Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro's single tone

Recently, I made a short park hunt with a new to me Vaquero that has the high tone mod. Even though I'm just getting to know this machine, I've got a lot of hours in with Tesoros. I quickly noticed the tone difference when over a coin compared to the typical foil and junk. The discussion of the variations in Tesoro's single tone comes up fairly often and I, like many newbies, couldn't tell the difference until I had quite a few hours of detecting under my belt. While I can't think of a way to describe what is often called a "round" sound, once you get to know it, that description works. For those that are struggling with this concept, I'm here to tell you it really does work. After you have enough hours on your detector, one day you'll realize that you too can now hear what many have tried to describe in words.
luvsdux

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I also have a Vaq with the high tone...I ordered it that way but I had no experience with any other Tesoros up to that point.
I enjoyed it immensely, but a few months later I also bought a Compadre and eventually came to the conclusion that I like the lower tones better.
When I switched back to using the Vaq I no longer enjoyed listening to that high tone, it actually became kind of annoying after now having experience with another lower type.
I am going to send mine in for a little free service and I called them and asked how much it would cost to change it back to a low tone and the cost was only $15 so that was what I was going to do....but then I started thinking.

After awhile I came to understand that the most annoying thing about that high tone is when it came to foil and aluminum.
When I ran over any of that, especially the larger types of can slaw into the zinc and high tone area, I knew it every time because that very "tinny" sound I heard just grated on my last nerve and made me grind my back teeth every time.
I know other tricks to help tell trash from good targets, but this sound is so unusual to my ear and so telling it is the perfect way to tell foil and can slaw for me 99.9% of the time quickly and efficiently and almost instantaneously... when I gnash my teeth I am hearing foil or aluminum, and I have dug a ton of garbage like this checking targets over time to know this method is pretty darn accurate for me.
Way more accurate than I ever would have believed if you would have told me it was this way before I ordered mine.
I am not sure if this is just an ability I have or have learned because of my specific way I hear things while using that high tone Vaq frequency or if others can do this too, but I hope it can be replicated by others if they know to listen for this very annoying tell and they also use that high tone Vaq.
I am afraid if I switch back to the low tone this instant ability to tell this type of trash might not be so easy anymore, or at least as fast and efficient.

Because of this I changed my mind about switching to that low tone.
Why would I give up such an accurate way of doing this on a type of trash that is so prevalent out there?
Except for that foil and can slaw the high tone isn't all that bad, and I can deal with it knowing there are advantages to continue using that high tone for me even knowing that listening to low tones is a little more fun and relaxing for me.
If I need a break I can always switch back to the Compadre if I need to, anyway.

It sounds like you are doing great and really starting to get a handle on that Tesoro language.
Just wait, there is even more to experience and learn about the sounds of targets and how to tell good from bad.

Those that still post about how they think these things are just beep and dig machines just makes me laugh.
There is so much more to those beeps and tones and sounds and clues you can get by manipulating that disc knob than many know or will ever understand.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they put 3 tones in one? Low-iron, medium-gold/nickel, and high-clad/silver. I'd order one today.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my new to me Tejon the tone can be varied, for the first few hours I was finding clad, but it seemed annoying in trash, and switched to VCO variable sound pinpoint and to a normal target sound... Today in black sand the stock coil wasn't ground balancing well and switching to the Tigershark remedied that and with the same tone I was back finding... So for me I want the same tone on both machines ! I did place an order for the 5.75 widescan coil ! So perhaps I will try high tone again...

One more thing: my eye caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a pocket knife sticking out of the sand, now here is the key point, I swept my coil over it and it beeped...now I have a question... Because I was Detecting at the time and my detector Beeped would it be considered a Detector assisted find? After all I would not have found the 50 year anniversary old timer schrade pocket knife had I not been detecting! :dontknow:

OP
OP
L

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I consider any item found while swinging a detector a detecting find even if it's actually an eyeball find.
luvsdux

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they put 3 tones in one? Low-iron, medium-gold/nickel, and high-clad/silver. I'd order one today.

Sure they can put three tones on one but then you'd miss out on more targets. To understand this better you need to read, Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Tes...399465077&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+the+tejon
Fortunately its a Kindle ebook so many or you will never learn how to fully use the Tejon and Vaquero to the fullest advantage or learn about the new Tesoro's.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've owned everything from the Silver to the Tejon, Sand Shark and Tiger Shark. I couldn't see going any further up in their line after using all of those. Sometimes I wish I had kept the Shark only for surf hunting instead of taking a loss.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure they can put three tones on one but then you'd miss out on more targets. To understand this better you need to read, Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero. Amazon.com: Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors eBook: C. Thorsten: Kindle Store
Fortunately its a Kindle ebook so many or you will never learn how to fully use the Tejon and Vaquero to the fullest advantage or learn about the new Tesoro's.
thanks sandman, downloaded the Book and gave some of it a try... I am now using the variable tone and adjusting it for a normal sound(3 o'clock) and double checking that the signal sounds the same when pulling the trigger into fast tune all metal rather than VCO... I was able to pull clad out of an area that was just to noisy and annoying for my Quattro and DeLeon, both with auto ground balance and larger coils...I am still waiting to be fooled by what I know to be a pulltab and dig it anyway! I am not hearing those deep soft coin signals the author refers to... Hopefully, because they ain't there!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure they can put three tones on one but then you'd miss out on more targets. To understand this better you need to read, Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Tesoro-Tejon-Vaquero-Detectors-ebook/dp/B00GN27CTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399465077&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+the+tejon
With such a basic detector, I really don't see how a book would be necessary with the Vaquero. It's really not that complex tech wise to need a book IMO

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With such a basic detector, I really don't see how a book would be necessary with the Vaquero. It's really not that complex tech wise to need a book IMO

Lol! Are you a mind reader Scott?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe that lack of complexity is the real advantage of analog machines...it didn't take long 35 or 45 years ago for much of the silver to disappear within the depth of analog machines back then... The deeper harder targets is the whole point of the book... The depths where digital machines only find iffy signals! It explains how manual ground balance can be used as a discriminator on targets so deep that all other machines consider it junk...it is about having a skill and not digging numbers!

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the one tone , but having a low, med, and high tone that could be toggled on and have the ability to adjust the entire audio range to fit within a notch you select...Or a ferrous to conductive sound toggle! As long as it was an option I am for it!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would compare the Tesoro and ID detectors to analog TV... I could watch TV 50 miles from the station behind a hill and have a ghost image that I learned to ignore... now the signal is broadcast digitally and no TV can be watched without Satellite... Those weak signals are simply ignored!

It can take hours to set up a digital lathe...it is impractical for making 1 part... An old analog lathe and a skilled operator can make the part before the CNC can be set up... Good analog lathes are no longer made... Only cheap china impostors... We are lucky Tesoro is still around!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe that lack of complexity is the real advantage of analog machines...it didn't take long 35 or 45 years ago for much of the silver to disappear within the depth of analog machines back then... The deeper harder targets is the whole point of the book... The depths where digital machines only find iffy signals! It explains how manual ground balance can be used as a discriminator on targets so deep that all other machines consider it junk...it is about having a skill and not digging numbers!
I owned my Vaq and Compadre for over 1 year and swung them for nearly 100 hours each, so I learned to only rely on tones, not numbers. What you said makes perfect sense. However, no amount of tweaking the knobs, power balancing, supertuning, etc.. allowed me to get more than a faint, iffy blip on a 6" dime with a Vaquero in a (fresh) test garden. I dug many of these 'blips' in the field & not one was ever a dime, or deeper coin. I wonder what's in that book that would have made any difference?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned my Vaq and Compadre for over 1 year and swung them for nearly 100 hours each, so I learned to only rely on tones, not numbers. What you said makes perfect sense. However, no amount of tweaking the knobs, power balancing, supertuning, etc.. allowed me to get more than a faint, iffy blip on a 6" dime with a Vaquero in a (fresh) test garden. I dug many of these 'blips' in the field & not one was ever a dime, or deeper coin. I wonder what's in that book that would have made any difference?

Scott you would have to read the book to learn what your missing and why. If you don't own a Kindle you can download the reading app for computer and read the book there. The Vaquero is not a simple machine as many believe.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott you would have to read the book to learn what your missing and why. If you don't own a Kindle you can download the reading app for computer and read the book there. The Vaquero is not a simple machine as many believe.

Its odd to me that one would use the gb knob to id deeper targets? If it works with the Vaq, then I assume the same theory would apply to other manual gb machines as well. Thanks for the info Sand

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would compare the Tesoro and ID detectors to analog TV... I could watch TV 50 miles from the station behind a hill and have a ghost image that I learned to ignore... now the signal is broadcast digitally and no TV can watched without Satellite... Those weak signals are simply ignored! It can take hours to set up a digital lathe...it is impractical for making 1 part... An old analog lathe and a skilled operator can make the part before the CNC can be set up... Good analog lathes are no longer made... Only cheap china impostors... We are lucky Tesoro is still around!
Not with a Mazak CNC. I have many years on both manual and CNC and any part with complex features I can produce 1st part quicker with the Mazak.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread