Need some advice/info on the Sand Shark

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First off, I'm a total Newbie (<2months) and own a Garrett Ace 350 which I've used the past two months to get totally hooked with this hobby, hooked enough to reserve a week down Myrtle Beach the end of August. I've done a ton of reading and am pretty convinced that I can't go wrong with the Sand Shark for the beach but what I can't find are any videos so I can hear what I'll hear with the Sand Shark when detecting. Since being a rookie I have become pretty accustomed to the Garrett tones, what does a shark sound like? Anyone have any links to a video that I can watch and hear the shark? Would I be happy with the Shark even on land to sell the 350? Should I get the 8 or 10" coil if/when I buy?

The other question that I would have just to reinforce my research.... will it pay to buy the shark over the Ace 350? I intend to move to Florida in a year or so and will have access to beaches more often so that isn't a worry but will I like the shark enough to get rid of the Ace 350...

Appreciate any advice you Shark owners can give me. Sorry for so many questions..

Cliff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and Tnet Cliff. :hello:
I am just one of many that can answer your questions about the Sand Shark. First it is a Pulse unit and has very little disc and it will find very deep coins, rings and hairpins. I would get the standard 8" coil as this is plenty deep enough. I wouldn't get rid of the 350 as a land detector because it will disc when you can't get to the beach and want to hunt any grass. There are no different tones on the Sand Shark, just a standard beep type that due to different speakers in the headphones will sound different from the 350, but you will have no trouble telling you that there is treasure below.
Here is a field test for more info. :read2:
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/tesoro-electronics-sand-shark-metal-detector

Attachments

• Sand Shark.gif
    Sand Shark.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Sand Shark.gif
    Sand Shark.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Thanks Sandman for the info and the link. I've done so much reading on PI detectors and as much as possible on the Sand Shark, believe it or not, I had seen that one early on.... but it was good to reread now that I have more information.

Appreciate the reply, I'll be sure to let everyone know what I decide and what ever I find while down Mrytle Beach.

Cliff

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdv1 said:
Thanks Sandman for the info and the link. I've done so much reading on PI detectors and as much as possible on the Sand Shark, believe it or not, I had seen that one early on.... but it was good to reread now that I have more information.

Appreciate the reply, I'll be sure to let everyone know what I decide and what ever I find while down Mrytle Beach.

Cliff

Good luck to you Cliff. If you have trouble finding one in stock, let me know and I'll turn you on to my Dealer in Prescott. [email protected]

Attachments

• cvfre3.jpg
    cvfre3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 250
  • cvfre3.jpg
    cvfre3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 237

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some big differences between the Sand Shark and the Ace 350 beyond that fact that one is a PI unit and the other is a VLF detector.

The Ace runs silent until you hit a target, the Sand Shark has a constant threshold hum at all times that sounds a bit like a mosquito in your ear.

The Ace is much lighter than the Sand Shark, which ought to be hip mounted to avoid fatigue in your arm.

Do not sell your Ace. Keep it because you will do a lot of land hunting / dry sand beach hunting in Florida and the Ace will be perfect for that. The Sand Shark, since it offers no discrimination at all, is used by most detectorists on the wet sand and surf where it will trounce a single frequency detector. I used mine on the dry sand of the beach also (didn't feel like switching machines once I made it to the beach) and dug a ton of trash with it.

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Good points Smudge, I'll keep them in mind. I do appreciate the discrimination with the ACE in trashy areas but I also realize I'm probably passing up some good targets missed due to the discrimination. Although the discriminating wife might not understand the "why" in I need two detectors.... oh well, in time she should get over it too!

Cliff

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdv1 said:
Good points Smudge, I'll keep them in mind. I do appreciate the discrimination with the ACE in trashy areas but I also realize I'm probably passing up some good targets missed due to the discrimination. Although the discriminating wife might not understand the "why" in I need two detectors.... oh well, in time she should get over it too!

Cliff

Have her read my article "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started" Click here and scroll down. http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdv1 said:

Cliff
Ask the wife how many pairs of shoes she needs when she can only wear one pair at a time. :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
cdv1 said:

Cliff
Ask the wife how many pairs of shoes she needs when she can only wear one pair at a time. :laughing7:

Sandman usually gives good advice. This time however.... :laughing7:

Tread carefully.

And there are folks who use PI detectors for all their metal detecting, including land. They simply believe in digging everything. My hat goes off to them. Taking a PI detector to a park requires stamina! On the plus side, if there is anything to be found of value, they will find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions