New compadre user needs some help.

cnc_machinist

Apr 24, 2013
I have had my compadre for about two weeks now. I bought the version with the 8" coil. I had been using a ten year old Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101. I had found quite a few coins with it including 2 Indian head pennys and 1 silver Mercury Dime. So far I have been disappointed with my compadre though. It crackles and beeps on every swing. Even just holding it still in the air produces this noise. I have tried using in with the dial set just about in every position. Even dialed all the way up is crackles constantly. I am digging mainly rusty nails and iron bits even set above zinc when I get a signal that will repeat. Many of my signals dont seem to repeat when I try to X them out only in one of the directions. I have tried everything I have learned from the other machine in several different locations and I'm just not feeling it. The old bounty hunter is kicking this compadres butt. What am I doing wrong?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you are doing anything wrong....It is just that the Tesoro is not as dumbed down as the Bounty Hunter. The Compadre is more sensitive and you may not be able to operate it at the same sens as the BH. As being more sensitive you could be picking up EMI fields. Try turning off your cell phone while you hunt and see if that helps. If you have a coil cover, clean it out. Have cable wrapped tight and check you plug connection to make sure you inserted it correctly with the flat ends matching. Join NRA.JPG

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the sensitivity is too high, it can be easily adjusted by carefully turning the proper trimmer inside the unit with a small screwdriver. The two phillips screws hold the face onto the control box. Google compadre circuit board and you can find an image that shows the right trimmer to turn. Turn it in VERY small increments until it quiets down to a reasonable level when held in the air. Clockwise will make it LESS sensitive, counterwise MORE sensitive. Just don't tell anyone if you do it! It's a great machine, and pinpoints easily. Give it a chance.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DO NOT open your machine! Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro 928-771-2646 and explain the problem you are having. You may have a faulty machine, coil cable or coil.

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you hunting, around your house? Do you have a router for wireless internet or an underground dog fence. I have the same setup as you and have the same problems until I move at least 30 feet away from the house. Then when I start getting within 15 feet of the dog fence, the chattering begins again. I then went out to my dad's house to test it since he has none of these things and it worked perfectly.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT open your machine! Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro 928-771-2646 and explain the problem you are having. You may have a faulty machine, coil cable or coil.

Thats is a great idea to call rusty first! Im just saying, if you really needed to adjust the sensitivity, it's not brain surgery to turn the trimmer. Many have done it without the machine exploding! It could also save you a 2 week wait and save shipping costs for you AND Tesoro.

OP
OP
C

cnc_machinist

Apr 24, 2013
Ok. I tried a new battery, shutoff my cell, shutoff my WiFi, no change. Removed the coil cover cleaned off the coil ( it had a little pollen on it) and tried it both with and without the cover no effect. No dog fence. My yard is about a half acre my house was built in 1890 so its got plenty of stuff to find. I will try some parks and school yards this weekend if the rain holds off.

Bigshooter 67

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT-Tesoro Compadre- White's Surf PI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have some type of problem that Terry described. I have had my Compadre about 3 weeks and hunt many trashy lots with nothing you described happening. My Pinpointer does make it chatter if I lay it to close when digging, but as long as it's a couple feet away it stops. I need it to start telling me not to dig pop tops hoping they are nickels:). Good Luck. Dale

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I mentioned the underground fence earlier, but above ground fences are even worse. Today I was hunting near a cow pasture with an active electric fence and the Compadre would chatter at the exact moment the fence was charged. I could tell because I put the fence down and it began arcing on a blade of grass. Every time you could hear the shock, the compadre would talk. I could discriminate it out if I got about 10 feet away from the fence, but in all metal mode it would chatter with every charge if I was within 25 feet of the fence. Anyone else ever have this problem?

jdo57

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2013
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to have a similar problem. I bought the Compadre with the 8" coil. In the past I have owned the Compadre with the 5' coil, and the Silver Umax. I was hoping that the new detector would be kind of like the best of both. I have no qualms about any of their abilities to find a lot of coins, but I was hoping to be able to pinpoint as well as I did with the Silver Umax, and go deeper than I could with the older Compadre. I'm a little diasppointed on both accounts. But my main gripe is the constant chirping of the new Compadre that I don't remember having any problem with on the other two machines. It seems like it may be over-sensitive, but on the other hand, I feel like the Tesoro people are surely smarter about such things than I am, so I am very reluctant to open it up or send it back. Oh well...someday I hope to get a Cibola.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions