Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TallTom

Thread: Silver uMax and 11" widescan in wet salt sand

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Mar 2012
    So. Calif.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Sand Shark. White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Pro-pointers.
    123
    32 times
    Metal Detecting

    Silver uMax and 11" widescan in wet salt sand

    I have read that the 11" widescan Tesoro coil will give me wider scanning
    coverage and about the same depth as the 8" concentric coil that
    comes with the Silver uMax. That's good for me and might be enough
    reason to buy it.

    However, I also would like to scan the wet, salty sand at my
    Southern California beaches. I've read that the 11" widescan,
    with its DD design, is less subject to mineralization problems.
    Does that also apply to salt water problems? I probably won't
    want to use it much in shallow salt water at the beach, but I'd
    like to use it in the wet sand at low tide. Will that work and give
    me any kind of depth at all?

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

    Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    11,961
    2097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I am sorry to say that no coil can really improve the Umax for hunting the wet saltwater sand without falsing. You can turn down sens till it gets stable and see what kind of depth you'll get. Most hunters learn they need a multi freq. or PI to hunt the wet sand.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

  3. #3
    us
    Mar 2012
    So. Calif.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Sand Shark. White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Pro-pointers.
    123
    32 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I am sorry to say that no coil can really improve the Umax for hunting the wet saltwater sand without falsing. You can turn down sens till it gets stable and see what kind of depth you'll get. Most hunters learn they need a multi freq. or PI to hunt the wet sand.
    I was afraid of that. I knew I wouldn't get 6-8" depth in wet salty sand with it,
    but I was hoping I might get 2-3" if I turned down Sens enough.

    Has anyone tried the 11" widescan with a Silver uMax and been able to
    get ANY depth at all in wet salty sand? Or does it get so much falsing that
    it's useless except in the dry sand? (That's my conclusion about the 8"
    concentric so far, by the way.)

  4. #4
    us
    Jul 2012
    West Coast Florida
    TESORO Cutlass II ÁMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
    67
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TallTom View Post
    I was afraid of that. I knew I wouldn't get 6-8" depth in wet salty sand with it,
    but I was hoping I might get 2-3" if I turned down Sens enough.

    Has anyone tried the 11" widescan with a Silver uMax and been able to
    get ANY depth at all in wet salty sand? Or does it get so much falsing that
    it's useless except in the dry sand? (That's my conclusion about the 8"
    concentric so far, by the way.)
    I to would love to know the answer to that!

  5. #5

    Jul 2012
    15
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    i think tesoro should come out with a beach detector for dry/wet sand that would compare to a sov gt that i hear is the beach killer with a 15 inch coiltec coil on it

  6. #6
    us
    Mar 2012
    So. Calif.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Sand Shark. White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Pro-pointers.
    123
    32 times
    Metal Detecting
    After starting this thread and not getting a definite answer to my last
    question (Will I get any depth at all in wet sand with the 11" widescan?),
    I'll give my own answer.

    I bought the 11" widescan and installed it on my Silver uMax. I had to
    learn a different way to pinpoint, and the new way it works in Disc mode and
    All-Metal mode, but that's a different topic. Here's what I learned with
    a little experimentation (admittedly not much) in wet sand on So. Calif
    beaches.

    You CAN use it on wet sand BUT:

    1. You don't get much depth. I've found targets at about 2 inches,
    and maybe 3 inches (rough estimates), but nothing deeper so far.
    I'm talking about really wet sand here. In sand that is just slightly moist,
    but not soaking wet, this coil seems to work just about the same as
    if it's in dry sand. (No falsing, similar depth.)

    2. If you touch the coil, even slightly, to the wet sand, it falses immediately.
    I need to wipe it dry to continue using it effectively.

    3. You have to turn down Sens somewhat, and you have to search in
    Disc mode, not All Metal. It falses way too much (for me anyway) in
    AM mode on the wet sand.

    Bottom line: It's a little better than the concentric 8" on wet salt sand,
    but not overwhelmingly. If you buy this coil, do it for other reasons,
    not for low tide searching near the waterline. (Those other reasons are
    good enough for me, by the way. I'm using the 11" exclusively these
    days, both at the beach in the dry sand and at parks in the dirt. I like it.)
    Last edited by TallTom; Dec 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
    beckleeson and Sandman like this.

  7. #7
    au
    Nov 2008
    197
    13 times
    Interesting info, have you tried ground balancing your Silver? That should improve it at the beach, but your ground balance for parks would then be way off, so you would need the convenience of a ground balance mod.

  8. #8
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TallTom View Post
    After starting this thread and not getting a definite answer to my last
    question (Will I get any depth at all in wet sand with the 11" widescan?),
    I'll give my own answer.

    I bought the 11" widescan and installed it on my Silver uMax. I had to
    learn a different way to pinpoint, and the new way it works in Disc mode and
    All-Metal mode, but that's a different topic. Here's what I learned with
    a little experimentation (admittedly not much) in wet sand on So. Calif
    beaches.

    You CAN use it on wet sand BUT:

    1. You don't get much depth. I've found targets at about 2 inches,
    and maybe 3 inches (rough estimates), but nothing deeper so far.
    I'm talking about really wet sand here. In sand that is just slightly moist,
    but not soaking wet, this coil seems to work just about the same as
    if it's in dry sand. (No falsing, similar depth.)

    2. If you touch the coil, even slightly, to the wet sand, it falses immediately.
    I need to wipe it dry to continue using it effectively.

    3. You have to turn down Sens somewhat, and you have to search in
    Disc mode, not All Metal. It falses way too much (for me anyway) in
    AM mode on the wet sand.

    Bottom line: It's a little better than the concentric 8" on wet salt sand,
    but not overwhelmingly. If you buy this coil, do it for other reasons,
    not for low tide searching near the waterline. (Those other reasons are
    good enough for me, by the way. I'm using the 11" exclusively these
    days, both at the beach and in the dirt. I like it.)
    You can turn your disc level up past foil and this will help as well. You will still get some falsing, but not as much.
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    ~The Cane Field Bandits~

    Oct 2007
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Cibola,
    1,211
    147 times
    Relic Hunting
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, when you use a different coil than Tesoro provided with a given detector, the machine should be re calibrated or you will have some pin pointing issues. I could be wrong but it seems I read that..........Robert Martensen?? Chime in?
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1792 French 2 Sol Copper
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1826 Two Reales
    1827 Peruvian Republic 1 Real
    1815 Ferdinand 1 Real
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    Dateless Half Real
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Five Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    Large New Orleans Hallmarked Silver Spoon
    185? Large Cent
    Confederate Pelican Civil War Button
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    CW Eagle "I" Button
    CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1896 Barber Quarter
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    186?, 1866, and a Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Plantation Tokens
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

  10. #10
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by shanegalang View Post
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, when you use a different coil than Tesoro provided with a given detector, the machine should be re calibrated or you will have some pin pointing issues. I could be wrong but it seems I read that..........Robert Martensen?? Chime in?
    Only if the unit has a factory preset ground rejection. If you have a manual or auto ground balance, you do not need to have the machine tuned to the coil!
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

  11. #11
    us
    Mar 2012
    So. Calif.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Sand Shark. White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Pro-pointers.
    123
    32 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've done some more wet-salt-sand detecting in the past few days with
    the Silver uMax and the 11" wide scan Tesoro coil, so here's some more info.

    I seem to be getting a little more than 2-3" in depth. I haven't found
    many targets in the wet sand, but a few have been possibly as deep
    as 4". I'm not measuring, just estimating, and that's hard when the
    hole fills nearly full with water as soon as I scoop, so I don't claim
    perfection here, but I definitely get better than 2" sometimes.

    I've been using Disc and setting it to just above foil. Only the center
    portion of the DD coil detects a target in Disc mode, unlike AM mode,
    where nearly the whole diameter of the coil detects. This difference
    wasn't clear to me until I got the coil and experimented with it.
    So I have to overlap much more in Disc mode if I want to cover an
    area thoroughly when detecting. (On the dry sand, I can search
    in AM mode and then flick the switch to Disc mode after I hear a
    target in order to find out if it's a good target. In the wet sand
    I have to scan in Disc mode to prevent constant falsing.)

    I've had no pinpointing problems. A little back yard testing showed
    me how to use the X technique to find the target location quite
    accurately. That works well, whether I'm in dirt, dry sand, or
    wet sand. It's not the same as pinpointing with a concentric coil,
    but I knew that before buying the coil from reading this forum and
    other sources.

    Regarding the need to have factory adjustment for this different coil,
    I haven't seen the need for any change. Maybe it would give me better
    results, but so far I'm quite happy with how it's performing. The sounds
    of some targets are different, but I've learned them fairly well, I think.
    Quarters now sound softer than with the 8" concentric. Nickels are a
    little raspier. Bottle caps are louder and raspier still. But I know the
    sounds can always be deceiving (or maybe I should say my ears can
    be deceiving), so I generally dig anything that has almost any
    chance of being good. Even when I say to myself, "That's going
    to be a bottle cap," I dig it and 90 percent of the time I'm right.
    But sometimes it's a nickel or some other interesting object.
    And if it's a bottle cap, well, I'm helping clean up the beach or
    the park.

    To answer another question, no, I have not looked into getting
    a ground balancing mod for my Silver uMax. Maybe I will later, but
    so far it's doing what I want in my local ground conditions. And I'm
    able to detect in wet sand this way, as long as I'm careful not to
    make contact with the sand, and I'm getting 3-4" depth in targets.

    So no complaints from me. I'm getting what I hoped for, and maybe more.

    --Tom
    Last edited by TallTom; Aug 03, 2012 at 07:01 AM.

  12. #12
    us
    Jun 2006
    treasureturf.com
    CTX 3030
    337
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would stay out of wet sand with that model tesero.

  13. #13
    us
    Mar 2012
    So. Calif.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Sand Shark. White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Pro-pointers.
    123
    32 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    I would stay out of wet sand with that model tesero.
    I usually do stay out! However, once in a while when it's low tide and I see a long
    expanse of exposed wet sand where I KNOW a bunch of people were
    waist-deep in the water a few hours before, I can't resist.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Silver uMax - "Morse Code" interference
    By TallTom in forum Tesoro
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 21, 2012, 08:05 AM
  2. The salt, the sun, the sand
    By TreasurdiggrNY in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 05, 2010, 07:51 PM
  3. WTB Tesoro uMax 11" Round Widescan coil
    By w242 in forum Treasure Related Stuff Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
  5. Tesoro Silver uMax on wet salt water beach HELP
    By metalfoot in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug 30, 2008, 04:39 AM

Search tags for this page

can a silver u max be used on a salt water beach effectively

,
deep widescan search head design
,
getting the best depth from a tesoro cutlass 2 umax
,
tesoro 10.5 in coil on a cutless
,

tesoro 11 in dd widescan coil

,

tesoro 11 widescan coil

,
tesoro widescan coil test
,

using tesoro silver umax in wet sand

,
which is best 8 inch widescan coil or an 11 inch coil for tesoro cutlass
,
which is best coil for the tesoro cutlass on dry sand
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3