have posted my settings and results, some shocking results, regarding them all and my jaw never stopped dropping through any of it.
Oh yea, that elliptical concentric coil...BIG fan.
It was the coil designed to compliment this unit and how it works, and more importantly sounds, is pretty remarkable in more than one kind of site.
There are two tones that flibber my gibbits and mean more to me than any others in this hobby, the sound of bigger gold on a Tesoro and the sound of silver on my F70 with that concentric coil using multi tones like 4H...the only way to describe these two uniquely sounding tones is, sweet.

Enjoy it if this is the one...you won't have much choice but you'll see.

No worries. All is good.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond back, others would not have. That gives you credit in my book!

I have decided to go with the Patriot and the Minelab Vanquish 540. It has been a tough choice but, thanks to all the input, I simply threw up my hands and gave in to the calling. [hehe]

I'm ordering the Patriot on the 15th of March and going to Springfield, MO on the 20/21 or 27/28 of March - depending on my schedule - to pick up the Vanquish 540. I can get both of them for just under what I can buy the Nox 800 for... so I'm putting the Nox on the back burner until Christmas.

BTW, thanks for the additional info, it lets me know that I've made the correct choice with the Patriot, I really could not pass it up. I may have to look up your posts to get an idea what I'm in for.

Cheers.
-DH-

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Anytime, I have many posts in a few forums that get a lot more technical on this thing on many subjects as I explored more settings over the years.
Check out REVIER on FM, F70, settings, advanced search back to 2013.
No pretty pictures transferred when they switched platforms but the rest is still there and searches are much faster, now.
Also I have a lot of stuff on friendly.

Basically, I have been in discussions with many owners over the years and we all use completely different settings, wildly different, sometimes, and yet we are all successful.
Very intuitive once you understand the relationship between the settings and what they will do for you when you find some you enjoy.

Also two programs you can set up totally different, like hunting with two different detectors in one.
I use disc on program 1 and all metal in program 2, one I hunt with and one as a check and it sure cuts down the time examining targets especially in garbage or iron infested sites.

Amazing machine...again, you will see.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions