Need help deciding which Tesoro/headphone to purchase...

TN Girl

Aug 1, 2009
I'm new to metal detecting and have been researching the various options out there. I definitely want a machine that I won't outgrow too quickly. I think a used Silver uMax may be the way to go. Is there a better option for a newbie?

Also, is there a specific brand of headphones that work better with a Silver? I'm considering SunRay Golds, Killer B Optima II, Gray Ghost Originals, Rats.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned the Silver umax and found it to be effective, however I now have a Cibola, and can tell you that it is MUCH more powerful than the Silver. I use the original Gray Ghost headphones also.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Tesoro rocks. I own a compadre, silver u-max and vaquero. If you want a machine to use with headphones get the vaquero. It's deeper than the silver and you will hear those whispers when an item is deep. At a certain depth the silver cuts off. I found the headphones didn't help much. If you get the vaquero, go ahead and get the 5.75" concentric or save up for it in the future. I use it more than the stock coil. Don't let the ground balance feature scare you away from the vaquero. It's easier to GB that it is to decide what or what not to dig. :wink:

Good Luck
Randy

PS...Killer B's also rock.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I use the Killer B head phones and they are great. I also picked up a pair of Garrett head phones for $40 and I have to say, they are very comfortable and work well, too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Tesoro rocks. I own a compadre, silver u-max and vaquero. If you want a machine to use with headphones get the vaquero. It's deeper than the silver and you will hear those whispers when an item is deep. At a certain depth the silver cuts off. I found the headphones didn't help much. If you get the vaquero, go ahead and get the 5.75" concentric or save up for it in the future. I use it more than the stock coil. Don't let the ground balance feature scare you away from the vaquero. It's easier to GB that it is to decide what or what not to dig. :wink:

Good Luck
Randy

PS...Killer B's also rock.

By all means try to get the Vaquero as it is the better one, but it is pricey and you won't need to trade up anytime soon. It is a VERY GOOD DETECTOR. I have used the Killr Bee's, Rat Phones, and Grey Ghosts, and the Black Widows. I really like the Black Widows for the Tesoro and the DFX. They are very comfortable and you can hear the full range of sounds because of the high quality.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
T

TN Girl

Aug 1, 2009
The Vaquero is appealing...that's for sure! It will probably be the detector I move up to. I figure I can always keep the Silver as a back-up or to loan to friends who want to tag along.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main reason for good headphones is for being able to bring your threshold down to a whisper, and hearing even the most faintest of change, usually signifying something at great depth. Since the Silver uMax doesn't use a threshold, expensive headphones are not going to compliment the array that much.

I just had an ad for trying to buy an older Tesoro. One reply was for a Bandido 2 which has threshold and ground balance. I bought a Bandido uMax from one other person that contacted me, so maybe this person would sell his detector to you. If you want to PM me, I'll let you contact him. With that type detector, the GG, Black Widows, etc. would be good.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
My "Grey Ghost" phones are super! Don't think I could do better unless they were cordless Grey Ghost, which they don't make!

OP
OP
T

TN Girl

Aug 1, 2009
I've finally decided to go with...

a set of Killer B II Optimas. They may be a bit much for the Silver uMax, but hopefully I can use them with future dectectors when if I decide to "upgrade" later on. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread