Lobo gives false signals

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I have this issue with both coils which I have, so its not a coil issue.

I'm using tesoro lobo to hunt in fresh water lakes, I put the main unit around my neck and it works just perfectly.

The main unit has never got wet or so.

Here is the issue: whenever I put the stock coil or the 10x12' dd one, I get falsing when my sensitivity is on max and disc is put at 1.

Last year in the same lakes I did not get any falsing but now whenever I swing I usually get cracking sound in the headphones, its getting rather difficult to distinguish the cracks between the real signals.

when I put disc at 2 and sensitivity to 10 this issue disappears but I lose depth.

What could be causing this issue ?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you're running the sensitivity too high for the preset ground in the discrimination mode and/or the preset ground in discrimination isn't a match to where you're hunting. The auto ground tracking on the lobo only works in all metal.
luvsdux

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Follow up - if you're running with coil covers, remove them to make sure you haven't picked up sand or other mineralized debris.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Follow up - if you're running with coil covers, remove them to make sure you haven't picked up sand or other mineralized debris.
luvsdux

removed the cover, there is a shitload of sand inside, so I washed it away, not going to put the cover back though.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save the covers for when you're over dry rock on land etc.
luvsdux

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have this issue with both coils which I have, so its not a coil issue.

I'm using tesoro lobo to hunt in fresh water lakes, I put the main unit around my neck and it works just perfectly.

The main unit has never got wet or so.

Here is the issue: whenever I put the stock coil or the 10x12' dd one, I get falsing when my sensitivity is on max and disc is put at 1.

Last year in the same lakes I did not get any falsing but now whenever I swing I usually get cracking sound in the headphones, its getting rather difficult to distinguish the cracks between the real signals.

when I put disc at 2 and sensitivity to 10 this issue disappears but I lose depth.

What could be causing this issue ?
You are running your sen too high also when in disc the disc side is pre set for grn bal so may not be grn bal properly so u get chatter run your sens down a little and it should settle down rwd mo

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
You are running your sen too high also when in disc the disc side is pre set for grn bal so may not be grn bal properly so u get chatter run your sens down a little and it should settle down rwd mo

the thing is, last year I didnt have any issues in the same lake(s)...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand under cover...I finally glued my cover on ...got tired of taking it off to clean all the time!

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Sand under cover...I finally glued my cover on ...got tired of taking it off to clean all the time!

will test it on Sunday :) hopefully the falsing will be gone, are you a fellow lobo+fresh water lake hunter ?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When the items on the peg board settle down you may have a different metal detector also the interference in the air will also make a difference but I've used Tesoro's and was a dealer for years and if u set the grn bal wrong OR the SENS too high u get the bad falsing but especially if grn bal is off a little and that is a preset grn bal in the disc side.Don't know if u got a Lobo or a Lobo super track? Maybe you're trying to squeeze out too much sens to keep up with the other kinds of detectors?? (also the moisture might be different in the ground at the time) to make things different. rwd mo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread