Tesoro Silver umax with 12x10 coil or Tesoro Vaquero for coins/relics?

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I currently have a stock silver umax and have been enjoying it. My main concern is that I might be missing some nice targets 20 minutes away from my house. I recently dug a civil war looking era fork at about 9 inches. I have yet to dig another target from that era in that location and it has me wondering if I keep walking over them? The fork has been the deepest target I have dug at the location due to its size. I have yet to dig a coin-sized target more than 5 inches deep. At this location I would think that there would be more targets from the 19th century than just a fork.

This then brings me to the conclusion of an upgrade to the silver umax or just another tesoro (vaquero). I would be hunting for coins/relics and I have heard the vaquero goes deep and you get extra depth being super-tuned.
But, I have also heard that the silver umax with 12x10 is deep too. Which is more sensitive to coin-sized targets?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, if you purchase the 12 x 10 for the Silver Umax, you will have to send the machine back to Tesoro and have them tune the coil to your machine because it's ground balance is set at the factory. With a Vaquero, you can manually adjust the ground balance, so no re-phasing of the coil is needed.

Second, the Vaquero with a stock 9 x 8 coil will be as deep or deeper than the Silver Umax with a 12 x 10. Good Luck!

OP
OP
damiani1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahh true completely forgot about that, thanks!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people don't send them back to be retuned and have perfectly good results. I'm not saying Terry is wrong, he is right in that if you want optimum performance you could send it back to be retuned. Like I said though most people don't and have perfectly good results. On some of the other forums I have read they say the silver with a 10 x 12 is deeper than the Vaq. Don't know if this true or not but it sure seems interesting. I am thinking of buying one and doing some testing myself. If I do I will post results.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might consider an Outlaw, used Bandido II µmax or Eldorado µmax all compatible with the 12X10 coil and all have manual ground plus you keep the silver for backup or loaner.
luvsdux

OP
OP
damiani1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most people don't send them back to be retuned and have perfectly good results. I'm not saying Terry is wrong, he is right in that if you want optimum performance you could send it back to be retuned. Like I said though most people don't and have perfectly good results. On some of the other forums I have read they say the silver with a 10 x 12 is deeper than the Vaq. Don't know if this true or not but it sure seems interesting. I am thinking of buying one and doing some testing myself. If I do I will post results.

I also read that somewhere too.

And luvsdux I will probably be keeping the silver for a loaner/back-up too. It's a good little machine

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I have the 12x10 and have used it with my Outlaw and Golden. Not really a good coil, I also have the 11" round DD, goes deeper and is much more sensitive than the 12x10. Will be selling it shortly.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 12x10 and have used it with my Outlaw and Golden. Not really a good coil, I also have the 11" round DD, goes deeper and is much more sensitive than the 12x10. Will be selling it shortly.

I thought the 12x10 that comes with the Outlaw is the DD? and is the 11" DD an older coil? I can not find it on Tesoro' site?

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I thought the 12x10 that comes with the Outlaw is the DD? and is the 11" DD an older coil? I can not find it on Tesoro' site?

It seems they have stopped selling the 11" round DD. Yes, the 12x10 that comes with the Outlaw is a DD, were you referring to the concentric version? Same difference, the 10.5 concentric round is much better than the 12x10 concentric. Little deeper but much more sensitive. You will get extra depth with the 12x10 concentric none the less. The other thing is that elliptical coils mess up the tone, harder to tell what targets you have.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were you referring to the concentric version?

I was interested in what coils work best for you, especially since you also have a Golden. Thanks

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I was interested in what coils work best for you, especially since you also have a Golden. Thanks

The cleansweep for most occasions where depth isn't an issue, the 10" round concentric for outright depth and outright sensitivity. The 11" round DD for areas where the ground is too hot for my 10". The 5.75" for tot-lots and other tight spaces. No 1 coil does everything.

When I'm looking for coins and relics, I use the 10" about 85% of the time. Has found many silver since I've had it, and many coppers!

All the coils I've mentioned will go deeper than 5" on decent sized coins (except the cleansweep), especially copper. My Golden LOVES copper!

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DW, looks like the cleansweep would be the ticket for the beach, and the 5.75 would be handy for trashy areas. How do you like the 9x8 that came with the Golden? I do not see the 10" listed, perhaps it was replaced with the 8"?

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks DW, looks like the cleansweep would be the ticket for the beach, and the 5.75 would be handy for trashy areas. How do you like the 9x8 that came with the Golden? I do not see the 10" listed, perhaps it was replaced with the 8"?

They don't sell the 10" anymore, you might be able to find one on ebay like I did. I do not like the 9x8 at all, worst coil on a Tesoro.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info DW, I am going to start another thread asking for advice on use for my current detectors.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is my input on the Silver Umax and the Vaquero. I had used the Silver for over 7 years starting out at tot lots and parks and eventually working my way up over the years to old home sites and CW relics. I changed to a 10 x 12 coil right off the bat and hunted with it for years. I never sent it in to be tweaked by Tesoro and had great success with my Silver. I would on many occasions outhunt my buddies using the high dollar detectors. Most of my collection of relics and my best find ever (my $4k "NC" Confederate wreath buckle) was found with my Silver Umax. My buddies with two different high dollar detectors walked right over it in a small front yard. I loved my Silver Umax and still own it. I too wondered though if I were missing deeper targets, so I bought a Tesoro Vaquero. It took a few outings to get used to the ground balance, but once I did, I found out I had missed targets with my Silver. I used my new Vaquero at a property that I have hit the same areas over and over with my Silver in the past. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the ground balance really made a difference. I started digging CW bullets and buttons right off the bat and some weren't even that deep. The soil was a dirt and sand mix where I started finding the previously missed targets. I couldn't believe my eyes! The best find in that same area though was when I dug my oldest coin ever with the new Vaquero, a 1775 Spanish silver:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ldest-coin-ever-today-member-1700-s-club.html

I am a diehard Tesoro lover and it took me forever to move up to the next level, because I thought there was nothing better than my Silver Umax. I still own my Silver Umax and was going to have it bronzed :laughing7: , but I am glad that I gave the Vaquero a try. It has turned out to be a great machine too. :occasion14:
Hope that helps,
MM

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • button buckle picture.jpg
    button buckle picture.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 243

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Modern Miner. I have the Silver uMax and have pounded and cleaned out some areas with the 8" concentric and have wondered about getting a Vaq or Tejon and rechecking these. I love the Silver and have learned to use it very well. I will never part with it but see a deeper detector in the near future.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Modern Miner. I have the Silver uMax and have pounded and cleaned out some areas with the 8" concentric and have wondered about getting a Vaq or Tejon and rechecking these. I love the Silver and have learned to use it very well. I will never part with it but see a deeper detector in the near future.

Thanks Rainy. I next want to try some shallow water detecting with it in creeks and beach areas around lakes to see how the Vaquero does. There were a lot of creeks running through some of my old CW relic spots that I never tried detecting in. We'll see how it does. :dontknow:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread