Tesoro Cibola - Well It Finally Rained

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have been getting some rain for the last few days, so I thought I'd go back to place that I detected before and see if the digging would be a little easier. I got to the site about 30 minutes after daybreak and sure enough the ground was really easy to dig in.

I set my Cibola up with just enough discrimination to discriminate out a iron nail, a little negative on the ground balance, a slight hum on the threshold and full sensitivity.

I decided to work the grassy area between the curb and sidewalk super slow so I wouldn't miss anything. Right off I found a 1943 War Nickel. It was only a few inches deep and sounded really good. I was also finding a few wheat pennies which is always a good sign.

The Sterling Silver Ring kinda fooled me. It sounded like a deep dime. You just never know until dig.

The cloudy sky grew darker and darker until it seem like it was nighttime, so I started working my way back to the car, because I didn't want to get soaking wet.

Right as I was getting back to car I got a great audio tone. I just knew it was big silver coin. It turned out to be a car wash token.

I only got to detect for about an hour and half before the heavy rain set in, but it was really enjoyable, because I haven't been detecting for nearly two weeks because of the heat and dry ground. I'll hit it again tomorrow!:icon_thumright:

tabman

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20002_zpsnfd6c7fg.jpg
Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20005_zpsmqeggtb9.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20007_zpstxxlricy.jpg
Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20008_zpsy5orfcs4.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20012_zpszlwm9d72.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Sterling%20Ring%20010_zpsa85wzdyd.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I set my Cibola up with just enough discrimination to discriminate out a iron nail, a little negative on the ground balance, a slight hum on the threshold and full sensitivity...

How do you "ground balance" a Cibola, and have a threshold when using discrimination?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Gratz Tabman! I love them war nickels!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you "ground balance" a Cibola, and have a threshold when using discrimination?

I have a modded Cibola with a ground balance and trigger switch added. I set the threshold and ground balance before switching over into the discriminate mode. The threshold is silent in the discriminate mode, BUT if carries over into the discriminate mode and affects the audio response.

I found that using a slight threshold hum gives me the best modulated audio response in the discriminate mode and I can still be able to pinpoint or size a target in the all metal mode without getting my ears blasted.

If you use too little threshold when in the discriminate mode the audio response is too modulated and deep small targets are hard to hear. I keep the threshold set exactly the same on every hunt. Doing this helps me gauge the depth of a target by the loudness of the audio response.

tabman

Last edited:

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding pulls for the short time frame you had! I haven't detected for about 4 weeks and later this evening I plan to hit some parks here in Colorado Springs. I almost sold my detector (only have one LOL), but glad I didn't. Hope the ground here is tolerable - will keep yall updated!:laughing7:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding pulls for the short time frame you had! I haven't detected for about 4 weeks and later this evening I plan to hit some parks here in Colorado Springs. I almost sold my detector (only have one LOL), but glad I didn't. Hope the ground here is tolerable - will keep yall updated!:laughing7:

Thanks. Taylor I can't imagine you not doing any detecting for 4 whole weeks. I'm glad that you ended up keeping your detector, because it seemed to mesh with you super well. I was thinking about you the other day when I was in a bad part of town. I would have felt much better having you along. Do keep us posted with your great videos.

tabman

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, tabman. I assume the stone in the sterling ring is junk/fake?

I like your line, "You just never know until dig". That has practically become my 2015 mantra!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, tabman. I assume the stone in the sterling ring is junk/fake?

I like your line, "You just never know until dig". That has practically become my 2015 mantra!

Thanks. Yeah, the stone is junk. A Walking Liberty laying next to a nail or a pull tab sounds different and gives different ID numbers than just one waved in front of a search coil by itself. I've dug a lot of silver coins and nails out of the same hole with my Tesoro detectors.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread