When do you send them in for "retune"

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
I have a couple Tesoro's and I love them. One is a compadre and the other is a silver sabre umax. The umax was a hand me down sort of. I don't think that there is a major problem with it but I've read on here and other places that people send their machines in to be retuned or serviced. Is that necessary??? I'm not positive that the umax is running at peak performance. The red pin point button seems to stick and stay in threshold mode. Here is a pic of an air test I did. Yes it's inside on the floor. The disc was at about 6.

If you've sent yours in could you tell me why. Also will they work on them even if I personally didn't buy it?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1603215733.jpg
    image-1603215733.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
Wow that picture really didn't work right. Haha. Anyways it was getting a $.25 at 9" and dimes at about 7.5/8 "

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is a $50 diagnostic charge if you're not the original owner. It will also cover certain repairs. I have a Diablo uMax in right now being checked out. Even though the unit air tested pretty well for me, it turns out the coil had an issue and is being replaced and calibrated. Give them a call-they're very nice and will explain everything you need!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say that lookis about right with the disc as high as 6. Lower or no disc should give a bit more. On my SSumax I get 8" on a quarter with 0 discrimination set, sensitivity at 10, brown donut coil. I have one that I replaced the push button with a toggle switch so I can leave it in all metal. With the settings described in all metal I can get 10". If you try, you'll find that from around 6 and higher depth will be affected adversely. In ground depth will be less than the air test as well. As to sending anything in, if you change the coil to one you'll use most of the time, it may pay to send it in to be tuned in order to get the maximum possible from that coil and/or if the detector no longer performs as well as it has. That's one thing IMO about an air test - it gives you a base to compare back to from time to time. In the past, Tesoro has done these checks for free even if you're not the original owner, but more recently I'm not sure. Call to find out.
luvsdux

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you might try some electronic spray cleaner on that button. ( an radio shack ) item

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that picture really didn't work right. Haha. Anyways it was getting a $.25 at 9" and dimes at about 7.5/8 "

No, no, no! metal detectors dont need re-tuning! They usually re-spin (retune) the coil IF a detector leaves the factory with not enough or too little windings on the coil. Detectors dont have parts that degrade or stretch, requiring them to be re-tuned like a car or guitar. Please contact Tesoro before wasting theirs & your time and money sending back a machine that works perfectly fine. These wasted expenses are really putting the hurt on Tesoro hence they now charge for service. Never has anyone needed to send a White's, Minelab or Fisher for a 'tune up' why would Tesoro be any different? Anyway good luck and HH!

OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
No, no, no! metal detectors dont need re-tuning! They usually re-spin (retune) the coil IF a detector leaves the factory with not enough or too little windings on the coil. Detectors dont have parts that degrade or stretch, requiring them to be re-tuned like a car or guitar. Please contact Tesoro before wasting theirs & your time and money sending back a machine that works perfectly fine. These wasted expenses are really putting the hurt on Tesoro hence they now charge for service. Never has anyone needed to send a White's, Minelab or Fisher for a 'tune up' why would Tesoro be any different? Anyway good luck and HH!

Yeah I really thought that everyone sending in their machines for "check ups" sounded crazy. Also bad for the company to do unnecessary work.
I made a test bed at 6" in iron infested ground near a driveway and house. It is still very new so the ground isn't totally settled. We tested 5 machines on a penny, nickel, dime and quarter. The SS umax was the only one to pick up every target.
Machines were: compadre 5.75, sovereign elite with 10" tornado and 15x12 sef, Excalibur 2 and whites coinmaster gt.

I am going to make another bed in "clean" ground to see how the others work. The umax did great in the trashy bed.
I really think I like this detector.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I really thought that everyone sending in their machines for "check ups" sounded crazy. Also bad for the company to do unnecessary work.
I made a test bed at 6" in iron infested ground near a driveway and house. It is still very new so the ground isn't totally settled. We tested 5 machines on a penny, nickel, dime and quarter. The SS umax was the only one to pick up every target.
Machines were: compadre 5.75, sovereign elite with 10" tornado and 15x12 sef, Excalibur 2 and whites coinmaster gt.

I am going to make another bed in "clean" ground to see how the others work. The umax did great in the trashy bed.

My particular vaquero didnt do well in a fresh test garden. One way signals and chirps on dimes at 6" and 7.5-8" on air test on same dime. I would like to see how a Minelab X-terra would do in your test. I've found copper pennies with my 505 that buried my Lesche past the handle!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
My particular vaquero didnt do well in a fresh test garden. One way signals and chirps on dimes at 6" and 7.5-8" on air test on same dime. I would like to see how a Minelab X-terra would do in your test. I've found copper pennies with my 505 that buried my Lesche past the handle!

Great!!! I would like to see an x-terra 505 in this test too. Send me one!!!! Haha

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christio's trying to all but give away a 705 barely taken out if the box with a spare coil!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Silver Sabre umax has been one of my favorites for a long time. I have several as my wife likes it as well. Use it and enjoy it.
luvsdux

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro has been the one promoting sending in your detector to have it tuned to another coil?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another coil? Not in my case, stock coil. Robert (allcav) said my air test results were indicating that it may have left the factory with improper amount of windings on the coil, upon his recommendation I sent it in and after "testing" they re-tuned the coil. This increased depth by about 1/2", barely worth the effort. I really don't understand how the performance of a detector would change unless there is a hardware component failure of some kind. There should be no way the coil windings would actually change and degrade performance after extended use.
Tesoro has been the one promoting sending in your detector to have it tuned to another coil?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant speak on your case, just from personal experience communicating with Tesoro on purchasing new Coils, Tesoro recommends for optimal performance to send your detector and new coil purchased to the factory to have the detector tuned to the new coil, or at a happy medium between 2 coils that are used the most. Its not the Coils they are tuning, but the detector itself. It is my guess this is what the OP was referring to?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think Tesoro retuned your Coil, once they are set in resin, I do not think there are many repairs that can be made.

OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
Does all this retuning and sending machines back for adjustments only apply to versions without manual ground balance ??

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my understanding. I have not had the need for a manual ground balance machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is my hold back to buying a Tesoro .. I have to pack it up pay shipping to have it retuned .. I never had to ever had to retune any other brand of detector i own… Why Tesoro ?????

OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
That is my hold back to buying a Tesoro .. I have to pack it up pay shipping to have it retuned .. I never had to ever had to retune any other brand of detector i own... Why Tesoro ?????

I have never had a problem with mine. The pinpoint button seems to stick every once in a while. That was the whole reason I asked the question about sending them in.
I think that like was said earlier that if you change coils the machines can be tuned to give the max out of the new coil. I'm just guessing but if other companies offered free "check ups or retunes" you would hear about them being sent in all the time to get the max out of them.
You should try a compadre. Super fun detector.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does all this retuning and sending machines back for adjustments only apply to versions without manual ground balance ??

Apparently so. After I had my Silver uMax for a while, I bought the 11" widescan (DD) Tesoro coil for it.
It worked fine, but I started getting problems -- sometimes a long, solid beep from it.
After shaking it a bit, the beep went away. I would use it for a while longer, then
the solid beep would come back again. I thought something was shorting out in the coil.
(I put the original 8" concentric coil back on it and had no problem.)

I talked to Rusty at Tesoro and he told me to send both the coil and the control box from
the Silver uMax (it's not a Silver Sabre, by the way) back to Tesoro. They ended up
replacing the 11" coil and they also told me they re-tuned the control box.

Later I talked to Rusty and asked him exactly what they did when they re-tuned it.
He said re-tuning was simply resetting the fixed ground balance in the control box. He said the
11" coil would be too chirpy in many types of ground (such as their ground in Arizona)
unless the ground balance was adjusted. (I had told him that I planned to use
the 11" coil as my primary coil, so he recommended the re-tuning for it.)

Apparently re-tuning is only necessary in fixed ground balance machines, such as mine.
Anyway, my machine has been fine ever since, using the new 11" coil they sent me.
I worry that I might get less depth if I put the 8" coil back on, but I like the
11" so much that I've stuck with it. I would probably set the sensitivity knob
higher than usual if I went back to the 8" and hope that compensated.

--Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread