• Tesoro Sand Shark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Your choices are fine except for the Sand Shark for a beginner. The Sand Shark is a Pulse unit and doesn't have much disc and is mainly a beach detector as in a park you'd wrap it around a tree because of all the beeps.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
John Carter comes out in March and my son and I will be going.

Am considering the Sand Shark for the beaches out here...not that others may or may not be better but salt water can be rough on ANYTHING and the Sand Shark comes with a lifetime warranty! Nuff said!

Did the research and discounted both the Silver and the Cibola (even though they're considered GREAT detectors)...no ground balance! I don't need one so much out here in California but nice to have out-of-state. I travel with fishing gear and detectors. I would hate to run into and area where a "pre-set detector" couldn't handle the ground conditions so I upped the ante and got the Vaquero.

Discounted the Lobo...don't do that type of hunting but if I did...I'd own it.

Discounted the Cortes...hear lots of good things about it but a bit pricey and even though it's got a notching system and all....I've learned to compensate but learning the sounds on the Vaquero.

I don't know what your needs are. I'm retired and living on a limited income so all my detecting purchases are paid for by what me detectors find. No matter what you get...take the time (at LEAST 100+ hours) to really learn it. It will probably buy whatever else you need! Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I can vouch for the silver Umax. Between my brother and I we have found over 30,000 coins and many many silver rings and silver pendents.Oh and his absolutely beautiful gold coin that would be on the banner if I found it.
But really the key is where you detect and learning the machine you buy. That is the key. I know it sounds crazy but with a one tone machine we can almost tell you what we are going to dig up before we dig. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Dan

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello John Carter, and welcome to the forum from White Plains, New York. Unfortunately, your question is a bit "shotgun," as you must look at each one of these machines as a tool with a specific purpose. Yes, you can use a sledgehammer to drive a nail, but a claw hammer works just as well, and isn't as heavy or hard to carry. Here is a slideshow of stuff I found with my two Tesoro machines this year.. The Sand Shark, and the Lobo Super Traq.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im surprised you don't have the vaquero on your list...what made you turn away from it?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I prefer the Lobo because it is as good or better than all of the others but without the LCD Readouts.
The vaquero would be my second choice as a do everything detector outside of underwater work.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a great Sidewinder that I bought used in the late 90's. I'm saving my pennies now for a Cibola.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a Deleon and now own a Cortes. I have recently been hunting a civil war battle site and the Cortes is pulling three ringers out 6 to 8 inches deep. I feel it's a great all around detector for what ever you hunt. It has many features, some of which I seldom use.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
Cibola is a good versatile detector which I have used for coin shooting and relic hunting. Simple, lightweight, well balanced, uses only one 9v battery. Low cost and great warranty as well. Great value for the money.

Con is preset ground balance which can be an issue in some places.

As was mentioned it depends on the type of detecting you are planning. Vaquero with the 10 x 12 coil seems to be very deep, great for relic hunting.

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much research and positive reviews and comments from fellow members. I am going with the Silver Umax. It seems like a great machine for the price. Thanks to all who "talked" me out of buying an Ace 250. It seems like I will be much happier with the Tesoro :thumbsup:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Terry Soloman said:
Hello John Carter, and welcome to the forum from White Plains, New York. Unfortunately, your question is a bit "shotgun," as you must look at each one of these machines as a tool with a specific purpose. Yes, you can use a sledgehammer to drive a nail, but a claw hammer works just as well, and isn't as heavy or hard to carry. Here is a slideshow of stuff I found with my two Tesoro machines this year.. The Sand Shark, and the Lobo Super Traq.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT4VLVG3nIU

Nice stuff terry,,always enjoy your insight on these forums,,,,

arthur

wayne co.
il.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
The Cortes isn't getting many votes. Mine had no problem finding a 1840 Seated Dime O mint mark and a 1842 Seated Half dime O mintmark out of a sugar cane field Friday :)

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cortes and love it.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all
I don`t use the new Tesoro`s I Bought a a bunch of Toltec II s back when i used to sell them in the 90s allway gettin to test the newest of detectors blew my mind.
The best finds were testing out the new machines each detector i would take to 1 new place and 2 places where people had MDd a lot,but allways got the best finds testing.
So i have allways hunted as if the detector is new to me and can`t tell what it is telling me, the trick is getting to new places... i can do it all the time here.
So i have had one of those Toltec II s for a very long time and they just have very hot elelic tronics in a small package i can hip mount the TT and hunt all day and do that all i can.
Allways got great relics from the foundations around here and many col. coins at an honest 12" on a large penny and conn.copper.. 8" on a dime.The Toltec is hot on gold anything.... deep as any i`v ever tested built very well and, has run like a top all these years. Run it in towns around here in between the sidewalk and the street and get coins rings very deep.
I can`t say enough good things about Tesoro`s and if my Toltec ever dies i will buy a new Tesoro couldnt sleep at nite without a Tesoro in my house.
Gary G.A.P.metal

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vaquero is a fantastic all around hunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread