tesoro piranha question advice

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Hello,
When did tersoro stop making the underwater Piranha detector , Is it a little sister of the tiger shark ? How good is it , Im thinking of buying one , Just wanted to check here see what the story on it is , You dont see or hear of this detector anywhere ,any advice or info would be greatley appreciated
Thanks
reed :coffee2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason you don't hear of this detector much is because it is before the Stingray I and II, which was before the Tiger Shark. If it works it should help find some goodies, but you'd be better off using the money for a Tiger Shark which is way better.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Piranha was a PI machine, pre- Sandshark, and the Stingray a VLF, pre -Tigershark? Foiledagain

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Reed, I own a Piranha and have for the past 17 years and still use it! Works just fine. IMO I have no reason to replace it with a newer model. I have found good targets at over 12 inches deep with it. It is a PI detector so you will be digging a lot of trash but hey, that's were the gold is anyways. I only use it in salt water due to the fact that it does pick up any and all metal targets. I use a Fisher for fresh water as I can disc. out some of the trash, such as small iron pieces and bobby pins. If you end up getting it you will be happy with it. Happy Hunting and enjoy the beach.

OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
how will the piranha do in fresh water anybody ?
reed

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reed88 said:
how will the piranha do in fresh water anybody ?
reed

It will work just fine in fresh water, the problem is, you may spend an awful lot of time and effort digging trash. Bottle caps, nails and bobby pins will last a lot longer in fresh water than they will salt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foiledagain said:
I think the Piranha was a PI machine, pre- Sandshark, and the Stingray a VLF, pre -Tigershark? Foiledagain
Yes the Piranna was a PI detector that came out before the VLF Stingray and Stingray II. It is an older Pulse and not well suited for fresh water because of the reasons GibH gave. The circuits in the newer Sand Shark are more modern and have more disc and would be the better buy.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the Piranha was recently on ebay and I almost placed a bid on it myself but I think the bidding went too high.

I'd love to get a used Sand Shark myself to use at some old swimming holes I know about.

I know everybody says you don't need a PI in fresh water but I know for a fact that some areas have nasty mineralization going on. The PI could possibly work at these sites. Granted, one would dig one heck of a lot of trash.

Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Digging Fool said:
You may dig yourself to death with that machine in freshwater, but you won't miss anything.

Yes, good point. And I sometimes think we're missing a lot more than we think we are.

Badger

OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Hello Dale ,
Long time no see , i almost bid on that pirahana on ebay too but didnt know for sure how good it was , Thats the same reason i want one to detect these swimming holes around here, but looks like a tiger shark would fit the bill better, im still using the bandido 2 umax things doing very well ,Not in water with that one , Thats my baby :>) , Dale peole on here keep saying tiger shark > Whats your opinion on a good underwater detector ,
thanks in advance ,
reed

OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
one more thing , we do have killer mineralization here but the bandito u max works perfect here , :>)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Yes, the Piranha was recently on ebay and I almost placed a bid on it myself but I think the bidding went too high.

I'd love to get a used Sand Shark myself to use at some old swimming holes I know about.

I know everybody says you don't need a PI in fresh water but I know for a fact that some areas have nasty mineralization going on. The PI could possibly work at these sites. Granted, one would dig one heck of a lot of trash.

Badger

Do you remember what it went for? I can't find it in the completed listings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread