Choices, choices, choices

TheSanDman333

Apr 22, 2012
Viola, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for an upgrade from my ace 250. Wanting a machine that will go deep, but don't require a PhD to operate, and also doesn't break the bank. That's why I feel like tesoro would be a worthy participant. But with so many models out there, what one would be the best for searching old homesites that may be infested with iron. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with Dan....in alot of iron the outlaw 3 coil package. But remember you're getting close to ATPro price and it is killer at oldhome sites and in heavy iron. Outlaw is a good machine also.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the research on the different Tesoro models before settling on one. Make sure you feel it suits your needs. But Tesoro makes very quality detectors and have for many years. Very good service and warranty to boot........TR

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, the Outlaw with the 3 coil package would be a good choice.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Outlaw - hands down!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Price ? Outlaw will set you back about $500 and change. Easy to use? YES. Good in Iron infested trash sites? You will hit on larger Iron even maxed out on the Disc, but Im sure its that way for most machines! Small iron will be rejected , like Walter White trying to give five bucks to Walter jr. Also the really sweet deal is you get 3 nice coils!!! The DD is really Double Deep. So DITTO , the OUTLAW!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for an upgrade from my ace 250. Wanting a machine that will go deep, but don't require a PhD to operate, and also doesn't break the bank. That's why I feel like tesoro would be a worthy participant. But with so many models out there, what one would be the best for searching old homesites that may be infested with iron. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:
Not many require a 'PHD' to operate. 40 hours is usually enough to get a good handle on most detectors. Be sure to check out any known problems for a particular model when you are looking purchase a detector. Remember, with most Tesoro's, you will have no TID or any way to ID what is in the ground, other than a single (same) tone for every metal, lead, gold, copper, pulltabs, silver, etc. I do not trust a discrimination circuit to separate a mercury dime from a nail, so I use NO disc and dig based on my own choices, which is nearly impossible with one tone in trashy sites. If you don't have $ to burn, be sure you aren't stuck with something that you aren't happy with, I lost over $200 on my last "amazingly deep" detector, dug more trash than treasure, even after over 80 hours of practice.

Last edited:

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the same from me Outlaw w/ the three coils. I dig mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread