Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Is my Vaquero working?

    So I've been spending alot of hours between my two Tesoros trying to learn their languages. Lately I've been using the Compadre alot, and digging lots of pulltabs trying to get that gold jewelry that the Compadre seems to like so much! I was doing some depth testing in my test garden and realized the Comp had a tough time finding a dime at 5" just a very faint blip, I wouldn't have probably dug the signal. A quarter was a decent signal at 6" penny and nickel about the same. When I couldn't find the dime I pulled out the old Vaquero and got a nice neutral ground balance. Hmmm... no signal on dime with sensitivity at 6. Turned up sensitivity gradually to max, still nothing. Ok, time to supertune. I had an erratic beep on the dime when supertuned. This was with the 5.75 widescan coil. I decided to switch out with the stock 9x8 concentric. Same results with stock coil. Further air testing proved the weak depth. Air testing on a US quarter was about 6" nickel and penny about the same with the dime hitting at about 5" max. Am I missing something? I seem to have only been finding coins in the 5"-7" range lately, still finding some deep targets, just large junk though. I'm sending it to Tesoro ASAP, just like to hear anyones thoughts on the lack of depth? Thanks
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    12,431
    3001 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    It sounds like it was working well before. If in doubt send it in now before they get real busy. They are a good company and will take care of you. At least you will have peace of mind. You know your machine better than anyone. Simple question did you try the test with the head phones un plugged?

  4. #3
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    It sounds like it was working well before. If in doubt send it in now before they get real busy. They are a good company and will take care of you. At least you will have peace of mind. You know your machine better than anyone. Simple question did you try the test with the head phones un plugged?
    I always you headphones whether swinging or just testing.
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  5. #4

    Sep 2012
    848
    84 times
    Yeah because most vaqueros are low tone.And you do have to listen more on low tone.But a vaquero will hit a quarter,supertuned close to 12".If you can't get close to that supertuned you got a problem.

  6. #5
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This is what I can tell you. In an air test not super tuned, the quarter should be reached at about 9" and the dime about 7". I wont talk about pennies or nickles at this point. I tried this both with too + and too - and just right in the air. When you are too +, it looses depth considerably. These test are all with the disc level at min. We all know max disc will loose depth so I wont even test it that way.
    I can also tell you that if your coil is out of tune, it could have the same effect. It could also be something in the circuitry but my guess would be the coil.
    Please, before you decide to send it in. Even in an air test. Ground balance the machine properly or your results won't be right. You can also test this your self. If you are indoors, use a hot rock to balance the machine. If you don't have a hot rock, take it out side and balance it and do your tests out there.
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

  7. #6
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritRelic View Post
    Yeah because most vaqueros are low tone.And you do have to listen more on low tone.But a vaquero will hit a quarter,supertuned close to 12".If you can't get close to that supertuned you got a problem.
    Yes Spirit and Tn, I alway use my headphones, whether testing or in the field. Spirit, I figured there had to be a problem. The bummer is I don't know how long it's been acting up. I've been doing alot of reasearch on local historical places and hunting some sites that may have produced some nice older coins if I wasn't getting such poor depth. I guess I need to go back over those sites! Is the pinpointing actually no-motion on the Vaq? It seems I have to move the coil to keep it working. Thanks for your help. Scott
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  8. #7
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Allcav View Post
    This is what I can tell you. In an air test not super tuned, the quarter should be reached at about 9" and the dime about 7". I wont talk about pennies or nickles at this point. I tried this both with too + and too - and just right in the air. When you are too +, it looses depth considerably. These test are all with the disc level at min. We all know max disc will loose depth so I wont even test it that way.
    I can also tell you that if your coil is out of tune, it could have the same effect. It could also be something in the circuitry but my guess would be the coil.
    Please, before you decide to send it in. Even in an air test. Ground balance the machine properly or your results won't be right. You can also test this your self. If you are indoors, use a hot rock to balance the machine. If you don't have a hot rock, take it out side and balance it and do your tests out there.
    Robert, I've tried ground balancing perfectly neutral, a bit + and a bit -. I am balancing to the surrounding clean ground in my test garden. also I had the same results with both the 5.75 widescan as well as the stock coil, although the stock coil may have been 0.5" or so better. I would think it unlikely that both coils are defunct. I'm pretty familiar with ground balancing as most of my time on the Vaq has been in all metal during prospecting, and I constantly check my GB every 2-3 feet (and finding sub-grain lead shot and bb's no problem). That could be why I havent noticed it until recently, as I dont use disc mode very often, but lately I've been wanting to get those deeper targets that the Compadre wont hit on. I was told that I could run sensitivity around 9-10 and get great depth without supertuning. Does this seem correct? Thanks
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  9. #8
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You should get the depth. I also want to add, in heavy mineralized soil in the disc mode, you will loose depth as well.
    Now that you mentioned trying it on 2 different coils, I would have you send it in for us to look at. Make sure you leave a note with your problems. Leave a phone number and a return address just in case I have to call you for something.
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

  10. #9
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Allcav View Post
    You should get the depth. I also want to add, in heavy mineralized soil in the disc mode, you will loose depth as well.
    Now that you mentioned trying it on 2 different coils, I would have you send it in for us to look at. Make sure you leave a note with your problems. Leave a phone number and a return address just in case I have to call you for something.
    Will do Robert, U da man!
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  11. #10
    us
    Dec 2005
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    I like most Fishers, all Compasses, 4 Minelabs, most Teknetics, some Tesoros, 5 Garretts, some Whites. I own 25 of them & have worked in designing, manufacturing, line supervision, & repairing them.
    552
    126 times
    Oops! Question has already been answered..
    Last edited by LuckyLarry; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

  12. #11

    Sep 2012
    848
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    Yes Spirit and Tn, I alway use my headphones, whether testing or in the field. Spirit, I figured there had to be a problem. The bummer is I don't know how long it's been acting up. I've been doing alot of reasearch on local historical places and hunting some sites that may have produced some nice older coins if I wasn't getting such poor depth. I guess I need to go back over those sites! Is the pinpointing actually no-motion on the Vaq? It seems I have to move the coil to keep it working. Thanks for your help. Scott
    The Vaquero is totally a motion based detector,there are very few detectors that have no-motion mode.The outlaw has this feature.The Vaquero is such a great all terrain detector!. :-V

  13. #12
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Minelab X Terra 505, Fisher F2, Fisher & Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune Hunter
    504
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritRelic View Post
    The Vaquero is totally a motion based detector,there are very few detectors that have no-motion mode.The outlaw has this feature.The Vaquero is such a great all terrain detector!. :-V
    Thanks spirit. I shipped it back for service, I'm confident it will work great when I get it back.
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

  14. #13
    us
    Oct 2012
    Columbus Michigan
    Newbie --Researching for one now
    29
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Hi Robert I saw this air test-so I ran a check on mine

    Hi Robert I saw this air test advice for the vaquero so I ran a check on mine-I had 3.5 turns on my ground balance knob-- so I set it at 1.75 turns off of the soft stop I think this is what the book says is a good way to start. Should be close to the middle postion for a starting point.

    Threshold=full , sens=10, Disc=min quarter 10 - 11 in and dime 9-10 in-

    Threshold=full , sens=full, Disc=min quarter 12 - 15 in and dime 10-13 in

    Threshold=full , sens=10, Disc=beaver tail pull tab just past Nickel quarter 10-11 in and dime & copper penny 9-10 in, zinc penny 9 in, Anthony dollar 10-11 in and my cell phone 19 in. a droid x

    I tried this with a half a turn- both with too + and too - and just right in the air. When you are too +, and it loose some depth

    Thanks for the info on this test..




    Quote Originally Posted by Allcav View Post
    This is what I can tell you. In an air test not super tuned, the quarter should be reached at about 9" and the dime about 7". I wont talk about pennies or nickles at this point. I tried this both with too + and too - and just right in the air. When you are too +, it looses depth considerably. These test are all with the disc level at min. We all know max disc will loose depth so I wont even test it that way.
    I can also tell you that if your coil is out of tune, it could have the same effect. It could also be something in the circuitry but my guess would be the coil.
    Please, before you decide to send it in. Even in an air test. Ground balance the machine properly or your results won't be right. You can also test this your self. If you are indoors, use a hot rock to balance the machine. If you don't have a hot rock, take it out side and balance it and do your tests out there.

  15. #14
    us
    Dec 2012
    Peshtigo, Wisconsin
    Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    467
    128 times
    Metal Detecting
    One thing everyone forgot to mention was to replace the battery and test again. I have also found that fresh test gardens are useless. Once the ground matrix has been disturbed it will need years to get decent test results.

  16. #15
    us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett At Pro, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre Past machines...XP Deus, Vx3, MXT Pro, Outlaw, Vaq, E-Trac, Coinmaster Pro.
    1,339
    537 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rainyday101 View Post
    I have also found that fresh test gardens are useless. Once the ground matrix has been disturbed it will need years to get decent test results.
    Really? Why?
    Test gardens are kinda silly anyway. There is NO WAY you can set up a test garden for real world in field hunting anyway. Way too many variables. Unless you go to the same spot all the time and nothing ever changes (highly unlikely).
    Remember...You are unique. Just like everyone else!

  17. #16
    us
    relic hunter

    Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    456
    72 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    So I've been spending alot of hours between my two Tesoros trying to learn their languages. Lately I've been using the Compadre alot, and digging lots of pulltabs trying to get that gold jewelry that the Compadre seems to like so much! I was doing some depth testing in my test garden and realized the Comp had a tough time finding a dime at 5" just a very faint blip, I wouldn't have probably dug the signal. A quarter was a decent signal at 6" penny and nickel about the same. When I couldn't find the dime I pulled out the old Vaquero and got a nice neutral ground balance. Hmmm... no signal on dime with sensitivity at 6. Turned up sensitivity gradually to max, still nothing. Ok, time to supertune. I had an erratic beep on the dime when supertuned. This was with the 5.75 widescan coil. I decided to switch out with the stock 9x8 concentric. Same results with stock coil. Further air testing proved the weak depth. Air testing on a US quarter was about 6" nickel and penny about the same with the dime hitting at about 5" max. Am I missing something? I seem to have only been finding coins in the 5"-7" range lately, still finding some deep targets, just large junk though. I'm sending it to Tesoro ASAP, just like to hear anyones thoughts on the lack of depth? Thanks
    You can go deeper with sensitivity very low like 3 as higher will pick up the hot rocks,etc. I use all metal and don't discriminate unless just looking for coins at a trash site. I heard a beer can at 12" and dug it anyway and found a bowie knife worth$$$. HH borisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20120127_110816.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	735477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-27 11.05.21.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	735478ps save your postage until absolutely sure as they are good forever especially the waterproof ones.
    Last edited by boris; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    There is nothing as constant as change.

  18. #17
    us
    Dec 2012
    Peshtigo, Wisconsin
    Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    467
    128 times
    Metal Detecting
    Fella, test gardens are good for playing with a detector to get good depth. You can vary settings to see what settings will get your deeper targets. You can also set up coins with junk nearby to check seperation. As far as why fresh dug test gardens don't work good once the dirt is disturbed seems to be a complicated opionated mystery with several theories. When I first put mine I was ready to wrap my detector around a tree because it really couldn't get anything past 4". After a lot of research on the ground matrix etc. and several experienced detectorist saying it won't work fresh I moved on. Took my detector out in the field and went to it. I found coins at 6" with solid tones no problem.

  19. #18
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by chakra22 View Post
    Hi Robert I saw this air test advice for the vaquero so I ran a check on mine-I had 3.5 turns on my ground balance knob-- so I set it at 1.75 turns off of the soft stop I think this is what the book says is a good way to start. Should be close to the middle postion for a starting point.

    Threshold=full , sens=10, Disc=min quarter 10 - 11 in and dime 9-10 in-

    Threshold=full , sens=full, Disc=min quarter 12 - 15 in and dime 10-13 in

    Threshold=full , sens=10, Disc=beaver tail pull tab just past Nickel quarter 10-11 in and dime & copper penny 9-10 in, zinc penny 9 in, Anthony dollar 10-11 in and my cell phone 19 in. a droid x

    I tried this with a half a turn- both with too + and too - and just right in the air. When you are too +, and it loose some depth

    Thanks for the info on this test..
    You can test test it like I mentioned above. However, with these numbers, sounds like you are right on the head.

    To test it, turn your GB all the way clockwise 5 turns. Do your air test. You will notice a huge decrease in depth.
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

  20. #19
    us
    Aug 2006
    New York
    Minelab E-trac
    1,156
    71 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    How do you set GB back to a neutral position?
    What a hobby

  21. #20
    us
    Jun 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    99
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You turn it 5x clockwise then back 1.5x counter clockwise. Should be close
    Robert Martensen
    tesorosupport@hotmail.com
    (928)771-2646

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Why is this not working?
    By Shelly101 in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
  2. WTB Fisher F2 working or not working
    By General Hekimer in forum Treasure Related Stuff Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 24, 2010, 07:07 AM
  3. Sig not working???
    By greydigger in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 AM
  4. someone was working
    By darkkitten2000 in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2009, 08:56 PM

Search tags for this page

air test vaquero not deep

,

is there something wrong with my vaquero

,

tesoro vaquero depth problems

,

tesoro vaquero signals to dig or not to dig

,

vaquero california mineralized soil

,

vaquero or outlaw detector

,

vaquero wont go deep

,

why does my tesoro hit in disc and wont in all metal

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3