Anyone esle having problems with Tesoro Outlaw?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Tesoro Outlaw about 2 months ago. It is my first detector since a mid-range whites detector in the late 80s, so I do not have much to compare it to.

It was great for the first 4 weeks, but since then I have the following problem:
- while in discrimination mode, the detector begins working like it is in all metal mode

I brought the detector back to the shop I bought it from. He was able to "fix" it by blowing out dirt that was stuck in the ground balance knob. This as a cause of my problem did not make sense, and after about 1 hour of use, the same problem began to happen.

I've now decided to contact Tesoro directly. They claim that no one else is having this problem. They support person asked if the auto-tune button fixes the issue. I took the detector out yesterday and the issue kept popping up. Sometimes the auto-tune would resolve the issue but it was not consistent and often required me hitting auto-tune several times and/or turning it off and resetting.

The detector does only have one tone, which I now realize is a disadvantage. However, for the first 4 weeks I really like the detector. However, right now, I am just frustrated and regret buying detector that is brand new to the market.

Would love to hear from other people who have an Outlaw.

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Outlaw

I've had my Outlaw for about a month now and it is plenty dusty as we've had a dry autumn. have not had the issue you are describing but I will watch for it. I agree, the blow it out option does not sound like a reason for the circuit to change like that unless you managed to fill the unit with metal filings.

Please post on how you make out.

I bought a Tesoro Outlaw about 2 months ago. It is my first detector since a mid-range whites detector in the late 80s, so I do not have much to compare it to.

It was great for the first 4 weeks, but since then I have the following problem:
- while in discrimination mode, the detector begins working like it is in all metal mode

I brought the detector back to the shop I bought it from. He was able to "fix" it by blowing out dirt that was stuck in the ground balance knob. This as a cause of my problem did not make sense, and after about 1 hour of use, the same problem began to happen.

I've now decided to contact Tesoro directly. They claim that no one else is having this problem. They support person asked if the auto-tune button fixes the issue. I took the detector out yesterday and the issue kept popping up. Sometimes the auto-tune would resolve the issue but it was not consistent and often required me hitting auto-tune several times and/or turning it off and resetting.

The detector does only have one tone, which I now realize is a disadvantage. However, for the first 4 weeks I really like the detector. However, right now, I am just frustrated and regret buying detector that is brand new to the market.

Would love to hear from other people who have an Outlaw.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said, if it continues and the re-tune button doesn't seem to work, send it in for us to repair it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't say if you took off the coil cover or tried it with one of the other coils Tesoro gave you when you bought it. Clean out the coil cover and see if that helps.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will try cleaning coil and using another coil. If that does not work, I will send it in.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So whats the verdict? Did it need to be serviced?

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Thread like this is the entire reason i do not buy "LIKE NEW,USED ONLY ONE MONTH" detectors from ebay!!

None the less,I hope the OP got his machine lined out!!

HH John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like it was "user error."

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main problem, which isn't really a problem, is that the Outlaw need to either be put in all-metal re-tune or the re-tune button needs to be pushed in before you can do anything with it. It must be first put in the all-metal re-tune switch to ground balance it. If you do not do it this way, the thresh will rise and not work properly.
Our older machines that we made like this one had an auto re-tune the second you turned on the unit. The Outlaw does not.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Allcav,Thats very good information.Appreciate you sharing it!

HH John

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I have not posted a response because been busy and what little testing I did had mixed results.

For the record, the issues I have been having definitely could be "user error".

However, to begin with, I did read the user manual, but I found this video much easier to follow:

I also just re-read the manual this evening.

Anyway, I did the following so far:
1) I cleaned the small coil - same problem
2) I switched the medium size coil
- this seemed to fix the problem and I actually found my first silver coin pretty quickly
- however, after a few hours of hunting, the same problem began to occur (I am hunting in a local park)

To what Robert posted, I always start my metal detector in "Auto" to first set the ground balance. One questions:
- Does the detector need to be turned on in either "All Metal" or "Discrimination" mode and then the mode changed to "Auto" or can I have the mode switch already turned on to "Auto" when I turn it on?

When I start my detector, I typically
- Switch Mode to "Auto"
- Turn detector on
- Set the threshold
- Set the ground balance
- Set Mode to "Disc"
- Set "Sensitivity"
- Set "Disc"

Am I missing something?

Also, when the issue does happen, sometimes pushing, holding, and releasing the "Retune" button fixes it. Sometimes, repeating the steps listed above fixes it. Sometimes, like when I left the park in frustration, nothing fixes it.

Anyway, I hope to have more time this weekend to test and will post results.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I took the detector out for more testing and results are as follows:
- intermittently the detector begins to work like it is in all metal mode (no-retune) even though it is in discrimination mode
- the other thing I noticed is that while the detector is in all metal mode (no-retune) it sometimes behaves likes it is in all metal mode (with retune)

Summary: After numerous times testing and lots of troubleshooting, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that there is a problem with the retune button. My reasoning for this is that while in discrimination mode, the retune button allows you to toggle to the all metal mode. I think that toggling not working properly could explain the results I am seeing.

For the record, the contact at Tesoro has been supportive and told me to send it in weeks ago. I will be sending it in within the next couple days.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please let us know the out come.

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same exact problem. Called Tesoro and the guy that deals with it was saposed to call me back but never did last friday. I owned the outlaw for about 2 weeks before it started acting up.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same exact problem. Called Tesoro and the guy that deals with it was saposed to call me back but never did last friday. I owned the outlaw for about 2 weeks before it started acting up.

I am sorry, I was out at an outing with the Road Runners club. I do not have a message on my desk to call you.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent mine back. Tesoro should have received last week or today. Will post update when I get one.

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry, I was out at an outing with the Road Runners club. I do not have a message on my desk to call you.

Thats cool. I was in no big hurry. It's the end of the season here in WI and the ground is getting hard. I talked to Brian? maybe. He was very helpful and said to send it in. A big THANK YOU to Tesoro!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread