1) Compadre with small search coil
2) Silver microMax with CleanSweep
3) Eldorado
4) Deleon

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will do two......

Compadre- For my daughter just getting into detecting.
Sand Shark- For myself for beach/surf combing.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Golden micro max
2. Outlaw
3. Cortes
4. Tiger shark

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. Golden micro max
2. Outlaw
3. Cortes
4. Tiger shark

Those 4 that you picked would just about cover it all, but since I don't live near the ocean, I'd get the Vaquero instead of the Tiger Shark.

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Those 4 that you picked would just about cover it all, but since I don't live near the ocean, I'd get the Vaquero instead of the Tiger Shark.

tabman

If Terry has asked for five, the Tejon would have made my list. But there are so many fresh water lakes and parks with ponds where I live, that I think the Tiger Shark needed to be added. The only choice I might change is the Deleon for the Cortes, but as this is a wish list I thought... "What the hell, might as well go for the top gun." I don't have a TID machine. (Just got the Outlaw and will spend the coming season with it), but when I do buy one, it will be a Tesoro (which at the moment only leaves two choices). The Tesoro TIDs still operate with an analog tone (not counting the SUM mode on the Cortes). I think that the analog is preferable over the "pixelated" tones of digital detectors.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which do you like better? Vaquero or Tejon?

I like the Vaquero overall. I do a little farm field and relic hunting in the woods, but if I'm really looking for depth I would be in All Metal anyway, so I usually use the Sand Shark or my Minelab GPX 5000.

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
I would mainly be detecting coins and jewelry.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Terry has asked for five, the Tejon would have made my list. But there are so many fresh water lakes and parks with ponds where I live, that I think the Tiger Shark needed to be added. The only choice I might change is the Deleon for the Cortes, but as this is a wish list I thought... "What the hell, might as well go for the top gun." I don't have a TID machine. (Just got the Outlaw and will spend the coming season with it), but when I do buy one, it will be a Tesoro (which at the moment only leaves two choices). The Tesoro TIDs still operate with an analog tone (not counting the SUM mode on the Cortes). I think that the analog is preferable over the "pixelated" tones of digital detectors.

Your correct the Deleon that I had was an awesome TID ( analog) machine. One of my favorite Tesoro's that I have used. So I guess I need to pick three more! ok here it goes.
2: Golden Sabre
3: Vaquero
4 Compadre
PS. I haven't used a Tejon yet but I'm thinking if I did it might knock one of the others out of the top four!

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your correct the Deleon that I had was an awesome TID ( analog) machine. One of my favorite Tesoro's that I have used. So I guess I need to pick three more! ok here it goes.
2: Golden Sabre
3: Vaquero
4 Compadre
PS. I haven't used a Tejon yet but I'm thinking if I did it might knock one of the others out of the top four!

After doing a little more reading about both machines (Cortes and Deleon), I think the Deleon will be my next detector purchase, unless Tesoro's new machine (and a new machine IS coming) has TID and GB, then I will have to look at that one as an option as well.

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was adding up the #1 thru 4 choices that people made and came up with this.
Most often picked as their #1 choice the Vaquero with 5 picks followd by the Lobo SuperTRAQ & Tiger Shark each with 4 choices.
Most often picked as their #2 choice the sand shark with 7 picks followed by the Tejon with 5 & the Tiger Shark with 4 picks.
Most often picked as their #3 choice the Vaquero with 7 picks followed by the cortes with 5 & the sand shark with 4 picks.
Most often picked as their #4 choice the Tiger Shark with 8 picks followed by the Lobo SuperTRAQ with 4 & both the sand shark & cortes with 3 picks.
The 4 most often picked for the 4 choices were as follows Lobo SuperTRAQ 17 picks , sand shark (16) , Vaquero (15) ,Tiger Shark (13)
I only have a Lobo SuperTRAQ myself and I would have voted for it so it now has 18 picks and by the counts I will look for a Vaquero , Tejon or cortes next in that order.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love them all ! I would like to try a legend , the Bandido Umax sometime. I have never had one in my hand. I was out of the hobby for 19 years so I missed those days. I had an Inca. Someone stole it out of my utility room and didnt take the lower rod or coils. I have a metal box ElDorado in the basement. Been lost down there 25 years. It was awesome. Then have a closet queen Bandido. Got out of the hobby before I could use it much. Came back a few years ago and kept finding great deals at pawn shops and ended up adopting a whole bunch of them. I love them all. The Vaquero , The Cibola , The Silver umax and The King Daddy of them all the Tejon ! I got them all ! VIVA TESORO

Miser67

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Compadre (Small Coil)
2. Silver uMax (unless a Golden uMax becomes available!)
3. Sand Shark
4. Lobo Super Trac

That is my Tesoro Dream Team.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry did not state if they need be current production models or any so here are two lists:
1. Tejon or current models: 1. Tejon
2. Bandido 2 Umax 2. Vaquero
3. Golden Umax 3. Cortez
4. Compadre 4. Compadre

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I became a Tesoro believer after i bought a second hand Bandido 2 for 50 euro just to leave in my car trunk. I found out that this detector was a better coin shooter and silver hunter than my Godbug pro and Omega 8000. Then i bought a second hand Tigershark and on my first hunt in an small swimming area i got a 8 gram 18K white gold ring that was lying there for a long time. This swimming area was already 3 weeks closed for swimming and i know that 2 guys with ctx 3030 hunted it to dead. Today the same story, i was hunting in the evening in a small recreation area with white sand where a guy with a ctx3030 and another with an At Pro where hunting for some time when i came there and you can't believe the amount of coins my Lobo Super Traq (bought it yesterday second hand with 2 coils for 185 euro!) got out of this place and these where no fresh coins, they where there for some time and the other 2 detectorists missed them. So that's why Tesoro rocks for me and i'm detecting old skool.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. Vaquero
2. Tejon
3. Goden uMax