OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can't bring yourself to like a Tesoro. So what..... So long as we can have fun digging up stuff instead of cutting the grass we are ahead of the game no matter which detector we use. Myself, I hate the cheap Bounty Hunters. Not because they aren't any good, but they are sold in big box stores to newbies and the new people don't get any instruction on how to retrieve a coin. So they use a shovel and leave holes in parks so we all get kicked out of places.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just bought a Tesoro Diablo II off of Ebay, a nice little gold nugget detector in seemingly good shape. I called Tesoro and asked them if they would make sure if everything was working correctly, and how much would it cost? They said that the function check and tuning was a courtesy, and if anything was really wrong they would call me. I don't think that Whites would have done the same thing. Also the Tech spent time with me on the phone helping to understand which coils work on this machine since it works at 20Khz and the current LST's work at 17.8Khz. An intresting fact about the plastic housings; I was reading a write up in the Lost Treasure archives on the Diablo II, and it said that the plastic used in the housing had shielding qualities built into it against electrical interferance. Not bad for 1993.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
That's great!I have heard the Tesoro gurus talk about the diablo 2 a bunch,saying it was actually better than the LST.I think because the manual gb is tied to the disc circuit,something like that anyway.The plastic housing must be why i get little to none of emi trouble out of my Tesoros. :-)

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I too believe people should run what they believe is best or gives them an edge and is comfortable to use.

I also have a Tejon, never owned a Whites, but who knows.

So your not getting along with the Tejon has me wondering, outside of the plastic and concerns about the build quality, you found unacceptable, did you come to terms with the machines operation and have any positive results with actually using the machine.

PK

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here is what happens. I went to the park I hunt normally, now remember i am in Costa Rica so you have to picture the following scenario.
We live in a country that was created by volcanos, actually around the capital there are like 4 of them. So soil is mineralized. Second, electric current is still distributed with air lines, even though by the park that I hunt there aren't any.
Third, people have no education, so you will find lots of trash in parks because they are too lazy to walk up to the waste basket to properly dispose of them.
So that been said, I went out, and obviously ground balanced the detector. Started and there were lots and lots of signals all over the place, used discrimination but realized that most of the targets were trash even with the discrimination set properly.
Ok here is what I found to be different than with my v3i. With my v3i I know that a square pull tab will be always a good signal with a vdi of 25-26, a screw bottle cap will be a good signal with vdi of 64 (if I remember correctly), now a good 25 colones signal will be around 52 of vdi and old coins will be around 70. Also the plot analysis can tell me 90% of the time if its worth digging or not. Maybe I got too dependent of this system but I find it to be very accurate and it Will most likely not fail to I.d. A coin.
With the tejon, I wasn't able to distinguish a good signal from a bad one, sometimes bad sounded good, sometimes good sounded bad.
If I rely 100% on my ears even with the v3i I get fooled, but with the complement of the screen I can confirm or not what sounded like a good target. With the tejon confirmation is impossible even turning the disc up.
I am not in the us and discrimination is quite different here, I need to dig signals in the pull tab range and in the bottle cap range in order to find the good stuff, and coins are almost all made of the same materials they only vary in sizes, old ones are even more difficult to distinguish from the trash.
Silver coins are as rare as a back sheep, they were all discontinued in 1915, so in order to find silver you need to go to old places, that are also impossible to find since most old parks have been destroyed and the actual parks aren't older than 50 years.
So you now might understand why it is so difficult to hunt here.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand where your coming from now. You need to use the best detector for your area and the V3i is the best where you live.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Great job norbyx! Well explained.Thank you very much for your help with the headphones.When i was young,i loved my whites detector too.I think it was a 5900 coinmaster,i think that is right,my meter was a needle.I got tricked into being a tesoro fan,but i will not go into that.I like to mess with other detectorist just like you,then we come clean,and everything is great right. ;-) We are just like fisherman i guess.My open face will smoke that closed face,i got a Penn,no i got this,my fish is bigger etc.....same old story.

Last edited:

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
!00% solid explanation. Similar to what I read on most other dissatisfied opinions. Explains how so many enjoy the Tejon, and why others have a tough time with it.

PK

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have to use what works in your area, and for sure the Tejon does not like highly minerlized soil. It's a low to medium soil type detector, and that definatly does not include volcanic soil. I have a file on the Tejon on how to interpet the beeps more accuratly, a guy off of the old Tesoro forum on the Tesoro website did a study on the Tejon. There is a trick to understanding it better. If anybody wants it let me know in PM and I'll send it to you.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only three knobs are GB(10 turn), threshold, and sensitivity. Also two switches, soil condition(Low, med, high), and tuning(auto, normal, and retune). The manual GB and the ability to pick your retuning speed is key to nugget hunters. The more clearly defined soil condition switch is pretty cool, I can't wait to try it out.

That's great!I have heard the Tesoro gurus talk about the diablo 2 a bunch,saying it was actually better than the LST.I think because the manual gb is tied to the disc circuit,something like that anyway.The plastic housing must be why i get little to none of emi trouble out of my Tesoros. :-)

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now tell me something else, my tesoro has 30 min of use because I wanted to test it to see if I could adapt to it, and I couldn't,

You gave the machine 30 minutes? That's not a fair test period for any machine.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Mzjavert said:
You gave the machine 30 minutes? That's not a fair test period for any machine.

You are right it's not but in 30 min it was giving false signals like for 29 min. So that was enough for me. Anyhow I sold it so I hope that someone else with less ground problems than mine will enjoy it.

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plastic housing is purely a weight limitation issue, making them lightweight and easy to swing, the machine has great depth and in my opinion some of the best discrimination on the market today! All new detectors take some trial and error to get used to before you become proficient with that particular model/brand. You probably where so turned of by the "housing" you ignored the superior circuitry. with a LIFETIME warranty they are confident in their machines! I respect your opinion, and there are a lot of whites fans for a reason. I feel you should have given Tesoro more of your time, but hey se la vie....... Enjoy our hobby and happy hunting.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
The most important thing is to enjoy what we think its out best option. If people are happy with tesoros so be it, I wouldn't want anything more than a detector that works out for me, does t matter the brand.

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Warranty

Tesoro may represent a style of detecting you do not like and that is a fair argument for preferring a different company. But seriously, trying to vandalize Tesoro for their warranty is pure scandal.

You can sure do that, opinions are good as long as they have a good base.
As for what concerns the warranty don't make me laugh, lifetime not transferable warranty is like giving a warranty to 10% of the detectors since 90% get sold or traded after a couple of years. Whites doesn't offer lifetime but does offer the fact that its transferable. Anyway I don't see why everyone has to like tesoros, I had 2 and I gave them both a chance, and I disliked them both. Will I get a third? NO, lesson learned, I am not a Tesoro user and probably will never be one.
Is it a good detector, most likely yes, but its just not for me. I am letting someone else take advantage of that and let him have a new detector for less....

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon is a very powerful machine. It is designed for relic hunting. I always tell people with the Tejon to turn your sensitivity down if you are coin hunting. Also, in trashy areas, use a smaller coil.
You are right, Tesoro machines are not for everybody. You rely on a TID machine and that's great for you. Our machines are absolutely are a beep and dig and do take a while to understand our way and style of detecting. Good luck no matter what you do.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I spoke with Robert before I bought the Tejon. We discussed three detectors I was interested in to expand on my Sand Shark with removable coil.

He mentioned that the Tejon is powerful, and at times would need to be throttled back. He compared it to owning a high end sports car, where sometimes you don't need all the power so you need to maintain control. I believe he said something similar to there may be times you need to drive like a compact car...but when it needs to run it will.

I have run my Tejon wide open in some places, and was amazed at the depth it found stuff, other times it was throttled way back (on account of the moisture in the sand effecting ground balance) detecting a wet sand line along the ocean. This was on account of me, testing the machine to see exactly what kind of limits the Tejon had in regards to salt water beaches and hunting supposedly dry sand.

PK

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanna see some pix of "nodix" finds. I have used nothing but Tesoro detectors in my finds and I will put them up against any. Nuff said.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beep and dig is so much easier. I guess I'm just use to it because if you don't dig it all you might be missing a gold nugget. Even when I use my GMT, I still don't trust the iron analyzer graph that much.

The Tejon is a very powerful machine. It is designed for relic hunting. I always tell people with the Tejon to turn your sensitivity down if you are coin hunting. Also, in trashy areas, use a smaller coil.
You are right, Tesoro machines are not for everybody. You rely on a TID machine and that's great for you. Our machines are absolutely are a beep and dig and do take a while to understand our way and style of detecting. Good luck no matter what you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread