Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experiance with the two coils has shown that the pin-pointing edge may go to the 8" doughtnut hole and the 9x8 has the egde on depth. This has been MY experiance OTHERS may differ.The diff is only by a fraction or two.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was explained to me sometime back what the differences are between the two coils. The 9 x 8 inter coil windings is smaller than the one that's on the 8 inch coil. In other words, the inter and outer sending and receiving windings (antennas) are closer together on the 8 inch coil which makes it able to detect a target a tad closer to a wall. Not really enough to be concerned about. I mainly hunt over grass so I don't use a scuff cover to make it lighter and not have to worry about removing and cleaning between coil and scuff cover all the time. The 8 inch coil is built in such a way that the 8 inch coil is less likely to get damaged without a stuff cover on it. I like the 8 inch coil better than I do the 9 x8, but are far as performance between the two it's not enough make any real difference.

tabman

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used both types on the 5pin models, in my expereince I'd give the spider design a very slight edge in depth, but not enough to be excited about. I personally prefer the 8" donut as it hangs up less in taller grass, brush etc.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread