Any Competition Hunters out there

Tico14

Jun 16, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
I'm not a competition Hunter but my club is having it's annual club hunt later this month and will be a good chance for me to go home with a pocket full of silver coins. I don't really have a competition machine in my arsenal. The only machine I have with freq. shift is an IDX-Pro w/ 6" coil which is kinda heavy and cumbersome for a fast comp. Hunt.. I was thinking about using my Compadre with the 5.75 inch coil. I could whip it around fast and use the small coil to pinpoint fast. my only worry is interference with other detectors having no freq. shift. I wish I had a Compadre to use but I don't. Do you think I should try the compadre or just be safe and use the IDX.
Thanks in advance
Tico

united

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2006
East Rockaway,N.Y.
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I went to many hunts. First things first. Being that the buried targets are only inches deep reduce your sensitivity on the detector. I have a Whites DFX and sure I had interference with the other detectors but the best way to reduce it is by walking away from it! Everybody else is having problems, too. If you want to change frequencies on the detector, do you have to stop and look at the screen, push tabs- all the while wasting time. Bring the detector you feel comfortable with and is light. One super secret hint- when everybody is lining up around the field check where the least amount of people are and line up there. It's usually the furthest part of the field, nobody wants to walk that far. MOST IMPORTANT IS TO HAVE FUN!!!! HH AND GOOD LUCK!! DON

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted the GSBSO and I had a Tesoro Conquistador that had a freq shifter, I sold it when I got my Fisher 1235X, I like the freq shifter on it better, there were more frequencies, and it was easier to switch freqs while hunting. The 1235X has a very fast recovery time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I hunted the GSBSO amd I had a Tesoro Conquistador that had a freq shifter, I sold it when I got my Fisher 1235X, I like the freq shifter on it beter, there were more frequencies, and it was easier to switch freqs while hunting. The 1235X has a very fast recovery time.

Ditto with the Fisher 1235. It is fast, light weight, and no trouble with other near by detectors. I think it was developed for hunts.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a competition Hunter but I've been in several over the last 3 years. I used my Ace 250 and did ok.
A multi freq MD is on my list of things to get, (Probualy the tesoro Cibola )

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sandman said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
I hunted the GSBSO amd I had a Tesoro Conquistador that had a freq shifter, I sold it when I got my Fisher 1235X, I like the freq shifter on it beter, there were more frequencies, and it was easier to switch freqs while hunting. The 1235X has a very fast recovery time.

Ditto with the Fisher 1235. It is fast, light weight, and no trouble with other near by detectors. I think it was developed for hunts.

As is the 1236X2 and Cibola. You want a machine with a fast recovery time, lightweight, and even though a larger coil helps cover more area quickly, don't get a huge coil as it'll tear up your elbow after 10/15 minutes of fast swinging thus wearing you down. I prefer to beltmount the 1236X2 and have gotten used to being able to reach over and shift freq. without looking. Keep the sens. down and adjust the disc. according to the types of targets planted. (They should tell you ahead of time the type).

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say to hunt with whatever you're more comfortable with. I hunted with my IDX Pro with a group hunt last year, and I never had any chatter from any of the other detectors. Again, it just kinda depends what you're most comfortable with. If it's the Tesoro, or if you're really concerned with arm fatigue, then maybe you should go with the Compadre.

Bran <><

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
True Bran. I'm not recommending going out and buying a machine specifically for that type of hunting. I've seen guys swinging Spectrums, Minelabs, and other heavy machines.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I know you weren't... :) Although if I had the money, I'd pick up a machine just for that type of hunting... well, if I were into competition hunts anyway. I just like relic hunting though, plain & simple. :wink:

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread