I took the plunge....

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, good luck. get the online book "mastering the tesoro tejon and vaquero metal detectors" has good stuff in it. if on facebook, join the "all about tesoro metal detectors" lots of tejon users on it for advice.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GL and HH ponz...

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep ponz
The Tesoro Tejon is one fine machine and deep two...just read the manual over and over/understand it ....then take it some place where it can find something good...remember location counts to higher % of good target recovery rates.
Gary

OP
OP
P

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks all. I have already downloaded and began reading the book. I'll check out Facebook also. A shovel is on the way. I'm not 'that' interested in coin shooting. I want to find relics, particularly CW stuff.

Since it's 2nd hand, I'm having it shipped directly to Tesoro, first, for a once over. That will give me peace of mind.

My hat is off, so far, to Keith at Fort Bedford.

Study time!

Ponz

ps - when will email notifications be fixed?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations and Good Luck! :occasion14:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't worry about tuning it perfect at all times. I have found my Tejon is very touchy to tune at times. But guess what ? Just get it close and dont worry because a Tejon slightly out of ground balance is better than most other detectors. Give it two or three months of use before judge whether you like it or not. Between my wife and I we have eight detectors and guess what ? If could only own one...it would be the Tejon ...good luck to you and report back and watch all the youtube videos on the Tejon as well as other Tesoro detectors

OP
OP
P

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been researching detectors up one side and down the other. My head hurts. I hope I have the patience, ear and skill to get the most from the Tejon. I have good hearing and am not tone deaf, so that's half the battle from what I've gathered about the Tejon.

I realize changing ground conditions warrant occasional tuning, but I'm wondering how much of that I'll encounter.

This weekend would have been good to have it. Temps in the 50s. Crappy cold weather on the way...

Ponz

Don't worry about tuning it perfect at all times. I have found my Tejon is very touchy to tune at times. But guess what ? Just get it close and dont worry because a Tejon slightly out of ground balance is better than most other detectors. Give it two or three months of use before judge whether you like it or not. Between my wife and I we have eight detectors and guess what ? If could only own one...it would be the Tejon ...good luck to you and report back and watch all the youtube videos on the Tejon as well as other Tesoro detectors

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ponz, how is it going with your tejon? I'm asking cuz I just bought mine last night and should be here in a couple of days. Just looking for info and tips regarding this powerful machine. THX

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ponz,
I may have been the previous owner of your Tejon but maybe it is only a coincidence. As a first detector, the Tejon, if you will take the time to get the hang of it, it will last you many years. I might suggest that you start by just using the primary discriminator until you start to learn the language of the Tesoro. Tone "quality" is king and tells you almost everything you need to know. I wanted to try a good TID machine and traded my Tejon for one. Now I am back to Tesoro (another Vaquero actually with 2 coils). I looked through my finds records and the Tesoro's found me the most stuff of any of the 4 brands I have owned. YMMV but I am just sayin...
Good Luck and HH
Dtektor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread