Vaquero: first hunt.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Vaquero today so I took it out in my pounded yard for a test drive. Started with fairly high disc setting and the vaquero didnt have much to say. So I lowered the disc to the five cent mark and got a few misc. Targets from depths of 4 to 6 inches. I did find 3 copper lincolns that shared their holes with iron junk. The most impressive target was a tiny brass bell, probably off a cat collar, that I pulled from the depth of nearly the length of my propointer. This was found while playing with super tuning.

When compared to the Eldorado the Vaquero is first noticably deeper....maybe two inches on coin sized targets. This is not using super tuning....but there is a trade off. The trade off is in the disc circuit. The Eldorado has a much "crisper" disc. It seems to completely eliminate an unwanted target quicker when disc is raised, where the Vaq will break the signal up but not eliminate it completely. But in my opinion the added depth of the Vaq will get more keepers than the cleaner disc.

I dont care for the pin point on the Vaq...but I dont like pin point on garrets machines either. I like Fishers pinpoint the best. I had no problems pin pointing targets by crossing them up with the vaq. All were dead center of plugs. First impression, I like the vaquero and cant wait to take it to a spot with more targets. I am a big fan of DD coils and think the new 11x8 coil would really make this a machine I could love.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll end up really liking the Vaquero. :icon_thumright:

My favorite setting is a slight hum on the threshold, just a little negative on the ground balance, full sensitivity and just enough discrimination to discriminate out nails. At that setting I ignore most short choppy audio signals and dig the smoother round audio signals.

If I find myself digging too much foil, I'll raise the discrimination to where a foil cap will just barely discriminate out and be a little less selective on the audio signals that I dig.

When cherry picking at sites that are loaded with pull tabs, I'll set the discrimination up just high enough to just eliminate most pull tabs and dig any repeatable audio signal.

Like you, I find pinpointing by x-ing the target the best and fastest. I'm usually dead on using that method.

Sometimes when a get a iffy weak broken audio signal and push the pinpoint button and get a strong wailing auto response, I will ignore that target and move on, because it's a strong likelihood its a trash target.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pinpoint on MX-5 the best but I like the Vaqueros VCO very well too. I can't remember is the Vaq PP a retune or no-motion AM? One thing I forgot about the Tejon was its fast retune in PP that I wish was a no motion AM. I liked the CZ pinpoint not the omegas. Go figure!

Congrats on the new machine!

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITs a retune....

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes, the pin point button is not needed for actual pin pointing. but is useful for other things. good to hear you are liking it so far. it is a good detector.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you are liking the Vaq. I never use the pin point on my Tejon because I got so use to just X-ing the target with my Silver uMax and Tiger Shark. One of the first times I used my Tejon I found a dime one inch deeper than my Pro Pointer and it was not a faint hit. The Tejon and the Vaq give great depth for a very reasonable price. Good luck and keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread