Vaquero - difference between all metal and disc. modes? how to use them properly?

mayhem69

Greenie
Oct 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i didnt get my new Vaquero yet but been reading up on it on the Tesoro site and hitting youtube. I just have a few basic questions regarding the 2 different modes, all metal and discrimination mode.
The manual states when doing a ground balance to put the unit in "all metal" mode to set up for ground. To super tune it states to leave the unit in discriminate mode to scan deeper!!
Just wondering WHY there are 2 modes to begin with?? Seems to me i should use disc. mode all the time to scan deeper?
What is the difference between the 2 modes and how do i use them?

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i didnt get my new Vaquero yet but been reading up on it on the Tesoro site and hitting youtube. I just have a few basic questions regarding the 2 different modes, all metal and discrimination mode.
The manual states when doing a ground balance to put the unit in "all metal" mode to set up for ground. To super tune it states to leave the unit in discriminate mode to scan deeper!!
Just wondering WHY there are 2 modes to begin with?? Seems to me i should use disc. mode all the time to scan deeper?

The All metal mode is the non-motion (coil does not have to be moving to detect a metal target) mode and you can only ground balance in this mode. The Discriminate mode is the motion mode (coil has to be in motion to detect a metal target) and you can only use this mode for super tune.

They have not invented a way to have discriminate and non-motion ground balance in one mode (yet).

You will find out when you start using it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mayhem69

Greenie
Oct 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The All metal mode is the non-motion (coil does not have to be moving to detect a metal target) mode and you can only ground balance in this mode. The Discriminate mode is the motion mode (coil has to be in motion to detect a metal target) and you can only use this mode for super tune.

They have not invented a way to have discriminate and non-motion ground balance in one mode (yet).

You will find out when you start using it.

Does everyone run this in "super tune", disc. mode?

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they do not, for the short answer.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some areas you cant run in the so called super tune because of different ground.Some places it will pick up hot rocks. also will give false readings.
The Disc. mode is bascially for coin hunts. it will weed out iron and other objects. depend on setting.
In the all metal mode which is the relic hunters best friend. most hunters will dig everything you will get more depth in this mode

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the all metal mode as long as conditions let me, you will get more depth, but you also need more concentration for not missing small or deep objects

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, so I am getting used to my F4, what mode (LCD) screen should I be using when hunting? Any for setting the ground balance (pumping) what mode do I use while turning the ground balance knob.

I want a basic setting for relic hunting to get the most depth and accuracy. (all metal mode?)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember that in all metal, you will get all metals. When I hunt a park or very traveled area, I use the disc., but if I'm covering a sports field (sidelines, end fields etc.) I will run in all metal, this will allow me to get every target along with the deep stuff, I will be digging a lot of trash, but that's what you have to do to get the treasure. when I get a target that cracks, I will disc it out to get a good idea what it is, then dig it. I love not having a screen to look at because there is a surprise in every hole (though, once you know your machine, you learn what it's telling you).

As far as the F4 goes, I have no idea, I don't own a fisher, but I'm sure there are those here who can help you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here is the link to the manual Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

All Metal mode, is a VCO (voltage controlled occilation) option that allows you to hunt a great depth in all soil conditions, from mild to extremely heavily mineralized soils, sands and clay. You ground balance in All Metal, so that you can hear the positive and negative breaks in the audible threshold - Still with me? In other words, you can hear the signal so that you can adjust, or tune the machine to the ground you are hunting.

When you switch to "Discrimination" mode, the audible threshold goes away. You only hear a signal when you go over a target you have not discriminated, or blocked out (like iron). When you "Supertune" the Vaquero in Discriminate mode, you are cranking up your gain and sensitivity until you get chatter, and then backing them off a hair. This is also known to old timers as "Running Hot," or "On the Edge." It is not always a good idea, and can actually backfire in some soils costing you depth instead of gaining it.

Call Tesoro, and ask them if they will send you a hard copy of the Manual. Good Luck!

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
I got my vaquero about 3 weeks ago i was a little bit intimidate at first being my first manual ground balance machine but it is super easy and takes no time at all to set it up and it is a beast or a machine. Even though there's no visual display or multi tone. Once you start digging with it for a while and use you discrimination knob when you hit a target and you can get a good feel of what you have in the ground. And I don't have a pinpointed so when I dig a target I put mine in all metal and wave handfuls of dirt in front of the coil and sometime find bonus items other than my main target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread