AT pro or outlaw

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So rainyday, if u were going to buy a detector for "hunted out" battlefields (civil war) would it be the Tejon, CZ, F75, T2, ????

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No engineer ? Are you joking ? Jack put Garrett and Fisher in the dust with the detectors he has designed over the last 30 years. http://www.tesoro.com/info/about/images/giffords.gif

Jack retired in 2004. What new machines has Tesoro produced since then? The Outlaw. That's it as far as I know. And the Outlaw was just a tweak on a previous model.

I would expect the new machine for 2014 to be a slightly tweaked version of something we've already seen. Not that that is necessarily going to be a bad thing. Imagine a Cortes with GB in disc too, with a larger screen. Not a big change but I bet they would sell quite a few. Or a 2 tone Vaquero. Another potential big seller.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggerinVA, For me it would be CZ, F70, M6, MX5, Vaq., Tejon, MXT Pro. Also the F75 and T2 but they are more than I am willing to pay. Bear in mind I am coin hunter/silver seeker who also likes gold rings so our needs are slightly different. If I were to buy right now, I think hands down it would be an F70. I like the thought of a hot detector that needs a little taming. I know the other detectors I listed are deep, but the testing I have seen on Youtube show the F70 to be a depth demon with multi tones and just enough features that I don't need to take night classes to run it. The F70 in my mild soil would be a dream come true.

Honestly though, I think any of those I listed would be great detectors. Heck I even think a Cibola with the ground mod will run with any of them. My inexpensive Silver Umax is one sweet coin and ring slaying machine that has treated me very very well, but I want more depth. The one thing good about the Tesoro's for me is simplicity. I work on high tech electronics/automation all day and sometimes simple is just good, especially if it is simple and effective. Too many features and menus would turn me off. Although the F70 has a digital display it appears relatively easy to operate. For sure the MX5 and M6 fit this category.

Just too many good detectors out there from reputable manufacturers and they all have their plusses and minuses. It's just seems to be a matter of finding what one fits you best.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now you've done brought the White's machines into this mental struggle of mine......atleast you didn't mention any minelabs!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no interest in the AT Pro as I'm not near salt water. Now the AT Gold I'm interested in, but am holding off until I see what Tesoro is releasing next year. If Tesoro brings out a comparable machine to the AT models then I'm going to buy Tesoro.
I can't say enough good things about the Outlaw. Sold my GTI 2500 & Explorer SE which would be collecting dust if I didn't. Great depth, super disc with fast recovery. A pleasure to use in trashy/iron filled areas.
I'm getting the Tiger Shark & Tejon . Hopefully the new model is what I'm looking for also or I'll get the AT Gold. Still don't understand why people get the AT Pro without even looking into the AT Gold. Even if I was near salt water I'd go for the Sand Shark.
Actually the AT Pro is recommended for fresh water, NOT saltwater.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
I went with the AT Pro, and so far I'm finding all the junk that a tesoro wouldn't have found. Ah! Did I make the wrong choice?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the AT Pro, and so far I'm finding all the junk that a tesoro wouldn't have found. Ah! Did I make the wrong choice?

Its gonna be a good 40 hrs just to get to know the AT Pro. I think you just need to learn it & you will be glad you chose it. HH

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated my ATP for 2 weeks! Now i love it.....listen to the tones in pro mode....listen for the grunts of iron and the roughness of the trash targets. It will come to u, I promise. A good target, if not in a hole with a nail or something will sound off crystal clear with no roughness or grunt. Mashed cans sound great too....to check for cans raise the coil 6 or so inches off the ground if u still hear it, its probably a can. Coins and such will fade away when the coil is raised. The main thing is patience and dig it all for a while to learn what the ATP is telling u...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread