Upgrading from my Tesoro silver Umax

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive lately picked metal detecting back up after receiving my tesoro silver for christmas and giving it a couple of goes before putting it in the closet. I want to hunt old parks, occasional beach on vacation, sport fields, any where I can find old coins (silver period and back) and gold jewelry. I dont currently live near civil war fields (Dayton OH) but I move every six months for work so who knows where Ill end up. Im not very interested in propecting but not closed to the idea.

Ive gotten pretty good at listening to my tesoro and understanding its language but I dont feel like its going deep enough. Ive found like 4 wheaties but no silver. A lot of clad has been found.

I am looking for some suggestions on a good mate for my silver (ill be keeping it) and dont necesarrily want another tesoro. I dont have any issues with mineralization and the way I look at it is I could get the 12x10 installed on the silver to increase its performance a little.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all think our detectors are not deep enough to find the silver. Most likely we haven't passed the coil over any yet. The thing is you will never know for sure unless you have a deep detector. More than likely with the deeper detector we will have the same results because we never passed the coil over any silver. Either way, the only way to know is to get a deeper detector. So what do you do? I'm with ya brother, get a deeper detector and know for sure. It never hurts to have another Tesoro!

Because you travel and see different ground types- I would get a Vaquero because it has ground balance. It is supposed to be plenty deep. My guess is the Silver is almost as deep as the Outlaw. The Tejon would be another choice, but if you get into badly mineralized ground the Vaq. does better.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm definitely getting a new detector not only because I want an upgrade but because my wife has said she wants to go sometimes with me. (She found a wheatie the other day when she went with me)
So this is the tesoro sub forum but are there any solid reasons I shouldn't get an at pro when compared to the vaquero or tejon? The way I see it is if the at pro is just as deep as the two mentioned above then it might be nice to have one with the multi tones and a different system.

Would an at pro be a good mate for the silver especially if I got a better coil for the silver?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it is if the at pro is just as deep as the two mentioned above then it might be nice to have one with the multi tones and a different system.

Tesoro is updating the Golden, its due to be released later this year, it may be worth waiting for if you are interested in multi tones?

btw, I think you are having great success just starting out.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
The only real upgrade in performance from a Silver, is to add a GB pot and a large coil. GB makes much more of a difference in depth than sens.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all you want is silver then Minelab is a good choice. however, i have found silver with my Silver U and actually like my Tejon for depth and all around.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only real upgrade in performance from a Silver, is to add a GB pot and a large coil. GB makes much more of a difference in depth than sens.

So the at pro has ground balance and a larger coil. So then the at pro qualifies as an upgrade?

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all you want is silver then Minelab is a good choice. however, i have found silver with my Silver U and actually like my Tejon for depth and all around.

I'd definitely like silver but I want to catch gold rings too and other jewelry. You like your tejons depth but have you ever used an at pro to compare its depth capability? I like on the At pro that you can listen to the tones and it will make a different sound for silver than for what your discriminating out.

Out of the tejon and the at pro, both have ground balancing, both are light weight, both are around the same price range. It's going to come down for depth ability between these two. If the same depth or too close to call then the At pro has the advantage in all the accessories, waterproof, and screen capability ( you don't have to rely on the screen as a lot of people only listen to the sounds it makes which is your only option with the tejon)

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like you are sold on the AT Pro and are trying to justify and get someone to side with you. Just buy the pro and judge for yourself, if you don't like it, sell it.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like you are sold on the AT Pro and are trying to justify and get someone to side with you. Just buy the pro and judge for yourself, if you don't like it, sell it.

That's good advice. I'm asking because in all the discussion of tesoro vs at pro I haven't seen any actual pros and cons when compared head to head. Not looking for someone to side with me on the at pro but actually tell me if the tejon is better and why. If no one does then yeah I plan on buying an at pro this weekend

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be straight up front, I haven't used the Tejon, but I am a Tesoro man. You already do well with the silver so the Tejon would be very easy for you to learn. You already know from the silver that you do no need a display to distract you. You already are familiar with the Tesoro single tone and the concept of hearing exactly what the detector hears. So I say get the Tejon. My opinion is biased because at present I only own Tesoro. I have tried a friends AT Pro and while I didn't like it he does really well with it. I thought the detector itself was an ergonomic disaster and did not like the small display. To be fair I only used it for about half an hour. Using Tesoro I have grown used to trusting my ears. When I used the AT Pro about 10 minutes into the hunt I was fixated on the display and not the tones. As far as depth I would think the Tejon is deeper, but my buddy has dug 8"+ dimes which is pretty darn good. If you were to ask Sandman he would tell ya the AT Pro is a boat anchor and has actually stated that. He has used one and is a quite experienced detectorist. I'm not putting the AT Pro down because a lot of people on this forum are making some extremely good finds with them so it would be hard to say they do not work well. I give the nod to the Tejon on the lifetime warranty that you will probably never need. Either way whichever you choose put plenty of time into learning it and you will do fine with it. I know my Silver Umax inside out from using it extensively and do very well with it.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon is a depth monster. It will run with all of the high end machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread