Sand Shark - VCO vs. Normal mode

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

While I did found this topic on the subject, I'm still not sure I clearly understand the difference between the two modes. This weekend I took my new Sand Shark to a couple of "test drives" on our local sea beach,working with both of these modes.I've noticed that VCO will provide me a good indication on the depth of the target,while the "Normal" mode will not. If that's the case,why/under what circumstances one would want to use the "Normal" mode?

Thank you in advance:)!

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe some people have said that they can get more depth in Normal than VCO.
I haven't noticed any obvious difference, although I haven't tried to measure it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FIRST, go to page 12 in the manual and MAKE SURE you have set your tone frequency to match YOUR hearing the best. Do you hear high or low tones better? Set it to the frequency you hear the best. This will really help you hear whisper breaks in the threshold. Next, set your pulse width to about 3/4 power (2-230pm position). Turn your threshold up to where you can barely hear a hum above the waves and wind noise - like a mosquito hum, and use the machine in NORMAL mode for added depth.

The reason I say to use Normal mode, is because you can hear the slight or "whisper" breaks in the threshold better and more clearly than you can when in VCO mode, which is mainly used for pinpointing a target. It will take you about 50-100 hours on the headphones to really start to "hear" or recognize these slight breaks in the threshold that will score you much deeper finds.

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for responses.
This weekend I was testing my new SS on the beach(wet sand line,didn't enter the water) in both VCO and "Normal" mode,and on this point found no major difference between the modes,except of the fact I could change the tone for Normal mode,but looks like I can not for the VCO.

Still can not get used to this threshold permanent humming in my ear and I wonder if I can do something about it.
A bit frustrating after my ACE250,where I was simply getting a clear sound on a target,listening to waves and the winds in between.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a huge transition from the ace250 to the sand shark!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Terry....very clear and well written.

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a huge transition from the ace250 to the sand shark!

Yes,it is.Getting used to dig a lot of rusty nails,and this humming,this constant humming in the ear...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you know how to use a threshold and you get used to having it while hunting you won't want a machine without a threshold. I like the CZ but only hunt in Autotune so I can hear a threshold, then flip to disc side to check targets. Sweep target from different angles, I do about a 180 degree circle while doing a short sweep and listen for a "consistent" round sound. If you hear a double hit or a long sound one way and a short sound the other the target is probably junk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you know how to use a threshold and you get used to having it while hunting you won't want a machine without a threshold. I like the CZ but only hunt in Autotune so I can hear a threshold, then flip to disc side to check targets. Sweep target from different angles, I do about a 180 degree circle while doing a short sweep and listen for a "consistent" round sound. If you hear a double hit or a long sound one way and a short sound the other the target is probably junk.

Thank you for the advice. Will make some tests on my next hunt using your tip:).

Last edited:

jtindover

May 8, 2012
Dover , DE
Detector(s) used
minelab Equinox 600,Minelab Excalibur 2, White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre 8", Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going on 3 years with the Sand Shark. I don't dive with it but I have used both Normal and VCO modes. I prefer VCO but try to use it in Normal mode for few weeks every year just to switch it up. I absolutely love threshold wish my other machines had it! Terry knows the machine pretty good. I will try and see if I notice any difference in normal mode since I have been in VCO all winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread