Vaquero and clipped signals

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everybody!
I was hoping for some input on this one. I know in iron infested or trashy sites the Vaquero will pop and click, or get one way signals quite often. I usually only dig the repeatable signals, but I sometimes feel that I am missing something that may be a deeper target. I know if a target is almost outside of detection depth you have to really try (different speeds, different angles) sometimes to get repeatable signals. I've noticed this in a test garden, so I know it will vary in actual hunting conditions. I feel I need to trust my machine more and ignore the pops, clicks and one-way signals and dig only the repeatable signals. Am I not having enough confidence in my detector? Do I need to re-think things? Thanks alot for any input.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't know the machine well enough yet. Yes, you need to trust the machine You need at least 100-hours on ANY machine to really begin to understand its "Language." The real key is going S-L-O-W, keeping your discrimination just below nickel, your sensitivity at about 9, and your threshold about 2pm. I can usually tell a pulltab before I dig it (but I always dig them anyway), and deep iron gives a "grrrrrrrrr" rather than a clean deep silver "zippp." Just hang in there and if you FEEL it is a deep goodie - dig it and find out!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Terry, he knows the Tesoro's.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't know the machine well enough yet. Yes, you need to trust the machine You need at least 100-hours on ANY machine to really begin to understand its "Language." The real key is going S-L-O-W, keeping your discrimination just below nickel, your sensitivity at about 9, and your threshold about 2pm. I can usually tell a pulltab before I dig it (but I always dig them anyway), and deep iron gives a "grrrrrrrrr" rather than a clean deep silver "zippp." Just hang in there and if you FEEL it is a deep goodie - dig it and find out!
Thanks a bunch Terry! Today I did find my oldest coin yet with the vaq, a 1920 wheaty. I found 2 today at 5-6". It was a fairly trashy old home foundation. Both wheats were obvious dig-me signals. I have close to 100 hrs on my V now. Much of that time was spent in all metal mode though. I am noticing the different grunt on iron when in disc lately. In all metal I've gotten used to discerning the 'good' zips from the grunts when hitting hot rocks and other iron when nugget shooting, I need to apply the same theory to iron when in disc. Thanks again

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're on the right track. You'll also get some ?? clicks and scratches from targets right on the edge of wherever you have the discrimination set. Don't back away from digging trash, it goes with the program. Also, you'll sometimes get a target response that doesn't sound quite like what you'll get used to for trash, nor quite what you'd call a good tone, one that just doesn't fit. Always dig - once or twice out of five you'll retrieve a target that is worth the trouble.
luvsdux

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're on the right track. You'll also get some ?? clicks and scratches from targets right on the edge of wherever you have the discrimination set. Don't back away from digging trash, it goes with the program. Also, you'll sometimes get a target response that doesn't sound quite like what you'll get used to for trash, nor quite what you'd call a good tone, one that just doesn't fit. Always dig - once or twice out of five you'll retrieve a target that is worth the trouble.
luvsdux
Thanks for the tips. but Im using a minelab x terra 505 now. It works extremely well in iron with the 19 tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread