Best full size aftermarket coil for T2 classic?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I use among others an F70, which is very powerful and can be very sparky, and have 3 Fisher coils plus Nel Sharpshooter and a larger Cors Cannon coil.
Also just got an F5 plus also purchased a Sharpshooter for that.
I kidnapped love using the Sharpshooter, if you couldn't tell.
On the F70 the foreign coils are much better shielded and noticeably quieter, less jumpy and more stable...everywhere.
Even in areas with high EMI where I would have to turn down the thing lower using the FTP coils.

On the F5 in an area surrounded by sites and Wi-Fi hitting it from two sides I am able to max the gain to 99 and also the thresh to +7-+9...and it stays eerily quiet.
Haven't mounted the two Fisher concentrics I got with the F5 yet and I suspect I won't be able to reach these levels with either one...but that remains to be seen.

Always wondered why FTP couldn't make coils like this if those companies could but, whatever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks d27
I like the Mars 10”x6” but it’s not full size and I won’t be satisfied with coverage in the wide open spaces. Might try Cors Scout at 12”x 8” similar to stock and not bad price. Like the Mars 13” x 10” but too big for the cellar hole type spots. I am getting a cors shrew with the new T2 but I hate switching out coils even with dedicated stem. I used an Omega with 10” coil for few years and didn’t feel it lacked in coverage.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I was going to get the Nel Snake when I traded my high tone Vaq to a dealer that wanted one.
He got my Vaq and a few extra coils and I got a new Mojave and one more pick so I went for the Snake for my F70 which is basically your Shrew coil.
Nel and Cors owners are relatives and they make the same products under different names.
I had good luck with the tiny Fisher DD but I just wanted something just a bit bigger to "feel" like I was hunting with a bigger coil.
The Snake/Shrew isn't all that much bigger but I felt/hoped it would seem like I was covering more ground than the tiny, hockey puck Fisher coil.
Turns out he didn't have the Snake in stock, said he would order it for me if I really wanted it but he did have a Sharpshooter handy as it was a more popular size.
I said fine, send me that one instead.
I didn't feel I really needed it all that much but I heard the coils from these two companies were a lot quieter and even though I always thought factory coils on factory products they make would always be the best match I got that one just to experiment.
Serendipity...when I got it and mounted it on my F70, (no DST and I do like to turn it up), I was pretty shocked at the performance.
Finds the tiniest targets, separation is superb, the depth dropped my jaw and the stability and how quiet it was shocked me most of all.
Plus, I do feel like I am hunting with a decent sized upgrade over the small, round Fisher sniper.
When I decided to invest in a larger coil than the 11" DD I already had for the F70 you better believe I went for one of the Nel or Cors versions...I read Mars and other manufacturers had some decent coils but results were sometimes hit or miss.
Gotta go with what I know works...so I did.
Just the same as the Nel and hit all the same performance marks but bigger, quiet, stable and not all that heavy so I was happy.

Your Shrew should be fine as a prime sniper, might not be any real advantage to get a slightly larger Sharpshooter but if I were you try the stock DD and if it seems a bit noisy or not as deep as you feel it should be then think about one of the full size foreign jobbies...I would guess you will also notice the difference as I did using mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kind of like the stock coil, but also ordered a Mars 6” x 10”. Will run it for a period of time and then do same with stock 11”. Then decide which I like better.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sealed the deal on a little used T2 classic with stock coil and additional shrew coil.
Considering The T2 classic doesn’t have DST and some say it has EMI issues is there a coil that is better than the stock coil in terms of EMI or is the NEL sharpshooter better as an all around coil for the T2 classic?

My favorite 2 coils for my T2 Classic and T2SE are the CORS Fortune (NEL Sharpshooter) and the CORS Strike (NEL Tornado) coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread