First finds with my new Compadre

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a Compadre with an 8" coil on Monday from Tom at Miller MDZ. To anyone looking to buy, I would strongly recommend checking with Tom. I think he gave me a great deal and when I asked him to add a coil cover to my purchase, he threw it in for free. Anyway, UPS delivered it yesterday (Thursday) at about 4:30. Put it all together in about 10 minutes and did a quick air test just to hear what coins would sound like then out the door I went to my yard.

First find was a piece of an aluminum can about 5 1/2" deep. Got a few other beeps that discriminated out above iron, but dug them anyway and got a couple on nails and screws. So then I went to the landscaped area in front of the house and found a quarter, a nickel and a penny and a few aluminum can tabs. It's not much, but it is a start. When I first detected the would be quarter, I thumbed through the discrimination and listened to the tone each time. I thought it sounded a lot like the tones I was getting when I did my air test with a quarter. Dug it up and sure enough, I was right. Right next to it, I got another strong tone and was thinking it may be another quarter. It ended up being a 1/4" lead ball. I really have no guesses as to what it is, but it sure was a pain to find when your looking for a coin in the dirt.

I know it isn't much, but hey, it's $.31 I didn't have before and it's a start.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your off to a good start. Just remember we aren't doing this for any profit as we could get more by working at a fast food place.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new Tesoro - Big Gold to you! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tribe683

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your off to a good start. Just remember we aren't doing this for any profit as we could get more by working at a fast food place.

I know Sandman. The biggest reason I bought a detector was to search some old homesites that my grandparents were born in and possibly recover some type of artifacts that were once in the hands of my ancestors. It's more of a historical thing for me and the item's (if I find any) sentimental value would be priceless.

Just a quick question to anyone who may know, where should lead come in on the spectrum as far as discrimination?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tribe,
Welcome! Wheel weights for car rims should still be made out of lead. Take the metal clip off of it and use it as a target and you will be able to find the setting for your machine in the type of ground you detect in. Best of success with the grandparents homes...................63bkpkr

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know Sandman. The biggest reason I bought a detector was to search some old homesites that my grandparents were born in and possibly recover some type of artifacts that were once in the hands of my ancestors. It's more of a historical thing for me and the item's (if I find any) sentimental value would be priceless.

Just a quick question to anyone who may know, where should lead come in on the spectrum as far as discrimination?

the spectrum of lead depends on various factors like: size, depth, and ground minerals. Most of the lead pieces I find come near foil. The bullet type ones near Tab

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll be surprised at the performance you'll get from the Compadre considering the simplicity and the price.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread