Compadre air test with Loonies

rmleider

Greenie
Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else found their compadre won't pick up a loonie with any sort of discrimination? If I turn it up just a tiny bit it barely picked up the loonie on an air test. This is a bummer, since if I'm gonna dig clad, I'd like the loonies.

here are the composition stats of the loony:

1987–2011
91.5% Ni,
8.5% bronze plating
(88% Cu, 12% Sn)

2007–2011
some coins used brass plating instead

2012–
steel,
brass plating

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre is a set GB detector and to pick up Canadian coins you can't dial in any disc as they are low in conductivity.

OP
OP
R

rmleider

Greenie
Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else found their compadre won't pick up a loonie with any sort of discrimination? If I turn it up just a tiny bit it barely picked up the loonie on an air test. This is a bummer, since if I'm gonna dig clad, I'd like the loonies.

here are the composition stats of the loony:

1987–2011
91.5% Ni,
8.5% bronze plating
(88% Cu, 12% Sn)

2007–2011
some coins used brass plating instead

2012–
steel,
brass plating

Do you know which machine can dial in disc and still pick up canadian coins?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the Minelab's are all. Every thing else will have a masking effect.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

To find coins containing steel or pure nikkel, you will have to buy a detector with a manual ground balance.

The best one I had for that purpose was a spectrum XLT. You still can find them on the second hand market.

The trick is to eliminate the iron response by setting the ground balance towards salt beach setting, and cut the "ground tracking" function

I remember manually setting my XLT on GB 130.

Doing that, not only will the loonie coin be more detectable, but it will give you a steady ID in the coins range.

I would suggest you to try it out before buying the detector, but it worked OK here with a pre-euro coin that was made out of pure nikkel (99%) that responded "81" on the XLT using this trick.

If you have trouble from ground effects, which I doubt, you will be able to lower the sens.

I had my XLT in the beginning of the euro, and even the 1,2 and 5 eurocent coins (steel core, thin copper layer) responded in the coin range.

It will work with other detectors that have a manual ground setting but I insist on trying before buying, because I know it worked with our coins here but don't really know yours.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate !

Grumpy

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i know is that my mine labs would not pick up all the Canada coins when i used them up there they would null out............... Now my Garrett detecters would pick up any Canada coin .... i used the GTI-1500 and AT Pro up there with no problems........ They would pick up all the Canada coins... My Garretts would sound off on the .. Lonnies . and the Toonie coin....... For the ones that do not know the loonie is a $1.00 coin.... and the Toonie is the $2.00 coin ... In Canada....

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I was hunting in a tot lot and found a Looney about 4" deep within one inch of a big piece of metal.
All other hunters missed it because it was just too close to that huge metal leg, but the Compadre will double beep in situations like this if you swing at just the right speed and I find targets like this that others miss all the time.
This was an older one from the 80's so it disced out high, I hunt in all metal in tot lots so I probably still would have found it if it was a newer steel type.

Hunting in countries where coins are changing to steel is becoming a real drag, I would think.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an Etrac pattern that I believe will work for loonies. It could be tweaked to hit whatever your looking for of course. Good Ay!

Attachments

• image-1814123835.jpg
    image-1814123835.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What if you bought a Canadian metal detector??? :dontknow:
Well if you go under .... Garrett ..... And ask ..John-Edmonton .... John is the Canada hunter that could answer your questions .. He finds more than most with his Garrett's up there................... They do make the Garrett AT Pro in the Euro model he uses......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread