Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a Cutlass II and should have a Cleansweep coil for it tomorrow. Looking forward to hitting the beach with it this weekend. Not sure I like it yet, but we'll see. If it works out ok, I guess I will be looking for a Sandshark to hit the surf with. I think I should have held out for an Eldorado or possibly a Vaquero.

I sold my Eagle Spectrum, it was just too darn heavy for the beach.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I hit the beach for 2 hours this morning with the Cutlass and and cleansweep coil. It isn't stable enough to use on the wet sand, and a lot of false signals in the dry. I did cover a lot more beach than I normally do, but I got skunked if you don't count breaking a record for bottle caps. I learned that the false signals are more of a bark than a beep. Very easy to pinpoint with the cleansweep.

Over all, I liked my Eagle better (I know...apples and oranges), but swinging this one is so much easier. I'm pretty sure this can have a ground balance added, I'm going to give that a try and see if it can be made more stable.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cutlass II just doesn't handle the beach well. I bought an Eldorado that came yesterday and I tried this morning. No great finds but much better on the sand, both wet and dry.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense. Interchanging coils on a fixed GB unit produces different results. You need ground balance to properly set the unit with each coil to get the best results.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it out again this morning with a 9"x8" coil. Much more stable in dry and wet, I dug a little of everything. I found a lot of the false signals were beacuse of my scoop even though it was a good 2' away from the coil. I'm still looking for all that silver and gold stuff that everybody but me finds. My haul this morning was $.28, a couple of toys, 15 pulltabs, lead sinker, but only a few bottle caps. It does discriminate them out well, it hit on only the caps that have been buried a while and starting to rust.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the Cutlass II to the beach this morning. I had the Cleansweep coil on it. It popped on bottle caps in the trashier area of the beach, couldn't turn the disc up high enough without tuning out the good stuff. I did find my first ring though. It's a men's wedding ring. Not sure of the weight and the hallmark is too small for my old eyes to read. I will post pics in the finds section if nobody local claims it. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread