outlaw and stainless steel silverware

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Hi folks , im just curious on what yu guys would say about this , My outlaw just barley gives a signal on stainless steel silverware , but in all metal it will tear it up , i haft to hunt in disc hunting old house places , but what if there was some stainless steel silverware lurking around , i usally hunt with the sens between 3 and 5 and the dis around foil , this takes out the small nails and some old rusty pieces of tin , but it kills the staniless stuff tho ,,any suggestions :)

Reed

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks , im just curious on what yu guys would say about this , My outlaw just barley gives a signal on stainless steel silverware , but in all metal it will tear it up , i haft to hunt in disc hunting old house places , but what if there was some stainless steel silverware lurking around , i usally hunt with the sens between 3 and 5 and the dis around foil , this takes out the small nails and some old rusty pieces of tin , but it kills the staniless stuff tho ,,any suggestions :)

Reed

Im sure some will say this is normal and the outlaw is the best thing going. To me this definitely sounds like a defective machine. Silverware (stainless, plated or silver) should hit, & hit hard on pretty much any detector. I'm not sure what's up with the outlaw's but I've read alot of interesting 'problems' with the machine and more than a few have been sent back for repairs. Not good news for a fairly recently introduced machine. Keep us posted and good luck!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an example of understanding how the different Tesoros are designed. Many are programmed with a bit of iron/steel discrimination when in the discrimination mode, even with the knob set to 0. Then, when you flip into all metal mode the same target sounds off loud and true. I made a call to the factory years ago when I'd added a Silver Sabre umax detector to my arsenal. It didn't beep on the light nails in the flooring under my rug whereas the Compadre I had sang out on them. Turns out the Compadre is in all metal when switched on and the Silver Sabre is in Disc unless the all metal pinpoint is depressed. Same results as you describe, so it's normal. The purpose of this design was to help keep down the chatter in trashy parks etc. If you're looking for iron it's probably a good idea to hunt in all metal. Also, not a bad idea to set the disc where you want it and hunt in all metal and switch over to see if the target discs out or not.
luvsdux

Last edited:
OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Thanks i was thinking it was the same thing, Surley there can't be anything wrong with this detector its just too good ,may start doing what luvsdux said hunt in all metal after i have done searched the old house place in disc mode ,cant hurt , Im starting to look into getting a tejon maybe sometimes next year , But thanks for yu guys inputs :)

Reed

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an example of understanding how the different Tesoros are designed. Many are programmed with a bit of iron/steel discrimination when in the discrimination mode, even with the knob set to 0. Then, when you flip into all metal mode the same target sounds off loud and true. I made a call to the factory years ago when I'd added a Silver Sabre umax detector to my arsenal. It didn't beep on the light nails in the flooring under my rug whereas the Compadre I had sang out on them. Turns out the Compadre is in all metal when switched on and the Silver Sabre is in Disc unless the all metal pinpoint is depressed. Same results as you describe, so it's normal. The purpose of this design was to help keep down the chatter in trashy parks etc. If you're looking for iron it's probably a good idea to hunt in all metal. Also, not a bad idea to set the disc where you want it and hunt in all metal and switch over to see if the target discs out or not.
luvsdux
YEAH WHAT HE SAID, my wife and I have noticed that the above statement is true, she with her Compadre will pick up on some Iron in her disc mode that the Outlaw will not when in disc. For me if I want Iron or Relics then I leave it in Auto All Metal. With over a month of use with this machine sometimes three or four days a week and up to 9 hours at a time the only "PROBLEM" Ive had is my arm is wearing out, MY OUTLAW is solid! Also as far as the Vaquero and the Outlaw go pinpointing with the Outlaw is superior than the Vaq.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't want to get too technical in my response as I'm not sure how best to describe it, but what we're discussing here is the difference in 120, 160 0r 180 acceptance you'll see listed in the specs on the detectors. Most casual users are satisfied with the lower numbers whereas the real hardcore relic hunter prefers the 180. I think that's more or less accurate. Good hunting in 14.
luvsdux

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luvsdux

That sounds about right, you tend to have to flip switches and turn knobs while hunting with most Tesoros. I think it's a joke to have to switch to all metal when you are already at minimum disc. Too time consuming constantly fiddling with knobs. To each his own! Hope it works out good for you. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread