DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone tried both the 12x10 widescan tesoro coil vs the 12x10 S.E.F?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone has had to of tried both coils, I need to make a decision soon

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
has anyone tried both the 12x10 widescan tesoro coil vs the 12x10 S.E.F?

I know it sounds wrong, but I would go with the 10" eliptical double d if you want superior depth on silver coins.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I also already have the 9x8 stock coil and the 5.75 concentric

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Bobby S said:
I'm interested to know if any of the bigger coils for the Vaquero would do a better job at finding some of the deeper coins like large cents and Indian pennies and barbers...I know some of those coins can be found with the stock coil and such, but I'm just curious as to how the 12x10 widescan or the 12x10 S.EF do....Thanks

The widescan coils are just fun to search with because of the wide search signal pattern that is shaped like a knife going down the center of the coil.The concentric coils get the max depth but you can easily miss targets because the far end of the signal is shaped like a point,only covering at depth at a very small area.This is why even though i have neutral soil that i prefer to just hunt with widescan coils not unless i want to search a small area for a very deep coin or relic.The widescan just feels good on the detector because you feel like you are covering the ground in a efficient manner.The concentric just feels like you are looking for a needle in a hay stack.The widescan will also slice in between trash because of the signal pattern.I pulled a colonial coin out of a trashy school ground that was built over a colonial site with a 10x5 elliptical tesoro coil hooked to the tejon.This coil is one of the best tesoro coils i have ever used.Works great on the vaq also.The 10x5 is the most versatile coil.A solid coil will not get hung in the woods like a open coil,you can keep it closer to the ground and the way it is shaped it will work around trees,rocks,foundations so easily.Anyone with a vaq or tejon,i would suggest the coil.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The widescan coils are just fun to search with because of the wide search signal pattern that is shaped like a knife going down the center of the coil.The concentric coils get the max depth but you can easily miss targets because the far end of the signal is shaped like a point,only covering at depth at a very small area.This is why even though i have neutral soil that i prefer to just hunt with widescan coils not unless i want to search a small area for a very deep coin or relic.The widescan just feels good on the detector because you feel like you are covering the ground in a efficient manner.The concentric just feels like you are looking for a needle in a hay stack.The widescan will also slice in between trash because of the signal pattern.I pulled a colonial coin out of a trashy school ground that was built over a colonial site with a 10x5 elliptical tesoro coil hooked to the tejon.This coil is one of the best tesoro coils i have ever used.Works great on the vaq also.The 10x5 is the most versatile coil.A solid coil will not get hung in the woods like a open coil,you can keep it closer to the ground and the way it is shaped it will work around trees,rocks,foundations so easily.Anyone with a vaq or tejon,i would suggest the coil.

Thank you for the response. The only other coil I have besides the stock is the 5.75 concentric coil, but I was tryin to decide if I wanted another one for a different application, such as wooded areas, etc. I think the 10x5 elliptical widescan would work well for me for some of the areas I want to hunt next season. Did you have your 10x5 coil tuned to your machine at the factory or did you buy it separate?

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
With the vaq you can use any 4 pin coil.Because the vaq has ground balance you don't have to worry about the factory.But just remember that the 9x8 coil that came on the vaq will get you the max dept because it is a concentric.So if you really want the most possible depth of a coil for the vaq the stock coil is it.Not even a 15x12 sef can touch it.But like i said i like hunting most of the time myself with DD's.

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a Vaquero today. I was testing the disc out on several items and noticed the coil only picked up the object if it was pretty much centered on the inside half of the coil!?:icon_scratch: The stock Outlaw coil did the same thing but it went bonkers and is headed for repairs now. Is this a retune issue or would it go away with a DD or other coil?:dontknow: P.S. distance didnt seem to matter here close or far away I got the same results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SpiritRelic said:
With the vaq you can use any 4 pin coil.Because the vaq has ground balance you don't have to worry about the factory.But just remember that the 9x8 coil that came on the vaq will get you the max dept because it is a concentric.So if you really want the most possible depth of a coil for the vaq the stock coil is it.Not even a 15x12 sef can touch it.But like i said i like hunting most of the time myself with DD's.

The 9x8 doesn't seem that great for deep silver though. I mean a lot of the places I hunt are trashy and sometimes there's some mineralization, but I haven't found too many coins significantly deep. The 5.75 concentric helps in some of the trash, but again it's a small coil and it has to be right over something. I'm sending the vaq back to the factory to get a clean bill of health because the pinpoint button only works for a couple seconds and then stops working even when I have the button pushed in. Idk if that can have an effect in performance, but from what I hear I think the 10x5 can really help me find some good stuff where I hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread