Tesoro warranty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tesoro warranty

No need to really as Tesoro honors anyone that needs repairs and does it for free. :thumbsup: White's and the others won't do this.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think sometimes people overlook the warranty. My sons detector went out after the warranty was up. Lesson learned I guess. Dan

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

ds6191 said:
I think sometimes people overlook the warranty. My sons detector went out after the warranty was up. Lesson learned I guess. Dan
Must not have been a Tesoro for there warranty is never up.it's for the life of the detector...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy this makes me wonder when Tesoro is going to say, "That's Life." Costs of repairs keep going up and they are eating the cost.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
Keppy this makes me wonder when Tesoro is going to say, "That's Life." Costs of repairs keep going up and they are eating the cost.
That's true sandman........ But i don' think tesoro will charge for repair in the near future......... That is a big selling point.......... You buy a Tesoro and it quits working they are not going to charge you $300.00 or $800.00 for a repair with a part they get for about $20.00...........or less.......... Just so they can sell you a new detector and not repair yours....... I was looking at a minelab musketeer colt on the internet for $175.00 was going to buy it ......................... Then i thought if something goes wrong with it Minelab will say we don't fix them now .....OR it will cost you $500.00 to fix it..........So i did not buy it...... I don't need a head ache from minelab........

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Our Policy is the original owner. You cannot tranfer the warranty on used detectors. We do however do a lot of work as a courtesy.

Robert Martensen
[email protected]
928-771-2646

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

"Must not have been a Tesoro for there warranty is never up.it's for the life of the detector..."

His was a different brand. But I have my Silver Umax that I love. Dan

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350

Allcav said:
Our Policy is the original owner. You cannot tranfer the warranty on used detectors. We do however do a lot of work as a courtesy.

Robert Martensen
[email protected]
928-771-2646

Thanks for clearing that up. Too many people on here giving wrong info.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When I sent my Sidewinder in, I put right in my note that I bought the machine used. When Rusty said they fixed it for free, I wanted to hug him through the phone. Not only did they fix my minor problem for free, they replaced the coil as mine had problem with the shielding. I <3 Tesoro.

Pulltab Paul

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey everyone, new guy here. I just had to share my experience with Tesoro, which is quite different than others have had.

I just bought a used Cutlass II uMax and I noticed the discriminator is acting weird. When I emailed Tesoro about the problem the guy's response was "don't buy it or send it to us for repairs. When I told the guy AGAIN that I owned it and asked how much for repairs he said he wouldn't know until they had it.

That doesn't sound like free to me and ticks me off because I'd read so much about their customer service before I bought the detector and wouldn't of touched a used one if I had known they would be so crappy about it. I was so excited to get this detector now I can't stand to look at it.

A disgruntled Tesoro owner.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Pulltab Paul said:
Oh wow am I dumb, small world hey Robert?
Does that mean you are not a disgruntled Tesoro owner now ????????

Pulltab Paul

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For the record I never bought the detector with the thought of looking for free repairs, as it is in really nice shape and seemed to work fine at the sellers house. It was later when I discovered the problems the detector has. The only wear on it is on the coil and most of that is from being moved around the house, heck even the foam handle looks like new. The seller said he only used it to find arrows that he shot.

I'll probably send it to Tesoro when I get some extra cash as it does seem like a good detector worth putting a little more $ into if need be.

Paul

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paul, you can't blame Tesoro for taking a stand on a machine that is no longer in production. And they are under no obligation to fix it. They fix some machines as a courtesy. But they can't tell you on the phone that they will fix it as a courtesy if they haven't even seen what is wrong with it. What if they promise you they'll take care of it and then get the machine only to find that it can't be fixed? At that point they would feel compelled to give you a completely new machine through no fault of their own. It is possible that if it is an easy fix they would do it for free. But I would be more inclined to expect this on a model that is still in production.

For example, imagine that you buy a used one year old machine that is still in production. You find out that it is not working correctly. If I were Tesoro, I would take care of the machine for free because in my mind, a fairly new machine should not have failed. I would not want my customers to start talking about how a new machine had broken and I had not been willing to stand behind it. But customers do not have the same expectations for machines that are out of production. Take note however, that very few other companies will fix something that is not truly within warranty anymore.

That's my two cents. Of course, Robert has clearly stated the policy so his word is what you should be following. I also agree that too many people out here are quick to incorrectly claim that Tesoro will fix the machine regardless of whether or not someone is the original owner. That's not fair to Tesoro in my opinion. Having a lifetime warranty for the original owner is unheard of these days. Let's not risk that by putting Tesoro in a bad position by making claims on their behalf. Tesoro isn't the bad guy here. No one is. Send it in and see what they will do for you. I guarantee you they will treat you fairly. That's more than you will get from most companies. :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pulltab Paul said:
Hey everyone, new guy here. I just had to share my experience with Tesoro, which is quite different than others have had.

I just bought a used Cutlass II uMax and I noticed the discriminator is acting weird. When I emailed Tesoro about the problem the guy's response was "don't buy it or send it to us for repairs. When I told the guy AGAIN that I owned it and asked how much for repairs he said he wouldn't know until they had it.

That doesn't sound like free to me and ticks me off because I'd read so much about their customer service before I bought the detector and wouldn't of touched a used one if I had known they would be so crappy about it. I was so excited to get this detector now I can't stand to look at it.

Hmmm. You were told by someone at the Tesoro Factory NOT to buy the machine - because they are so old they don't make them anymore, but you disregarded that warning and bought it anyway? Now you are upset because it doesn't work?

That's why I couldn't be a cop. I would be shooting people left and right :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Terry Soloman said:
Pulltab Paul said:

Hmmm. You were told by someone at the Tesoro Factory NOT to buy the machine - because they are so old they don't make them anymore, but you disregarded that warning and bought it anyway? Now you are upset because it doesn't work?

That's why I couldn't be a cop. I would be shooting people left and right :laughing7:
You are right..TS ..If i was told by the company not to buy a detector that was out of production........... I would not buy it......... I was told by Garrett if i bought a Old AT3 or AT4 that they do not have coils for them now so i did not buy one......... I saw were some one asked Tesoro about the Lobo and Tesoro told them not to get it .. He did not get mad he just bought a lobo super traq..........

Pulltab Paul

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Except that I had already bought the detector before I contacted Tesoro about the problem, why does everyone misunderstand this?

And I think Terry could use some therapy for that anger issue, jeez dude did I crap in your cornflakes or what?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
No need to really as Tesoro honors anyone that needs repairs and does it for free. :thumbsup: White's and the others won't do this.
I should have said Tesoro usually repairs Tesoro detectors for free for the orginal owners. It is just known that that it is advertised as Lifetime Warranty which is easier to remember. Naturally if they no longer have the part they can't repair it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread