Tejon unstable ground balance

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a slightly used Tejon last week. I am excited. I got out of hunting about 15 years ago, My last machine was a Bandido II . Ive have owned seven detectors with manual ground balance. I like hunting in all metal. I generally hunt C.W. Relics in Civil War places so I want to hunt in all metal so if I just catch the corner of a target I hear a little piece of it. Then I go back over it in all metal , then I swicth to discrim to check it that way. The Tejon seems to be very unstable in all metal. Even with the power / gain setting cut back. I cut it back as far as a 5 or 6 today and I'm still frustrated because I will set the g.b. and after one sweep its out of tune again. I used a Vaquero last week and did not encounter this unstable behavior. What is up ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could send it in for tuning. You won't have to pay even though you bought it used. If you get too frustrated, sell it to me. :laughing7:

Dan

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with both of these posters - I'd go to a spot where I know there's no possibility of EMI and see how it goes. If that doesn't do it, Call Tesoro and/or send it in. It may be a coil issue as well. As far as selling to Dan B, that's your call, lol.
luvsdux

OP
OP
roaddust66

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunted with it today. First stop was an old house that was being torn down for a service station. We worked right beside the workers on a trac hoe. I put the smaller concentric coil on. I'm not competitive guy but did as well as the guy with me using a $1500 minelab. He hunts all the time. i have not been in the field in 15 years. The machine performed well. Did not hunt in all metal at this site and no problem tuning the g.b. Site #2 Switched to the larger coil that comes with the Tejon. We were in a large plowed field across the road from a known federal winter camp ( 1863 ) . This plowed field is where I encountered problems with the machine. The ground balance is way too touchy. Once adjusted , it would go out of tune in the all metal mode in just a couple of sweeps , either going loud or nulling out quite. So I had to hunt in discriminate one and switching disc 2 and occasionally switching to all metal to tune the g.b. The machine performed well in the silent discrim mode but Its not what i wanted in a machine. I saw where somebody changed the four turn g.b. pod to a ten turn g.b.pod. I'm just wondering why they would build such a touchy machine ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't say that your coil cover is clean of any black sand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try "Fast Tuning" by simply ground balancing while pulling the Trigger Switch back toward you and holding it in All Metal while you are in Discriminate mode. The Tejon IS a very sensitive machine and it takes a few hours to get used to.

OP
OP
roaddust66

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I am discovering the g.b. adjust on this machine is different than past tesoros I have owned. I am watching a number of youtube videos and they have been helpful. It seems that the old days of holding a machine out in front of you , 2 or 3 feet in the air , setting the threshold , and dropping the coil to the ground , then adjust g.b. is not how it works these days. You hold the coil very close to the ground and pump it. I will get the hang of of it. I am a amateur radio guy , so I'm very familar with emf interference. thanks for that suggestion. What kinda gets me is that i have no problem setting the g.b.but it just does not stay tuned for a second or two. And yes and pulling back on the 3 way toggle . Thanks for that suggestion too. I'm not real happy about hunting civil war relics in discrim. I am old school. I went with an Eldorado when everyone else went with a 1266 or a silver sabre around here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread