goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
various websites for MD's sell them just got to do a google search for "5.75" Concentric Tesoro" .. got mine for $115@KC

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but Tesoro dealers/Kellyco are selling them or $109 shipped. Why the extra cost?

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dunno. listed 109 + shipping came out to 115 or so ...... from kellyco search around im sure they could go for cheaper

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This seems like a good thread to comment on coil size(s). When I first started detecting, I had it in my mind that "big is always better" like we do in so many instances. However, after several years under my belt I figured out that in most cases you really don't NEED that extra inch or two of depth and in moderate and heavier trash the large coil can drive you crazy. On the other hand, especially for coin shooting and jewelry with typical park trash, the smaller coils were really useful and much nicer to swing and pinpoint with. So, anymore, If anyone wants my opinion I point out that unless you definitely have a need for a large coil, the small coil is the best addition to the standard coil that came with the detector.
luvsdux

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Rusty's Detectors ships free.

Crimson!

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Silver U Max and Vaquaro, Whites MXT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the 5.75 concentric. I keep it on my Vaquero almost all of the time.

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my extremely short time in this hobby,the thing I love most about this coil is that there is absolutely no need to spend extra cash on a pinpointer. Dead center of the coil everytime.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I just got mine for my Vaquero a few weeks ago and it is like hunting with a new machine.
I fell in live with my Vaq all over again and that love affair continues.

I hunt extremely trashy sites most of the time and sniper coils on all of my detectors are my preferred coil of choice to hunt these areas right.
I am blown away with the just about the same target separation, rapid recovery and extreme sensitivity using this coil as I experience when using my Compadre.
The depth, however, is something that has to be seen to believe.

No scientific tests so far, but this coil seems to go just as deep as my standard 9" and my 10X12 DD coil in my great soil here in Kansas.

Like I said, mount this coil and now it's a whole new ball game.

Mine seems to be real lucky, too.
Found this tiny 14k ring not long after I mounted it.
Huge area, small coil...sheer luck.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I love mine that came with my Outlaw. Picks out the goods in trashy/nail infested areas.

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So being that I am a newbie,what would be the advantages of upgrading my Compadre down the road? I am in love with the reliability of the tone difference in trashy areas(scratchiness/solid) of such close objects. Obviously depth but I really can't think of anything else that would make this machine better for coin/jewelry hunting.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
any other tesoro should be a great upgrade from a compadre. recently got a silver and gold ring on cibola (stock coil) and 1 colonial silver ring with the tejon (concentric coil) - cibola price wise would be a good upgrade. I also hear good things about the other Tesoros. Cant go wrong with them

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
So being that I am a newbie,what would be the advantages of upgrading my Compadre down the road? I am in love with the reliability of the tone difference in trashy areas(scratchiness/solid) of such close objects. Obviously depth but I really can't think of anything else that would make this machine better for coin/jewelry hunting.

Upgrade if you want but don't ever get rid of that Compadre because it does a few things easily that others just can't like double beeping next to big metal like fence poles and tot lot iron...even if a target is literally resting on that big metal.
My Vaq and the 5.75 concentric coil can't do this as much and as hard as I try.

Otherwise the sensitivity on my Vaq with that smaller coil is now very close to my Compadre.
Maybe not 100% but very close.
Depth with my Vaq is the one big advantage over my Compadre even with that small coil, but 98% of the targets I dig are all usually within range of both units...especially the jewelry that I usually aim for.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jarhead, I think if you really need an upgrade the Cibola would be a great choice. You live in Illinois and are probably a Bears fan, but that's not your fault. No, just kidding. I assume you have mild soil and ground balance is not a necessity. The Cibola will give you great depth and have all the Tesoro traits you are familiar with- audio response, excellent discrimination, great target separation. All in all it is not much more complicated but will give you greater versatility and excellent depth. Keep the Compadre though, it would be hard to live without it and it will compliment the Cibola very well. Just my opinion.

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,I appreciate the feedback! I do believe a Cibola would be a good investment this winter equipped with a sniper coil. Happy hunting Fellas:occasion14:

Last edited:

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears fan Pssshhhhh. Prolly shouldn't say this but Steelers all the way. There is a secret group of Steeler fans down here but we gotta stay lo key. The bears and packer fans are not too kind to us lol.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its great for tight spots and accurate. best money spent on the detector, highly recommend getting one for suitable machines

Good to hear! I was thinking about asking santa for a small coil this Christmas for my Tejon. There's a favorite cellar hole that I have been hunting for a few years that I know would benefit from one.

-Swartzie

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5" concentric coil for DeLeon? Would anything special, like sending it back to Tesoro for adjustment, have to b
e done?
Or, just order one, install it, and hunt?

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I'm going to get the 5.75 concentric Tesoro coil as my second coil. I bought a Vaquero with the 11x8 widescan last month that I like, but in public areas, it can be difficult to pinpoint quickly. Trashy areas can be difficult with it. I am looking at getting a smaller concentric, was trying to decide between adding on the 9x8 or the 5.75. I think the 9x8 would not be different enough to spend the money on, so I think I'll get the 5.75 as my second coil. That way I'll have a sniper and a wide scan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread