Used Tesoro Sidewinder Umax vs New Silver Umax

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it does not have adjustable ground balance. But it is set at the factory for the majority of areas and depending where you live just might be fine. The new Umax also has a factory set ground balance.

We operated for years and had a lot of fun with the factory set detectors. One company, Fisher, used to say theirs were automatic ground balance when in fact they were also factory preset and never changed.

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
Which Fisher detectors did they include in that deception?

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Gary66 said:
Which Fisher detectors did they include in that deception?

Garrett used to use the phrase. They actually did effect the ground balance.

But now days " automatic ground balance " means factory per-set.

I think that most manufacturers have crossed that line before.

I do not think Tesoro did. May be one or two others, but most

manufacturers are guilty at one time or the other.

In other countries, it is a little different.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
All I can attest to is the Silver U-max! For my area it is A-ok! It's a finder therefore a keeper. In my humble opinion that is!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the Fisher's that was advertised as "Automatic" was the 1280-X, a nice water detector. There is nothing wrong with having a factory preset GB, but it shouldn't be implied it is better than it really is. It is like saying a Honda never breaks down.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aladdin said:
All I can attest to is the Silver U-max! For my area it is A-ok! It's a finder therefore a keeper. In my humble opinion that is!

The Silver umax definitely is a great machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread