Golden uMax, looking for tips!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I bought a used Golden uMax with a variety of coils. I've had some success on clad with it around tot lots and in mulch areas. But when I get out in the parks it seems super chatty. I know this area is pretty mineralized, but without ground balance I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Basically if it's not real close to the surface I can't tell the deep stuff from the random silver blips it is constantly making. Also, I can't get '53 Silvers discrimination trick to work to cut out pulltabs and zinc pennies. So, help me out folks!

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Do you have a new tone golden or a old tone golden?There is a big difference in operation.If you have trouble in mineral ground you need to choose a small DD coil,like a 7".You may have to lower the sensitivity.You may be getting emi,electrical interference at some of these park locations.Be aware of underground electrical lines.Keep cell phone off.The golden is a great detector.Let us know what tone model you have.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have a new golden ( old version). I have learned that with the Golden you must slow down or it will drive you nutsl.

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a new tone golden. I'll give it a try with a smaller coil and see what that does.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
You are lucky to have one.A lot of detectorist want one.Tesoro has the Golden off line right now.If you get to close to overhead power lines if does get noticeable with the Golden.I had a Minelab detector that could not get anywhere near a power line.I got to keep a Golden,it is perfect for park play,it really nails so coins and silver with ease.The Golden can handle as much trash as you can throw at it.

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well SpiritRelic, I would appreciate any tips you can give me. I can be in the middle of a field and the thing chatters like crazy. It will make the silver sound over and over real lightly. Now, when I do run over a coin, it is usually pretty noticeable. I just feel like I must be missing stuff. I only find a little bit of change anytime I'm out. If I could get it to quiet down I know it can find some goodies, since I found that old watch 8 inches down.

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run it low sens, 3-5 usually. I got out to a park with a basketball court today and was vacuuming up the clad around the courts, but anywhere that there was some mineralization the chatting started up.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Oh yeah,you need the 7"DD solid coil for sure.You try that and you will really be gettin the coins that have been missed.You really can not run a concentric in the bad stuff.I love the Golden.The thing with the Golden is mostly experimenting to your liking.I run the notch because i mostly coin hunt with the Golden since that is what it excels at.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody have a clue when goldens will be available again?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread