Unexpected vaquero

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep targets do not "disc out" or "ID" where they are suppose to.....for example, a deep 3-ringer might ID around the foil range on an ATpro....and i have dug really deep bullets with the F75 that even wanted to bounce down to iron....depth and ground conditions greatly effect true VID numbers or in the Vaquero's case, where they disc out....

Known as iron shift. Happens on deep targets even the Tesoro detectors.

In Scott's case it comes down to size of the bolt, possible iron halo also. In the end where the target discriminates out is based on target conductivity.

I agree that thumbing the disc to make target determinations can be horse and buggy. That is why I don't do it. I set my disc level based on how much trash there is. If there is a lot of trash that disc setting is usually just short of a zinc penny. At my disc setting if the target sounds sweet from 2 directions I dig. With a cherry picking setting just short of zinc I still dig some non-coin items. This is usually because they are round and have a conductivity above that disc setting. It happens.

When I want rings, the disc is set at foil. I dig any targets that sound sweet from 2 directions. I dig tons of crap, find nickels, and once in a great while get a ring. That's the life of ring hunting. No detector, multi-tone, TID, or whatever can tell if the target is a ring. A rings conductivity can be all over the disc range. If you are gonna go ring detecting you are gonna dig trash no matter what detector you use.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Known as iron shift. Happens on deep targets even the Tesoro detectors.

In Scott's case it comes down to size of the bolt, possible iron halo also. In the end where the target discriminates out is based on target conductivity.

I agree that thumbing the disc to make target determinations can be horse and buggy. That is why I don't do it. I set my disc level based on how much trash there is. If there is a lot of trash that disc setting is usually just short of a zinc penny. At my disc setting if the target sounds sweet from 2 directions I dig. With a cherry picking setting just short of zinc I still dig some non-coin items. This is usually because they are round and have a conductivity above that disc setting. It happens.

When I want rings, the disc is set at foil. I dig any targets that sound sweet from 2 directions. I dig tons of crap, find nickels, and once in a great while get a ring. That's the life of ring hunting. No detector, multi-tone, TID, or whatever can tell if the target is a ring. A rings conductivity can be all over the disc range. If you are gonna go ring detecting you are gonna dig trash no matter what detector you use.

Post up some of them ring finds rainy! I need some inspiration!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread