Tesoro Cutlass II UMax

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am wanting anyone's thoughts on the Cutlass II Micromax. I found a used one for sale and the seller says it was only used 3 times. From what I read it was an earlier version of the Silver UMax. I did check with Tesoro and they told me they stopped production of the Cutlass in March of 2001, but that they do still have parts for it in case there was ever a need for a repair.

If I buy new it is going to be a Compadre with an 8" coil.

What do you guys think, new (covered by the warranty but paying a bit more) or used (potentially not covered by warranty but save $).

I would also like some thoughts on what you think a decent price is.

Any opinions or concerns are welcomed.

Thanks again

Last edited:

mills27989

Apr 8, 2013
The cutlass 2 Micromax is my main detector, its great. If its a good price I suggest it over the compadre just because you can swap coils. Its similar to the silver micromax except the disc knob is on the right, is marked with numbers not categories, and bat test is at startup. I've found alot with mine...bought it lightly used for $125, with box, sticker, etc.

OP
OP
tribe683

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks mills, that was just the info I was looking for.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I sent in my Sidewinder to have a switch replaced, I told them I bought it used. They replaced it for free and because the coil was bad, I got a new coil. Rusty said if the original repair had been extensive, it probably wouldn't of been covered...but I'm confident any such charge would not have been very expensive. Really Rusty and the service dept. are first rate, top notch, and golden.

So no, I would not hesitate to buy a used Tesoro.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. If you're going to buy a detector used, then starting with one that originally had a lifetime warranty ain't a bad idea.

OP
OP
tribe683

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was on Ebay and ended up going for $128 (+ or - $.50) plus about $10 shipping. I was going to try to do a last minute bid on it, but things didn't work out. Thanks for your input though.

I ended up going with a new Compadre with an 8" coil through Miller MDZ and am happy with the deal he gave me. It wasn't much more than I would have paid for the Cutlass. At least now I am getting a brand new machine and know I will be covered by the warranty. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread