Tesoro Tiger Shark

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I presently own a Excalibur II but am thinking of purchasing a second machine for fresh water hunting. The machine will be used as a backup and for my wife to have a machine to use.

I am considering the Tiger shark because of it's reputation for finding small gold and silver and for the fact they claim it will find gold chains as well. I really love the Excal. but for my wife it's a little cumbersome.

I would appreciate your opinion on my stated needs and what your thoughts are on it's sensitivity to small gold and gold chains. Rick:coffee2:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear in mind that unless you get the older version your going to be stuck with either the larger coil for depth or the smaller coil for sensitivity. Whites brought its Dual Field designs to get round this problem. Or you could look at other PI brands that allow the coils to be changed.

O God Tiger not Sand Shark but ability to change coils remains just as important.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark is a VLF detector and not a PI. I use one for freshwater along with CZ-20, Excal 1000, 1280 and AT Pro. I am not so hot on the ATP. Get the Tiger with the smaller coil. I have the older version so I can change coils and mainly keep the smaller one on. It is very easy to use and finds earring backs. Is that small enough? Thin gold chains are easy too, but it can also find tiny split shot and bird shot. So if it keeps falling through a fine holed scoop, forget it. 044.jpg

OP
OP
Rockin Chairs Gold

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I used to own the Tesoro Sting Ray for a number of years. It was a trouble free unit and very sinsitive to very small thin gold.

I have no intentions of putting it in salt water. Here in the Midwest we do have some black sand on the Great lakes. How does it handle that propblem?
Thanks in advance. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread